Perfect cabs for Marshall Superbass stack??? Lemmy tone!

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

American Viking
Just the numbers in order: 7

Perfect cabs for Marshall Superbass stack??? Lemmy tone!

Post by American Viking » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:26 am

Hey there.

I've been gassing for a Superbass stack to add to my collection of Marshall's. I really want to be able to rock a bass through it but I've been afraid of damaging the speakers in my cabs. I have three full stacks with G12T-75's, Vintage 30's and G12-65/V30 mixed. The Vintage 30's have the 444 cone but Dr. Decibel says running a bass guitar through them is going to tear the cones. G12-80's used to come in the Bass Series cabinets and those had the 444 cones as well. I'd imagine they would expect those to be pushed by a bass guitar and Superbass whether it be the JMP or 800 version. So what's the deal? What speaker is going to handle a bass guitar and a totally cranked Superbass? The Lemmy signature cabinet is only a different looking MF280 and those should normally have Vintage 30's. I am super confused here. I know the tone I want but I don't want to blow up great speakers in the process. I rocked a bass through a JCM800 and V30 stack and it sounded great but the cones moved quite a bit. I moved the 800 over to an Ampeg SVT810 and it sounded awful. The modern voicing of those speakers really doesn't sound good unless you can drive them with a more modern amp.

I need some help guys. Thanks for any and all input.

908ssp

Re: Perfect cabs for Marshall Superbass stack??? Lemmy tone!

Post by 908ssp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:04 am

The size of the magnet matters. A smaller weaker magnet and lower power rating can't control the speaker cones so the cone can be damaged. A larger magnet and higher rated speaker do to stiffer suspension can control the cone. I presume that those that say the V30 won't do because it is a 60 watt speaker while the G100 will because it is a 100 watt speaker. You can use EVM12l they are rated at 200 watts and come in some bass cabs.

Contact Scumback he makes 100 watt speakers that sound like old Celestions see what he says.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:07 pm

hey american viking i am a huge motorhead fan i have a superbass stack 4x12 and 4x15 ok i have a choice of 4x12s i use and own I have a 4x12 loaded with goodmans audiom 50 watt speakers 200 watt cab and they are my first choice to go with the 4x15 and they are in an angled 4x12, I have an 80's marshall jcm800 bass 4x12 loaded with g1275t speakers god those speakers shift some air doesn't sound bad with the 4x15 and i have a quad of G12H dual cone 40Hz and those speakers are very nice again and they are in a straight 4x12. I chose the goodmans everytime as they are a tighter speaker even when broken in the cab doesn't want to jump out and shake itself to bits. My 4x15 is the square version like lemmy uses except my cabs have checqured cloth also my 4x15 has celestion G15M speakers and they have a frequency of 50Hz and my goodmans have a frequency of 84Hz. Also there is some crazy shit going on in a jcm800 super bass they have baxendall preamps and active tone controls my old 78 superbass used to have a baxendall preamp i converted that to shared cathode and it opened up the beast also my 78 had the typical filtering as they increased filtering in the later 800 superbasses. and the 4x15 and 4x12 stack is an impressive beast it's about 6ft 5
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

Fluffy77
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Fluffy77 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Hey VIK...
Did you ever figure out a cab for the LEM head?? I have the same dilemma...& am thinking about chucking some bigger 12" speakers in some empty Marshall straight front cabs that my guitarist has...I know they're not designed for bass...but that's what I'm thinking...also because the LEM head is wider than most bass cabs....I want it to be solid up there....

Fluffy77
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Fluffy77 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Hey VIK...Did you ever figure out your 'problem'? I'm having the same dilemma...thinking of chucking some 12" spkrs in a coupla empty Marshall cabs that my guitar player has even tho' they're not bass specific cabs...is that crazy??. I've been playing Ashdown for 10 years, so this is a new beast!!!