Willing to draw up Marshall 4x12 blueprints

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tazin

Re: Willing to draw up Marshall 4x12 blueprints

Post by Tazin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 am

Here's kinda what I'm thinking for some of the baffle dimensions.....

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 pm

The triangle support on the baffle (at the bottom) is typically 9 ply on the vintage cabs, but 11 ply is what you'll buy for the rest of the cab, so using it there gives you more support/depth for the caster base.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Once again thank you Jim for the info. Here's what I'm thinking for the front of the speaker baffle.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:48 pm

They used baltic birch for the cloth spacer. They used pine for the inside front lips (top/sides/bottom).
310-833-6632

Wattever
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Wattever » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Your drawings look really good so far. Thanks for taking the time to do them.

The only suggestions I have for possibly improving them, is once they're finalized, if it can be done in a mouse click or two, to do a fractional inch version, and possibly a metric one for the rest of the world. I personally don't have a problem with converting decimal inches, but most wood working I've seen is done in fractions. (with the possible exception of CNC cutting).

Another thing that would simplify construction, again not a big thing, it can easily be figured out, but giving the center of the speaker cutout locations, rather than the distance from the sides/top/bottom would be more useful for anyone laying out a baffle, either with a compass, or a router jig.

Other than that, they seem good to me, and my suggestions are minor things, just to simplify construction for any one so inclined.

The only other thing I can think of that would be really handy, if you have the software to easily do it, is a layout for optimizing a 5X5 sheet of Baltic birch.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 pm

They used baltic birch for the cloth spacer. They used pine for the inside front lips (top/sides/bottom).
I thought George's (our gracious host) original '68 straight cabinet had pine for the grill cloth spacer. Maybe they used pine material only when they ran out of scrape 9-ply baltic birch..... Either way, I'll take your word for it because you've seen more vintage 4x12 speaker baffles than just about anyone.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Baltic Birch is what I've seen on all of my old cabs (67-72)...granted that's only 10 (currently, you never know when I'll get another one!), but they all have it.

The went to MDF/particle board in the early 80's, and started using MDF/particle board back panels as early as 70, but plywood back panels are on my 72 I got from Bob Reinhardt, and a 72 slant has a particle board back panel, so there isn't a bunch of consistency, as they had long overlap periods of cab changes.

Here's my 68 slant cab restore thread, you'll get more info there, including a pic of the 9 ply triangle on the baffle board support.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even worse you'll find a drawing with dimensions I measured there....sorry!
310-833-6632

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:15 am

Here's my 68 slant cab restore thread, you'll get more info there, including a pic of the 9 ply triangle on the baffle board support.
I actually used this tutorial and some other ones you've done as a source of information prior to stating this project.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:59 am

Whoops...glad you found it.
310-833-6632

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Oops, forgot the last basic view of the baffle/soundpost. The rest of the file is just additional detail views, fastener types, and other related stuff.

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:31 pm

Your drawings look really good so far. Thanks for taking the time to do them.

The only suggestions I have for possibly improving them, is once they're finalized, if it can be done in a mouse click or two, to do a fractional inch version, and possibly a metric one for the rest of the world. I personally don't have a problem with converting decimal inches, but most wood working I've seen is done in fractions. (with the possible exception of CNC cutting).

Another thing that would simplify construction, again not a big thing, it can easily be figured out, but giving the center of the speaker cutout locations, rather than the distance from the sides/top/bottom would be more useful for anyone laying out a baffle, either with a compass, or a router jig.

Other than that, they seem good to me, and my suggestions are minor things, just to simplify construction for any one so inclined.

The only other thing I can think of that would be really handy, if you have the software to easily do it, is a layout for optimizing a 5X5 sheet of Baltic birch.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work!
I totally missed your post....Sorry about that. I was planning on added metric units to all the dimensions in the next draft. Good idea about the 5x5 sheet of Baltic Birch layout....

harkkam08

Post by harkkam08 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 pm

How about putting these into autocad its a 3D design program and you can use the free autocad viewer allowing you to get great perspective on how to design it and what not.

I have access to autocad and I would be willing to design it.

You can get the free viewer here

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc ... eID=123112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 am

How about putting these into autocad its a 3D design program and you can use the free autocad viewer allowing you to get great perspective on how to design it and what not.
Actually, it is drawn in AutoCad. I just posted it in pieces with a Adobe pdf format so most folks could view them.

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Ok, now that phase one is somewhat complete here's the revised blueprint. Once again, corrections and suggestions are always welcome.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4U2XBHTD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wattever

Post by Wattever » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:41 pm

I just gave them a quick scan, and they look really good. Thanks again for taking the time to do them. :clap:

Seeing the layout on the 5X5 sheet, and how completely it uses it, I can't help but wonder if the cabinets were designed to be the best volume for the speakers, or if they were just built to be the biggest and most impressive looking possible using a single sheet of material per box. :wink: