Who is building Scumback Speakers now?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Who is building Scumback Speakers now?

Post by Strat78 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:03 pm

I've got three more old dead celestians for reconing, anything changed with the reconing schedual or process, think I'll try the black back specs this time. :D

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:11 am

Strat78 wrote:I've got three more old dead celestians for reconing, anything changed with the reconing schedual or process, think I'll try the black back specs this time. :D
Nothing has changed in the reconing process, although it's going to take about 10-12 days to recone the speaker right now due to increasing sales.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Jef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Jef » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:48 am

It's good to hear you're feeling better, Jim, and great to hear you have so many orders.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:28 pm

It's nice to be back to normal...oh...wait....I'm not normal! LOL

Actually it was great to lose 9 lbs since I quit smoking and got a Nordic Track to work out on at home. Maybe I won't gain so much back... :roll:

Orders certainly are going well. Sales are over 25% higher this October than all of last October, and there are a few days left to go in this month, too.

With the sales that came in overnight, I'm back to 198 speakers on back order as of 10 minutes ago. Good thing I just setup a station here in the workroom to build speakers. I just got done treating 18 cones so I'll be able to build those later today and try them out tomorrow after the glue and doping cures overnight.

I should have done this years ago.
310-833-6632

Roe

Post by Roe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:42 am

Scumback Speakers wrote:...
Yes. I saw Pete Thorn at the LA AMP Show. When he's done with his tour we're going to do new clips of all the current models. He dug the BM75's, and wants to try a mix of M75 & BM75's.
I'm also interested in the m75/bm75 mix. please keep us updated!
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:41 am

Roe wrote:
Scumback Speakers wrote:...
Yes. I saw Pete Thorn at the LA AMP Show. When he's done with his tour we're going to do new clips of all the current models. He dug the BM75's, and wants to try a mix of M75 & BM75's.
I'm also interested in the m75/bm75 mix. please keep us updated!
+1 > > > salivatin' for the clips/vid. THEN I'm pulling the trigger!
dave

Jef

Post by Jef » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Well, I just received my new Scumnico today and I have to say it's a thing of beauty. Every part on it seems improved over the previous version. The assembly is meticulous.

By the numbers, it's very close to the earlier iteration, with a lower resonance of 78 Hz rather than the Weber's 88 Hz, and a slightly higher Qts (.65 instead of .61). This translates to a Vas of 1.4 cu ft, as opposed to the Weber's very small 1.1, but 1.4 is closer to the norm, meaning it will work better in most commercial cabs.

What? How does it sound? You want me to listen to it?!? Jeez, next you'll be wanting me to play my guitar!

My first impression: this is best guitar speaker I've ever heard.

Now, that's with a dimed Marshall and a very large pine cab meant for the other Scumnico. It'll take me a while to do some A/B tests with other speakers and try other amps, not to mention build a cab specifically for it. But at the moment, I'm very happy and just wanted to thank Jim for making the wait more than worth it.

Q: Who's building Scumback Speakers now?
A: Some very talented people.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Jef, thanks very much for the kind words. In point of fact, since I wanted to take the blame in case anything went wrong, I personally built your speaker. I know...risky...what the hell was I thinking, right? :palm:

So I'm glad to hear you're digging it.

And now I have to go build four H75-16 ohm PVC (paper voice coil) prototypes since the M75 PVC's are done. Shakti and Roe are NOT letting up on me to slack off on the new models.

Oh, for those who wonder...the new production team and I have built/shipped over 500 speakers in the last six weeks. We're down to about the last 80 that are prepaid (up through today), and should have all of those done by next Tuesday at present build/production rates.

So if anyone was wondering, lead times are about 4-5 days plus shipping. And pretty soon, if we get enough of a break, I'll actually have 100 speakers in stock...just got to keep ahead of the 8-12 speaker orders per day and whittle down the prepaid orders.
310-833-6632

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Hey, Jim...any update on your BM75 audio/video clips? I'm really looking forward to hearing them. Thanks!
~guitar007

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:03 pm

guitar007 wrote:Hey, Jim...any update on your BM75 audio/video clips? I'm really looking forward to hearing them. Thanks!
Later this week when Pete gets back into town I hear. Probably next week realistically with uploading, etc.
310-833-6632

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:38 pm

Jim...your new Blackback Series speakers sound fantastic in those Thorn videos. Congrats on another outstanding product offering. They're certainly on my list.

With the resent talk on the forum concerning the breaking-in of speakers...I'm curious to try it out. I have one of your v1.0 (Blue Frame Weber) M75 speakers I'd like to try it out on (and a variac). I looked through your site & on this one for info on how to do this and didn't find any. I may have simply missed it. Can you provide guidance on how I can safely break in my speaker with a variac? Thanks.
~guitar007

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:00 pm

guitar007 wrote:Jim...your new Blackback Series speakers sound fantastic in those Thorn videos. Congrats on another outstanding product offering. They're certainly on my list.

With the resent talk on the forum concerning the breaking-in of speakers...I'm curious to try it out. I have one of your v1.0 (Blue Frame Weber) M75 speakers I'd like to try it out on (and a variac). I looked through your site & on this one for info on how to do this and didn't find any. I may have simply missed it. Can you provide guidance on how I can safely break in my speaker with a variac? Thanks.
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/resourc ... eak-in.rtf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:40 pm

rgorke...thanks, bro. :wink:
~guitar007

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:24 am

guitar007 wrote:rgorke...thanks, bro. :wink:

Any time, I knew Jim was sick.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:47 am

rgorke wrote: Any time, I knew Jim was sick.
Thanks for posting that, Roger. I just got over that food/stomach/poisoning crap yesterday, and got out of the house for the 1st time today in six days. Damn that was nasty.

I lost 9 pounds in four days...a new record. :palm:

It was nice to have real food today, trust me.

Back to building speakers and doing recones tomorrow. I'll get yours going tomorrow, into the FBI box, and it should be ready to ship out on Tuesday (Fedex doesn't pickup tomorrow).
310-833-6632