speaker cone repair , what glue ?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

electricskychurch

speaker cone repair , what glue ?

Post by electricskychurch » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:19 pm

i have several speakers i should be able to repair myself as they just have a little crack (or two) or hole on the cone but i don't really know what glue to use for that.

i contacted Ted Weber for that a few months ago and he didn't tell me what glue to buy nor where to buy some ( just said he couldn't ship adhesive anymore since 9/11) but gave me a few advices to do it although i'm not sure i undestood everything :

" push the tear back into the hole. spread soem white elmers around the hole. Lay down a small patch of tissue paper.Work it into the glue and smooth it out.

More glue
more paper
do that 5 times, smooth it all out, let it sit overnight.

Done.

do you mean i have to spread the glue with some thin cloth (not kleenex i suppose as it will dissolve in the glue )  around and on the tear untill it makes a very thin coat that dry up ?

Spread the glue around the hole with your finger.

Then lay down a patch of tissue and work it into the glue and smooth it out.

More glue, more paper. Do that 4 or 5 times and let it sit overnight.

a guy that repair speakers here told me to use Neopren glue (like bhostik) to repair paper cones, is it the same sort of glue as the white elmers you talk about ?

It must be a butyl or a thin glue. Otherwise, it won't soak into and bond with the paper cone. It will just lay on the cone. Neoprene will work as long as it isn't to viscous (thick) "

what i understood was that i have to use some thin (layered ) patches of tissues ( like kleenex ?) mixed with the glue .
do the layers one by one up to 5 times and let it dry all night .
but i'm surprised he says to mix tissue paper and glue (not just glue !) !
he says the glue has to dissolve partly in the cone but the patches of tissue paper won't dissolve in the cone, just make the cone thicker (especialy with teh glue) !

also, i checked on orange county speaker repair website for the glue to use for that type of cone repair but they seem to say that the white elmer is too hard / brittle whereas their glue (XL49) is pliable :
http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/ ... de=AIII-SP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

electricskychurch

Re: speaker cone repair , what glue ?

Post by electricskychurch » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:11 pm

so, nobody ?

Mars Hall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Mars Hall » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:58 pm

What I did, was made a patch slightly larger than the hole, from 2 ply papertowel. Tear the patch, don't cut it out with scissors, so you have little fibers frayed around the outside of the patch.

I then seperated the ply's, so you have 2 identical, thinner patches. One patch for each side of the cone, if possible. Saturated the patch in Elmer's glue. Apply the patch by hand. Then roll it out with a round chop stick or dowel, like a rolling pin on pizza dough. This will smooth and flatten the patch while removing excess glue. While doing so mesh those frayed edges into the surrounding cone.

When dry repeat on other side of cone if accessible. When all is done you can use a little flat black paint to disguise the repair.

Although my patches were very small, I've seen it done on rips several inches long.
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

beaulieu

Post by beaulieu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:38 pm

black RTV permatex. MaskingTape the speaker under the rip/tear .Apply enough but not to much on top side of cone hole/tear.After 24 hrs remove tape. Works great.Does not dry out or get brittle.Stays rubbery and does not effect sound.
69 SuperBass Plexi
12000 Series Bulid
73 1987
68 Nos 50 build
2554 Combo
2550 Silver Jub stack
71 LesPaul Deluxe
68,71,73 4x12

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:28 am

beaulieu wrote:black RTV permatex. MaskingTape the speaker under the rip/tear .Apply enough but not to much on top side of cone hole/tear.After 24 hrs remove tape. Works great.Does not dry out or get brittle.Stays rubbery and does not effect sound.
This sounds like a good idea, especially for a hole. Hope I never need to try it.
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 pm

beaulieu wrote:black RTV permatex. MaskingTape the speaker under the rip/tear .Apply enough but not to much on top side of cone hole/tear.After 24 hrs remove tape. Works great.Does not dry out or get brittle.Stays rubbery and does not effect sound.
I didnt end up using black permatex but i found rtv silicone of the same type and with just masking tape on one side, applying one layer on the cone, and wicking any excess off with a tissue, this method worked great. The tears were pretty long and i even used the silicone to reafix a dust cap with awesome success. Thanks for the tip! My speakers are saved

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Does anybody know if this glue (see link just bellow) is exactly the same as Orange county speaker repair XL49 glue (latex base type ) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-Adhesiv ... 484694b1f4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/produ ... /XL49.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have bought some XL49 from OCSR in the past and it worked very well for dope surrounds as it stays quite flexible and sticky, without getting too brittle / rigid but the bottle they sell is about 10 $ and you don't make many speaker's dope surround with one bottle ( i think maybe two layers on two 12" speakers, not more !) , so if you have many speakers without dope surround ...

so i found this one on ebay that looks the same for 3 times less but i wonder if it's really the same as the XL49 ?

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 pm

i haven't had some XL49 for a while and bought some of these as the guy said it was the same (and it really looks like and smells the same ) but i'm not sure it is after i tried it !
I tried a layer on the surround of some vintage speakers without dope surround, to re-inforce them but It's not as sticky and i'm not sure it's as flexible as the XL49 i had bought from OCSR !
I didn't use it on the same type of speakers so it's difficilt to really compare the flexibility but it's not as sticky !
I should have made a test before but i was thinking it was the same as i had asked the guy on top of that , so i put some directly on my speakers !
Maybe they changed the formula or it is simply not the same !

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:20 pm

I contacted OCSR, it's not the same glue and they don't sell to that guy !
So, i suppose it's OCSR own formula they put in generic bottles as the guy does using different but similar looking glue but he lies saying it's some XL49 while it isn't !