Who is building Scumback Speakers now?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Who is building Scumback Speakers now?

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:04 pm

For those who want to know what voice coil rub sounds like, here's an mp4 of one:
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/wbq/J75 ... rbuilt.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the same speaker frame rebuilt correctly and how a speaker should sound on a sweep generator:
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/wbq/J75CAbuilt.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

BaronGreenback
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by BaronGreenback » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi Jim, do you have recone kits available that would suit very early celestions? I read somewhere you were working on making some lower wattage cones. eg 20 watt G12M, 25 watt G12H, and alnico period speakers (H1777 cones).

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Yep, the Kraft paper collar voice coils came in to do this with. My supplier strongly cautioned me that in his opinion the coils would be good to maybe 35w max (based on heat applied with this amount of power) before they would burn up. He also warned me they could potentially spark/catch on fire, etc...just like the original early Celestions from the mid 60's.

I told him that's exactly what I wanted, but that I was going to rate them at 20/25w max.

He still thinks I'm nuts.

I have 500 of those coils (8 & 16 ohm) in stock. Email me to discuss a recone kit, since you'll want it shipped to the UK, correct?
310-833-6632

shakti

Post by shakti » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:41 pm

It's getting closer! 8)
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

Roe

Post by Roe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:23 pm

good news!
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Just an update on the new California Production Scumbacks. There was a delay in my order of frames due to an alnico magnet shortage. That delayed the frames an extra 2.5 weeks. I was just notified that the first order of 540 frames are in LA Harbor waiting to be unloaded and passed through customs.

I'm told that will be 2-3 days, so I can pickup the frames on Friday or Saturday depending. Apparently the warehouse is open 24/7 for picking up shipments (yikes!).

Then it will be speaker building time for the next two weeks. I plan on getting 30-35 speakers built per day with full waveform testing, QC, etc. I have 260 on back order already, so that's going to take 8-10 days to build, plus the 100 I want to have "in stock" for my most popular models.

My next order of 480 frames is due to arrive the 10th of October. Now that I have frames in the pipeline, I should be able to build and ship speakers within a week of an order placed, if they're not already built. Thanks for your patience while I made the transition from my previous manufacturer to building these "in house".

Yikes...so much for my forced vacation, huh? :palm:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Scumback Speakers on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
310-833-6632

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:54 pm

If requested, can you do recones using the paper collar voice coils? I'll just keep a fire extinguisher next to the cab. I've got two more old celestians ready to send. :toast:

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Strat78 wrote:If requested, can you do recones using the paper collar voice coils? I'll just keep a fire extinguisher next to the cab. I've got two more old celestians ready to send. :toast:
Sure, that should be no problem. You just have to make sure to use something like a JTM 45 or a 30-35w amp with them if you're going to crank them up on the volume...otherwise...POOF! LOL
310-833-6632

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:48 am

Scumback Speakers wrote:Just an update on the new California Production Scumbacks. There was a delay in my order of frames due to an alnico magnet shortage. That delayed the frames an extra 2.5 weeks. I was just notified that the first order of 540 frames are in LA Harbor waiting to be unloaded and passed through customs.

I'm told that will be 2-3 days, so I can pickup the frames on Friday or Saturday depending. Apparently the warehouse is open 24/7 for picking up shipments (yikes!).

Then it will be speaker building time for the next two weeks. I plan on getting 30-35 speakers built per day with full waveform testing, QC, etc. I have 260 on back order already, so that's going to take 8-10 days to build, plus the 100 I want to have "in stock" for my most popular models.

My next order of 480 frames is due to arrive the 10th of October. Now that I have frames in the pipeline, I should be able to build and ship speakers within a week of an order placed, if they're not already built. Thanks for your patience while I made the transition from my previous manufacturer to building these "in house".

Yikes...so much for my forced vacation, huh? :palm:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim, I would like to say that I appreciate your giving folks an update and I don't even have an order with you....YET!!

