Need some help about Ohms and Attenuators

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

bobtec
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Need some help about Ohms and Attenuators

Post by bobtec » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:01 am

I some times need to use my SE100 type Reactive Load Attenuator with my 100wslp I have (2),2x12 cabs one is at 4 ohms and the other is 16 ohms all the speakers are 8 ohms I tried useing my 16 ohm cab and it popped my Power tubes The attenuator manual said I can go down to 2 ohms,will someone help me out What should I do I only want to use it when the people next door are home and the Attenuator has a built in 50 watt SS power amp. :what:

neikeel

Re: Need some help about Ohms and Attenuators

Post by neikeel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:13 am

If you are only going to use the SLP then I suggest you rewire your other 2x12 to 16ohms. If you then plug both your cabs into your head output jacks then select 8 ohms.

If you are interposing the SE 100 then you plug the amp (set at 8ohms into the jack marked speaker level input which I believe is marked 8ohms). You then need to plug in an 8ohm load (y-splitter to your cabs).
As the SE 100 can be used as a dedicated load box I am not sure how pernickety it is about using the correct speaker out impedence (Hotplates are supposed to but do half half a step leeway, my Motherload states you must use correct load out, but again not sure exactly why).
Neil

bobtec
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by bobtec » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Nick It is really a PS Systems Power Tool It is based from the Se100 and the Groove tube one it was made in 1992 http://www.pacair.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or EB100s.com it says you can run it down to two ohms I had it at 16 ohm and the cab jack was loose both on the nut and the ground was loose also I used a cheap China jack I think thats why I popped the new Power Tubes Can I just undo one 8 ohm speaker and run it I am only useing it when the people next door are home Amp at 5-6 everything else dimed,and the Power Tool set like my SLP on 1-2 It also has a built in SS power Amp and FX loop,Its a cool box I had it for almost 20 yrs but hardly used it Both my cabs are 2x12 Fenders with vintage 30watt Fanes in one and 60 watt WHS in the other to Save my Jensens C-12

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:52 am

No need

x2 8 ohm speakers in series = 16 ohms
Neil