Miller Sound Productions 4x12 cabinet...mystery manufacturer

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Hypnos
Just the numbers in order: 7

Miller Sound Productions 4x12 cabinet...mystery manufacturer

Post by Hypnos » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi guys, I guess I'm what you'd call a "born again" guitarist (although I much prefer to work on instruments as opposed to playing them). Anyway, I have a question about a 4x12 speaker cabinet. I bought it, used, back in the late 80's. It's made by Miller Sound Productions; it's a closed-back internal slant front design, loaded with four Celestion G12-65 speakers. I haven't played through it for a couple of years now (Mesa-Boogie S.O.B. 60/100 watt head). It sounded pretty good, too.

I've tried to Google the company but have come up with no leads regarding this cabinet. Can anyone provide any details on this? If it's worth it, I'll overhaul it with new Tolex, speaker cloth, handles and casters.

I'll get some pics up later tonight.

Hypnos

Re: Miller Sound Productions 4x12 cabinet...mystery manufact

Post by Hypnos » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:38 am

Got a few pics up...

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:49 am

From what I can see I'd say no not worth it. But let me ask the baffle and side made from MDF or fine ply birch? Is there a reinforcement of the split in the baffle on the outside? That little inside piece isn't enough. The insulation is that original? Marshall stopped using it around '65 I guess other companies might still use it. Some people really like those speakers they are worth a good deal more than the cab. On the other hand if you like the sound that is really all that matters. Clean it up but don't put a bunch of time and money in restoring it you won't get it back.

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Baffle looks like chipboard. Putting insulation in a guitar cab is like putting a rope around your neck, pull it nice and tight then try to sing. Take that shit outta there is all I'd do and play it OR, put the G1265s into a decent cab with NO insulation :palm:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:26 pm

There was a guy locally named Fred Miller who built lots of stuff like this in the 70's. He passed away in the early 80's IIRC.
He made mixing boards, speaker cabs, power amps ect. Even wound transformers himself.
I've worked on several things that he built over the years, but can't say if this is a Fred Miller piece. It looks the part though.

I'll try to find pics of other gear to compare the badge.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Hypnos

Post by Hypnos » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. The interior insulation is original, but for all I know a previous owner may have added it. I'll remove it and see how it sounds. As for the interior reinforcement, that's all there is; construction seems to be fiberboard, but I may be wrong. Worse comes to worse I can yank the speakers and stick them in an empty quality cab. :thumbsup:

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Hypnos wrote:Thanks for the replies. The interior insulation is original, but for all I know a previous owner may have added it. I'll remove it and see how it sounds. As for the interior reinforcement, that's all there is; construction seems to be fiberboard, but I may be wrong. Worse comes to worse I can yank the speakers and stick them in an empty quality cab. :thumbsup:
Let us know what you think removing the insul did to the sound mate.
edit: Or maybe not.