Scumback H75 HP vs M75 HP

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Scumback H75 HP vs M75 HP

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:12 pm

BaronGreenback wrote:out of interest how do you test for cone cry on a speaker? using a sound wave generator? sounds like you have some cool gadgets there jim. :rock:
Yes, I have a waveform generator that goes from 20 hz to 20 khz. I have it hooked up to my old Randall RG-80 combo for testing next to my work desk. It's fairly easy to pinpoint where a speaker will have sound issues.

Just an FYI to anyone reading. Every speaker will have cone cry in one place minimum, which is the resonant frequency for that speaker. The trick is to build a speaker that has cone cry outside of an electric guitar's usable range. I've had some fun pinpointing where old Celestions have cone cry, and replicating that tone OUTSIDE of a cabinet (unmounted). Once you mount the speaker, that changes, so you have to know where it will have cone cry based on how you treat the cone and build the speaker, so that it doesn't have cone cry when mounted and played.

But the important factor is to build a speaker that doesn't do this within the usable range of your guitar.

If your speaker has cone cry in multiple places, you're basically hosed, and you'll have tone/cone cry/sounds like a$$ issues.

One of the problems that happens with over-tightening a speaker is that you change the resonant frequency, which also changes where the cone cry will occur. That's why I have specific instructions on how to mount/tighten your speakers.

I realize a lot of players think "I'll just tighten these mounting bolts up to what I think is solid so I don't have to EVER worry about it...". I wish it were that simple. It's not, as I have found out through many experiences in testing speakers.

OTOH, once you dial it in, and have lock washers on your bolts, you're usually good to go for years. Notice I didn't say "forever". Speakers vibrate, cabs get moved and banged around, yada yada...that all leads to bolts loosening up over time. You're going to need to check your speaker bolts based on your handling, traveling, banging them around, how loud you play, etc.

I realize a lot of you would like to think "I can't be bothered, they're just speakers."

It just isn't that simple, gents. Just like your car needs an oil change every 3000 miles, or new tires every 40,000 miles, you need to check your speaker bolts every once in a while.

And with that I'm going to sign off for today, get some supplies in from Home Depot (bathroom is getting new linoleum), and watch the Super Bowl.

Hope you all have a good weekend!
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632