Mojo and Marshall tolex compared

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

shakti
Just the numbers in order: 7

Mojo and Marshall tolex compared

Post by shakti » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Here's a photo which shows the difference between the generic tolex used by Mojo on their Marshall repro headcabs, and the genuine Marshall black levant. The bottom cab is a Mojo cab I got from Metro, which I just finished re-tolexing with genuine Marshall levant, and a Music Ground repro logo to top it off.

As you can see, there are subtle, but distinct differences between the two. The Mojo tolex is a little thinner, the "pebbles" are slightly smaller and not as elevated, and there's less space between them compared to the Marshall levant. More importantly, there's a distinct colour difference. The Mojo appears very black, almost shiny. The Marshall is more mattè, and has a charcoal tone, maybe some hint of green in it. I know some people disagree that there's any green in it, but that's what I see.

Here's another up-close photo which shows a patch of the Marshall levant next to a Mojo headcab (top) and a Swanson-made BB cabinet with real Marshall levant (bottom). Not the difference in grain between the two.

Anyway, I thought it was worth to show you the difference. Enough that I thought it worthwhile to re-tolex the cab. Doing that work made me appreciate just how nicely those Mojo cabs are tolexed though...they must have some kind of upholstery wizard working for them - all the corners are super-tight and sharp, and somehow they manage to tolex the corners of the chassis front cutout without adding extra wedges of tolex, it's all done with one piece. A shame though that they don't go the extra mile and just use the Marshall tolex right from the start.
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Mojo and Marshall tolex compared

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:01 pm

The Mojo tolex is thinner, allowing them to use a heat gun or hair dryer to stretch the tolex without the wedges normally used with better tolex.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

jcmjmp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by jcmjmp » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:42 pm

I don't use the cheaper imitation stuff. It just isn't worth it IMO. I got some once and it just doesn't cut it for me.

ampman72

Post by ampman72 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:34 am

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I have a 71 cab that suffers from mojo tolex and need the charcoal, who is the supplier for this?

Thanks!
Always looking for early 70's marshalls

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:18 pm

http://www.tubesandmore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have the genuine Marshall tolex.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

ampman72

Post by ampman72 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Thank you!
Always looking for early 70's marshalls