Scumback M75 pre rola sound like advertised?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

awangotango
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Scumback M75 pre rola sound like advertised?

Post by awangotango » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:32 pm

so you're saying you can't type the truth. you can only whisper it privately to your buddies. that's a blatant infringment on the 1st ammendment, sorry. the case would be thrown out in court. it's not meant to ruin someone's reputation or business. it's just someone's opinion and you know what they say about opinions are like a-holes, aeveryone's got em. disregard his if you differ. Plus, it was unrealsistic to expect a 65w speaker to sound like a 25w. But I can testify, even the 25w didn't sound exactly the same as pre rola. scums are a bit flat in comparison. Still not a critique, just a statement to my 'buddies' here on the www

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Has everyone read the description of the speakers Ruben received? It hasn't changed in years. Just to be clear, here it is:

M75
Warm, detailed midrange enhanced guitar speaker with smooth overdrive and distortion tones. Great sound right out of the box due to factory aging, design and break-in procedures. This is a superb tone and sound recreation of the G12M Pre Rola era "Greenback" that was used in Marshall stacks and combos, and many other British amps of the era such as Vox, Orange, Sound City, etc. 25 watt (M75-8 or 16), 65 watt (M75-8HP or 16HP) & 100 watt (M75-8XHP or 16XHP) power handling, 97db, 8 or 16 ohm versions available.

I'm not sure how this is false advertising, but as soon as someone figures it out, feel free to tell me. I don't say they'll match whatever pre rolas you find 40 plus years later. I only matched the tone to one of mine that several other good players (some touring pros) found to be the best out of hundreds I bought.

And as I've told many clients, if you have the money, and can find a set of good/still working/no issues pre rolas go buy them, I do! But be prepared to pay 2-3 times what a Scumback costs with no warranty.

And one final thing, the last email I received from Ruben (June 2011) had the youtube clip link which he called "a nice M75 clip", his band information to be put on the site, and the gear used in the YT recording. This thread he posted came totally out of the blue six months later. I was never contacted again since last June, so I had no way of knowing he went from happy client to unhappy client at all. I certainly wasn't contacted any further about any issues he had.

This whole thread is a complete "go figure" for me, that's for sure.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:40 pm

that is a perfect summation and clarification. nicely worded. everyone should be happy with that even if they are not happy with their tone using anything other than the 'real deal'. The whole gear thing is ridiculous anyway. If a guy can't get killer tone with a set of scumbacks and a decent non-master tube amp, he or his guitar is to blame, not the speakers. Although from ruben's site, sounds like he gets some real nice tone, however he's doing it.

Ted B
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Ted B » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:13 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote: I'm not sure how this is false advertising, but as soon as someone figures it out, feel free to tell me.
I didn't interpret this as an accusation of false advertising. From what I gathered, he was expecting the 65w to sound like a 25w pre-Rola G12M 75, and that (understandably) isn't quite a reasonable expectation. He didn't realize the disparity until some time well after the sale.

Again, I advise clarifying that in the forthcoming revamped website. That way if the situation repeats itself, you can conveniently point to it.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:15 pm

I covered this in the FAQ years ago as well, sir.

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/faqs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Many have asked me the differences between the lower wattage, 65 watt HP, and 100 watt XHP speakers. The higher wattage voice coil exhibits a tiny bit more bass response & a bit less treble response. That's if you're really listening and recording and comparing tones. In my tests, moving your bass control from 7 to 5 or 6 usually takes care of the difference between the low power and either the 65 or 100 watt versions."

Of course, this was based on my 1971 G12M pre rola with a 102 003 cone that hadn't been abused. YMMV depending on your pre rola, obviously. I know that some aren't really into reading up on a product before they buy it, that's fine. But I made no attempt to hide it, and it's been discussed frequently online by me and others. Furthermore, one of the big complaints I heard about old Celestions (pre rola/etc) of the low power versions was that they "farted out" in the bass, or got mushy. So I took care of that with the 65 and 100w models by using a different voice coil.