As we all know, in the past there has been some major issues with a lack of communication from the certain businesses on this forum and beyond. With the proliferance of scams and people only looking to make a quick buck, you are doing your best for good customer service. I'm really not trying to be a brown nose but it is refreshing to see this type of outreach.

Roger
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:29 am

rgorke wrote: Jim, I would like to say that I appreciate your giving folks an update and I don't even have an order with you....YET!!

As we all know, in the past there has been some major issues with a lack of communication from the certain businesses on this forum and beyond. With the proliferance of scams and people only looking to make a quick buck, you are doing your best for good customer service. I'm really not trying to be a brown nose but it is refreshing to see this type of outreach.

Roger
Roger, I appreciate your post, even though you're not a client...yet. I made up my mind years ago that I was going to treat people the way I would like to be treated so they didn't have to wonder "WTF is up with those guys?" online.

I feel there have been many "online businesses" that set some pretty bad examples with regard to communication, diligence, honesty and integrity. Many claim to have it, but it seems when they have an issue they don't update it anywhere for their clients or even as a "Just an FYI" type post. I don't want to be one of those businesses, it just isn't needed.

All too often businesses forget that they have clients that put their trust, money and faith in them. As I have found out recently, that can be betrayed due to mismanagement, greed, and other reasons. None of those are acceptable in my book. Clients expect you to perform as they were promised you would, and if you can't that business needs to step up and notify them on changes/issues, or make good on their word/deeds/agreements/promises they made. It's just that simple.

I see a complete lack of this honesty and integrity factor running rampant these days with businesses coming up with "loopholes", or excuses as to why they have, or are still, doing subversive crap to their clients, but justifying it with lies, BS stories, and other fraudulent practices. I'm not going to be one of those businesses, either.

So thanks very much for your post, I'm looking forward to continuing to do business "the right way" and not the way others think they can get away with. :wink:
310-833-6632

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Hey, Jim...any update on your Black Back clones?
~guitar007

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm

guitar007 wrote:Hey, Jim...any update on your Black Back clones?
They're all dialed in already, just waiting on the frames to show up later this week. The speakers are already on the site to order. BM75/55, and BH75/55's.
310-833-6632

whopperplate

Post by whopperplate » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:32 am

Wow, had no idea about the the Scumback/Weber problems; always thought the doping was lumpy and weird. Never mattered though apparently, still sounded absolutely superb and 3D. Scumbacks are the best thing to ever happen to my tone! Glad your keeping the dream alive Jim. You're doing God's work! I look forward to purchasing my next quad of speakers!
Musicians are like a bowl of cereal
If they aren't Fruits or Nuts they're Flakes

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Scumback Speakers in production in California 9/28/11

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:08 pm

We are in production as of yesterday here in California. Customs decided to hold up my frame order for 15 days (got here the 12th, released on the 27th) to inspect it. When we unpacked all five pallets, there was a total of one box opened and re-taped with a Homeland Security/Customs seal on it. Not sure why that took 15 days...but there you go.

The first 15 speakers were built yesterday (couldn't get started until noon), we expect to produce around 25-30 per day, more as the process streamlines.

I have 265 speakers on back order, so that will take 8-10 days to get those caught up and built. I am building/shipping them in the order they were paid/ordered, which is only fair to those who have waited the longest. I am not going to have a room at the LA AMP Show, there just wasn't enough time to build 24 speakers, break them in and load them into cabs with two days to go before loading up on Friday.

I am going to have two 4x12 cabs at the Freidman Amps/Tone Merchants room. There will be four M75 16 ohm 65w and four of the new BlackBack version BM75-16 65w in each cab. I will also have a Scumnico loaded 1x12 at the Tungsten Amps room with Adam Palow.

After the back orders are caught up, I will have another 100 built for stock of my most popular models, so that order times will decrease dramatically.

My second order of frames (480) arrive in late October, now that I have the frame pipeline going.

Here are some pics of the new production models below. Many thanks to the Scumback clients who have waited for their orders through the transition period!

310-833-6632

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:47 pm

bnb.jpg
(83.45 KiB) Downloaded 1351 times
Congratulations Jim!!! Lookin' great man!
dave