SED Winged C / new sensor confusion

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Dries
Just the numbers in order: 7

SED Winged C / new sensor confusion

Post by Dries » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:02 am

Hello,

I have a question, are the below tubes actually the Winged C's , or already new sensors? It seems they are from '98, but almost all 'winged C's' sold online are from post 2000.

I thought Svetlana stopped producing in the St. Petersburg factory and moved to the new sensor one?

Thank you!

GilmourD
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: SED Winged C / new sensor confusion

Post by GilmourD » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:17 am

Dries wrote:Hello,

I have a question, are the below tubes actually the Winged C's , or already new sensors? It seems they are from '98, but almost all 'winged C's' sold online are from post 2000.

I thought Svetlana stopped producing in the St. Petersburg factory and moved to the new sensor one?

Thank you!
Actually, it wasn't production that moved.

What happened was that the SED forgot to renew the Svetlana trademark in the US and New Sensor took advantage of that by registering for it themselves.

SED continued manufacturing tubes until only a few years ago, just under different branding (Winged-C) while New Sensor started production of tubes under their newly acquired Svetlana brand.

Mike Matthews has generally been good for the musical instrument industry but I think everybody can agree it was a jerk move on his part to grab somebody else's trademark because of a mistake.

Given that those tubes say "Made in Russia" on them, they're the New Sensor version.