I'm sorry I'm not being very good about handling this with "kid gloves" but all of this has been covered to death (and this food poisoning thing is sucking the life out of me)...not only here on Metro but TGP and other forums.

And here's one last bit of information...my 65w M75 and H75's are my best sellers. I have to figure that's due to those who wanted a pre rola tone with low end that didn't fart. Going back to the bathroom now. I'd appreciate it if there was a little more reading done on the site before posting things that are already covered, if that's not asking too much. I don't have all that information up there for my health, it's for clients to digest.

Thanks in advance. (Damn I'm sounding pissy, sorry.)
310-833-6632

Audiowonderland

Post by Audiowonderland » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:10 pm

Ted B wrote:
Scumback Speakers wrote: And the best way to do it right, IMO, would be to optimize each speaker with the best EQ setting on a given amp/guitar so that you hear each speaker in it's best possible tone representation.
I wouldn't advise doing that Jim. One guitar, one good 30w or 50w amp, a 1X12 or 2X12 cab respectively, same player, same settings, SM57, simple recording setup, and no more than 10 seconds of sound with a single riff or a few chords. If you like, do it first at 25% volume in the first half of the clip, then repeat at 100%. Everything identical except the speaker itself. No effects, or any of that nonsense. This is quick and easy, and with a set of clips (no soldering), can be done with every product you make inside of a day. Anything else just un-evens the playing field and muddies the picture. Anyone with a brain can extrapolate the end result. Anyone without a brain you don't want buying your speakers.

Also, I would categorize your speakers simply (e.g. M series), and list the various options to choose from under that listing. Those options include (55 or 75Hz, PVC or Kapton, GB or BB, power rating, etc.). I would add a description and check box for each option that concludes into a final unit configuration. I would also make a point of noting which versions were used in which era, which cabs, and who might have used them.
I would just record the parts once via a DI box and then reamp it as needed through the various speakers. Eliminates several variables and should shave off some time in the process

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:41 am

I think the m75 are good sounding speakers on there own,but they don't sound like pre Rolas to my ears!i yet have found a speaker that sounds like actual pre Rolas!
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AustinTx

Post by AustinTx » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 am

“I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” - Bill Cosby
Austin Texas
http://www.doug-morrison.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jbzoso2002

Post by jbzoso2002 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Hey Jim (Scumback), that H75 you traded to me 3 years ago sucks and I
want my money back!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hows that for out of the blue.

The speaker sounds great, just played threw it the other day and its still
great with that old vibe and vintage sound, very cool, Thanks again
for the deal you made me.

Have you thrown out that icepicky heritage g12h30 yet?

Jimmy 8)
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:24 pm

jbzoso2002 wrote:Hey Jim (Scumback), that H75 you traded to me 3 years ago sucks and I
want my money back!
Figures. No good deed goes unpunished. LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hows that for out of the blue.

The speaker sounds great, just played threw it the other day and its still
great with that old vibe and vintage sound, very cool, Thanks again
for the deal you made me.

Have you thrown out that icepicky heritage g12h30 yet?

Jimmy 8)
Nope, I've still got it here. Reference tones, sir, that's what I have it for.
310-833-6632

rdodson

Post by rdodson » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:26 pm

I'm playing an M75(100W) H55(65W) mix in a slot-back THD 2x12. My 20th Anniversary Shiva into it (in old-school mode).

Sounds enormous, wonderfully rich harmonically, and very similar to the 4x12 Marshall cabs with GB's that used to be plentiful. Better, honestly, because back in those days all the VH-wannabe bands just beat those things up. Anyway, it is the rich midrange that is so nice...and that the Heritage Celestions don't get quite right (and boy do they take some time to break in).

Keep up the great work, Jim.

Ron
Happy Scumback customer
Ron Dodson
Dallas
Romans 9:16