Okay--WGS Reaper or Hellatone 30?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

jpage

Okay--WGS Reaper or Hellatone 30?

Post by jpage » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 am

Looking for classic early 70s kerrang--these two are in my budget. Pros/cons? Putting them in a Marshall 4x12 and running various early Marshall and Marshall-esque 50w NMV heads through them.

Majorlead78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Okay--WGS Reaper or Hellatone 30?

Post by Majorlead78 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:56 am

The Reapers would get my vote. Also, check out this link below. "Troublehead" does a comparison on both the WGS Reapers & the Hellatone 30's. It might hold the answer to what you're looking for.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which Reapers are you interested in? The regular 75 hz, the 55 hz or the High Powered ones?

David

jpage

Post by jpage » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 am

The regular 75hz. I ended up going with the Hellatones--the price is right on both but I heard from quite a few people that the standard G12h30s were 'harsh' and that the Reapers were 'smoother'. To be honest, that scared me away from the Reapers in this cab which I want to retain hi end when pushed on stage. When you combine stage volume with power amp distortion, it seems to rob a lot of 'cut', and as I mentioned I'm looking for Kerrang! I will definitely check out some Reapers eventually and maybe when I do I'll mix two in with two Hellatones? For right now, after about 50 hours of Moby Dick pumping through them, IMO they sound great. I usually aim for 100 hours of John Bonham working a new set of speakers before I judge...

jimmyride
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jimmyride » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 am

Bonzo would be done with them in less than five minutes... :-)