Plexi Headbox- Small box

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

hdahs
Just the numbers in order: 7

Plexi Headbox- Small box

Post by hdahs » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:24 pm

I've checked a few different sources for headboxes for a 50W Plexi I just finished. My questions is this: It seems to be boiling down to 2 choices:

1. Buy a headbox with the shield plate already installed, but do the measuring and drilling for chassis bolts myself

or

2. Buy a headbox pre-drilled for the Ceriatone chassis I used, but with no shielding installed.

I'm trying to decide which would be less of a headache, sourcing, cutting, and installing the shield plate, or measuring and drilling the chassis bolt holes. Actually Mather cabs will do it all, but comes with a 10-11 week wait at the moment.

Any advice, experience, or insight would be greatly appreciated!

philmanatee

Re: Plexi Headbox- Small box

Post by philmanatee » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Get a roll of roof flashing at Home Depot, it's easy to cut and staple into place for a shield. Phil

hdahs

Post by hdahs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 am

Appreciate the tip! :D

Chevelle

Post by Chevelle » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:34 pm

I got my headbox from Mather and drilled the holes myself as I wanted to make sure the chassis fit was perfect. Drilling the holes took 5 minutes with a right angle drill adapter i bought for $15 at Lowes.

I was really impressed with the mather headbox quality and price and the wait time was worth it to me.

hdahs

Post by hdahs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Pete definitely does top notch work. Was debating between Gabkits, Splawn, and Mather. Gabkits uses either dovetail or box joints, Mather uses through dovetail joints, and I'm not sure of Splawns construction methods, only that the cab are built inhouse.

Gabkits are predrilled for Ceriatone chassis, but no shielding, and about a 30 day wait. Splawn are not predrilled, but appear to be historically accurate, include the shield plate, and about a 2 week wait. Mather comes with all of the above, including per drilling, and a stellar reputation for quality. That also equates to a 10-11 week wait.

All are priced within $20-$30 of each other.

I'm leaning toward Mather, and the idea that the quality is worth the wait.