CP Tube line-up Metro JTM45 BB Combo

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Livingstoni813
Just the numbers in order: 13492

CP Tube line-up Metro JTM45 BB Combo

Post by Livingstoni813 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:47 pm

Happy New Year gents. Been lookin around at current production tubes for my BB Combo, no interest in NOS. Really liked the new Mullard 12AX7's and VA KT66's that came with the amp, but I'm interested to hear the results of varying thing up a bit. Figured here would be the best place to get suggestions/opinions from professional tube rollers. Anyway, here's what I've been looking at so far. For the KT66's, I kinda have my heart set on the Genalex Gold Lions. For the preamp, Mullard 12AX7/ECC83, Genalex ECC83/B759 Premium, and JJ ECC803-S/12AX7 Gold. Then for the rect, either the Genalex or Mullard GZ34, not sure if it'll make much of a difference which. From the reviews and experiences I've read, these seem to be the most favored CP tubes for the BB circuit. Feel free to let me know about your love, hate, suggestions or cautions of the tubes I've listed, as well as your own personal preferences. Also, please state where you feel each tube would perform best for the pre's V1, V2, V3, and why, would like to learn as much as possible while getting your suggestions. And last, preferences of where to order from. I've read enough threads around here to know if I was going NOS, TubeTramp is the final word, but since I'm only working with current production, so far I've ran into thetubestore.com or tubedepot.com, any member preferences on that would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

yladrd61
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: CP Tube line-up Metro JTM45 BB Combo

Post by yladrd61 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:06 pm

I compared Valve Art, Gold Lion, and Shuguang Treasure KT66s in my Metro GPM 45. I like the Shuguang Treasures the best. Nice high and low end and breakup. I am running NOS pre and rectifier tubes.