Marshall 6" script logo drill template

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Joe Popp

Marshall 6" script logo drill template

Post by Joe Popp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:31 pm

I made this drill template for 6" Marshall script logos. I put hole space measurements on it so if you need to tweak it you can. I also put a bunch of horizontal lines on there in 5mm increments so you can cut along the top or bottom to align to your needs. The file is a PDF. Just be sure you don't have "scale to page" on when you print it or the size will be wrong. Feedback and suggestions to improve the template are welcome.

Attachments
scriptlogodrill2.pdf
With logo outline added!
(53.48 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times
scriptlogodrill.pdf
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
Last edited by Joe Popp on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Marshall 6" script logo drill template

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:17 pm

I'll print it out and figure out the measurements you need to be vintage correct for placement on the cloth. I need to go measure my 68 slant and 69 bottom to get this dialed in for you.

Then you can have R-L measurements as well as top to bottom.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 pm

On head cabs they were not placed consistent top to bottom. I bet they varied right to left as well but because the space is so much greater it doesn't show as much. Now that doesn't mean you have to do the same sloppy job that Marshall did only that you can use your own judgment as what you think looks best. I find I rather like about 1/4" to 3/8" from the gold dividing line on head cabs. I don't care for them as much centered between the line and the top. I hate when they are right on the line or nearly on the line that looks bad and breaks the rules they teach in design school.

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Your template is a good idea. I think the pins for the music ground logos are a tiny bit off from the actual old marshall logo, but near enough to fit. Also I dont know how consistent they are, so I always drill to fit the logo Im using at the time, and re-measure for each one but they are probably all made with the same mould.

I had to drill a baffle for a MG logo a couple of weeks back so Ive still got my measurements written down somewhere.

Heres a pic of it:

To locate the position of the holes I compared with an early 69 cab, but it was difficult to measure accurately because it had the grill cloth on it.

On an angled cab there are two strips of wood going lengthways right across the length of the baffle. the holes were drilled in the center (vertically) of the top strip on my reference cab. not in the rectangular block.

From memory I think the strip of wood was 2cm wide on the cab i was drilling, so if that was the case i drilled 1cm from the top and 1cm from the bottom. but even if those measurements are wrong, you get the idea.

Centering it horizontally was more difficult. If you look at the Marshall logo itself, the pins are not dead center of the writing. So if you drill the holes dead central on the baffle that wont give you a centered logo.

When I measured my reference cab horizontally, going off the holes I got different measurements for each side, also measuring from the edge of the logo writing itself I got different measurements. Marshall themselves hadnt put the logo dead center. Also when I measured the rectangular block on the cab I was drilling, that hadnt been put on dead center either, so I couldnt go off that. In the end I just did a rough guess by sight, i figured thats what Marshall probably did at the time.

***on the pic ive drawn a line under the bottom strip of wood in photoshop just so you can see it. the edge of the strip didnt show up clearly in the picture.***

Joe Popp

Post by Joe Popp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Thanks for all of the good responses guys!

Baron: Thanks for the great information! I bet each logo is slightly different as they are molded. The center pin does not give a centered logo so I made a rectangle fitting to very edge of the actual script so people can use that to center the logo. The longer rectangle would be if you want to use the center pin as the center.

908SS: Excellent points! There is so much inconsistency with how the logos are installed. I too like it slightly above the string on a head cabinet. Left to right is tricky and I usually eyeball it in accordance to the handle. The main reason I made this is to get my logo level. I have seen so many botched logo installs I thought this might help a few folks - mainly me!

Jim: That would be great! I think I will add the actual script to the document so people can see what it will look like before mounting.

Joe Popp

Post by Joe Popp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:46 pm

I added a new version without the measurements and a logo outline so folks can eyeball the logo before drilling. Please test before drilling!

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:52 pm

the new one with the logo outline looks useful. ive got a couple of cabs coming next week that need an overhaul so i should be able to try out your template when i get round to restoring them. i will let you know how i get on.

are you going off a genuine vintage logo here or a MG logo?

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:20 pm

One thing to consider is how many variations in the logo height there were. All of my slant cabs had the lower part of the logo ABOVE the slant top. Looking at BG's bare baffle board, it's obvious the Marshall logo would likely hang right on the edge, or slightly below the angle, although it's pretty clear he's got one of the unpainted baffle boards in that pic, too.

Jeez, Marshall sure did have a lot of variations in their cabs!
310-833-6632

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:42 am

Jim Ive never seen a painted baffle on a basketweave, I thought that was on pinstripe cabs only? or maybe its a US thing???

The bottom of the logo aligns with the edge of the slant on my cab.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:23 am

The only non painted baffles I've seen have been from the UK or EU, although George has one, too. Go figure. As for the logo placement, some are like yours, such as my 69 slant I restored.

http://southbayampworks.com/69slantr/69s4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Others have been higher by around an inch or less. Can't find pics right now, look for them later, my dog is doing the "poop dance".
310-833-6632

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:31 pm

The 6" logo starts at 10 3/8" in from the left hand side of the cabinet inside edge, not the white/gold piping, the actual inside wood edge where the tolex wraps towards the baffle board.

As for the top to bottom measurement, straight cabs are 12 1/4 to 12 3/8" up from the bottom inside edge (where the tolex wraps, not the white piping).

I checked version 2 of the logo drawing and it aligns well with the reissue 6" gold logo. Original logos had a different center pin spacing, so it will not work for an original or likely an MG logo if they spaced it correctly.

Hope this helps.
310-833-6632

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:46 am

a little question ...or two : where can we still find music ground logos ? aren't they supposed to have shut down their activity in uk ? is someone in there planning to jump on the "real logo " market ?

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:45 pm

top trade secret it seems :lol: ..... ok i get it :wink:

BaronGreenback

Post by BaronGreenback » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:23 am

they are still going strong on ebay. just type in "marshall logo" and you will find them.

they also sell repro block logos. its just a coincidence they also seem to sell a lot of block logo cabinets and amps. they are all completely genuine of course without question. they just find more of them than everyone else. :wink:

Joe Popp

Post by Joe Popp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:19 pm

What are the logo differences? Is there a resource to see how they have evolved over the years? I just got one from Antique Tube Supply which I assume is a reissue logo? Lots of great info here guys - Thanks!