Anyone try the new weber legacy speaker???

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

bmf5150

Anyone try the new weber legacy speaker???

Post by bmf5150 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Anyone try the new weber legacy speaker yet?
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reswot
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Anyone try the new weber legacy speaker???

Post by reswot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Yep. Got a pair about a week and a half ago.

They are what you think they are, but with a different label and a darker blue basket.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Lol,ya I found out what they where after I posted this!oh well
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Emplexador

Post by Emplexador » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:06 pm

I have installed next to scumbacks...same thing. the lower price allowed me save up sooner. no charge for breaking in

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Are they the g12m or g12h?
My EVH sound clips.

reswot

Post by reswot » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:52 pm

One of my pair had a 30 oz nomimal (closer to 33 or 34 oz, according to Weber) and the other had the 50 oz magnet.

That's a pretty good combo in a 2X12 closed back. I have another identical-except-for-tolex cab that has a Weber-made Scumback M75 and H75 pair.

donbarzini

Post by donbarzini » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:15 am

Emplexador wrote:I have installed next to scumbacks...same thing. the lower price allowed me save up sooner. no charge for breaking in
I never understood the breaking in of a broken in sounding speaker? I would think a broken in broken in sounding speaker would sound like it needs to be replaced? All the Scumbacks I tried were all darker compared to a stock Weber with similar specs. I couldn't imagine breaking them in any further since I already needed a treble circuit that goes to 20 when I installed them.

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:55 pm

donbarzini wrote:
Emplexador wrote:I have installed next to scumbacks...same thing. the lower price allowed me save up sooner. no charge for breaking in
I never understood the breaking in of a broken in sounding speaker? I would think a broken in broken in sounding speaker would sound like it needs to be replaced? All the Scumbacks I tried were all darker compared to a stock Weber with similar specs. I couldn't imagine breaking them in any further since I already needed a treble circuit that goes to 20 when I installed them.
I would have to totally agree about the breaking in thing. You have to imagine that all of the classics were played and tracked with "relatively as new" speakers! Paper is paper and pulp is pulp, and usually it's the PLAYER who breaks in the speaker, because the paper moves and responds and settles into position with the Music the Player puts into it... not a single non-musical signal. That's my belief now anyway. It's like, you WANT to impress your OWN D.N.A. onto your speakers right?

However, if you are getting higher wattage speakers and don't give them enough time, then they might never really break to the sweet point. Then maybe a break-in might be helpful.

"Sounding Aged" is subjective, and you have to think that all those classics were LISTENED TO as they came off of Vinyl, Tape, and "older", "warmer" media. And they are listened to today in high digital, because they were at some point transfered from there original, glorious media. They had to to keep playin' those hits! But even today, they call it "sparkle" and "enhanced" regarding these digital transfers and "preservations", so there IS much to be desired there... for "sparkle" and "preserving" the ORIGINAL SOUND (ie, brand new).

Maybe there's a Munson Curve that compensates for the passage of time? :drummer:
dave

SB Monster

Post by SB Monster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:27 am

The break-in phenomenon is a curved ball here. The 'ageing' relates to the replication of the tone of original pre rola speakers in perfect shape as heard by Jim and Ted. Regardless any new speaker will sound better as it loosens up and looses that tight and bright thing that all new speakers have.

Wether playing is better than a variac to achieve the perfect break-in, I don't think it matters, either way will get everything moving. I don't reckon Weber are putting every Legacy speaker on a variac for 20hrs as Jim will do either. Weber are presenting the aged aspect of the cone as break-in. I sent Weber an email asking about magnet weight and asked if they offered a break in service, they said all their speakers were broken in as part of the construction process, go figure. I smell BS.

I've a got Scumback m75, h55 and h75 in various amps and cabs and really needed a couple of m75's in a hurry, as luck would have it, I bagged a pair of used scumback m75 8hp on the 'bay that are in top shape. On weighing up the response from Weber against previous great experience dealing with Jim Seavall, if I had to, I'd still wait until the new Scumback made Scumbacks are available, it's obvious which firm is more 'in tune' with it's customers.

reswot

Post by reswot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:13 am

Weber will, and always have, put your speakers on a variac for extra break in if you ask them to, so I can't understand the reply that you were given.

Perhaps they misunderstood what you were asking.

SB Monster

Post by SB Monster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:17 am

Q. "Do you offer a 'break-in'
service?"

A. "Part of the Legacy Series construction includes Break-in, so you don't even
need to worry about mentioning it"

reswot

Post by reswot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:53 am

That's what I meant. They do "pre-age" the cones -- just as the old Scumback speakers were pre-aged, although Jim offered the full break-in service as an option.

When I ordered mine, I acknowledged that they were already pre-aged, but asked for extra time on the variac. They said OK, and on the work order/invoice, the request was highlighted and initialed....

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:47 pm

well they are on sale now for $99 each..
My EVH sound clips.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:09 pm

I always broke mine in with variac
My EVH sound clips.

axeman

Post by axeman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:19 am

Sweet, now I can buy four G12m. My Scumback M75 100 watt don't sound good.