Speakers for New Cabs

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Audiowonderland
Just the numbers in order: 7

Speakers for New Cabs

Post by Audiowonderland » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Downsizing to a pair of 2x12 oversize cabs. Have used 25w Greenback loaded cabs with the Marshalls for the last 15 years. Either the speakers just got "tired" or I am bored with that sound but either way 2 25w speakers won't be enough so I am looking at other options for these cabs. Would like each cab to have its own voice

The Eminence ToneSpotters sounded very good when I used one in an ISO cab for a session. At 75w a pair would be adequate and may be a solutions for one of the cabs. I like the samples I have heard of the WGS Invaders and the Reaper HP's Each are 50w so that could handle the power for the most part. A little smoother and a bit more low end than a greenback is the direction I think I want to go. It may be blasphemus, but I am not terribly interested in true vintage speakers. Modern equivalents perhaps but I don't want to deal with the care and feeding of the oldies anymore.

I am not opposed to Celestions but I am looking to explore new ground with at least one of the cabs. What do you guys suggest? I play a variety of things. Some classic rock and some ecclectic instrumentals when left to my own devices. When I am working with my buddies it could be anything. Their originals range from Beatleesque to old school Yes.

What say you guys?

irwin4star

Re: Speakers for New Cabs

Post by irwin4star » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Give an example of a recorded tone that's perfect for you.

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Go no further than the Scumback line. I am sure there is something in there that will work for you. Contact Jim and he will work with on what you think you are looking for.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Audiowonderland

Post by Audiowonderland » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 pm

irwin4star wrote:Give an example of a recorded tone that's perfect for you.
Hmm.. good question.

Dirty Tones
1st Black Country Communion record
Frank Gambale w/ Chick Corea circa early 90's
Larry Carlton - Sleepwalk
White Lion - Pride
Al Dimeola - Kiss my Axe
Whitesnake - Slide it in
Warren DeMartini
Badlands

Clean Tones
Boston - Third Stage
Stones - Honkey Tonk Woman
Mark Knoplfler
David Gilmour
Steely Dan - Aja

There are more I am not remembering to be sure. Its an eclectic list to say the least

irwin4star

Post by irwin4star » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Wow lol. That's some list. That's going to be tough to cover with just a couple of speakers. What amp(s) do you play?

Audiowonderland

Post by Audiowonderland » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:23 pm

irwin4star wrote:Wow lol. That's some list. That's going to be tough to cover with just a couple of speakers. What amp(s) do you play?
Well, those are sounds I like. I am looking to find something unique to me somewhere within those boundries. The cabs I am ordering are coming with both a closed and open back panels to help with flexibility. I was thinking in terms of having one cab for more vintage vibe and the the other for more modern sounds.

Amps are old Marshall and Bassman heads

irwin4star

Post by irwin4star » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:33 am

All 50 watt heads?

Audiowonderland

Post by Audiowonderland » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:48 am

irwin4star wrote:All 50 watt heads?
All but the plexi which is 100w

irwin4star

Post by irwin4star » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:10 pm

I would probably recommend a pair of big dust cap speakers like the g12-65's for your higher gain stuff and maybe a mix of an m mag and h mag scumbacks or webers 65w for the others. You may have to try some out to find exactly what your looking for top end wise. I would also go 8 ohms so you can wire in series for total of 16 ohms, then you can plug both of them in and put your head on 8 ohms.

Audiowonderland

Post by Audiowonderland » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm

irwin4star wrote:I would probably recommend a pair of big dust cap speakers like the g12-65's for your higher gain stuff and maybe a mix of an m mag and h mag scumbacks or webers 65w for the others. You may have to try some out to find exactly what your looking for top end wise. I would also go 8 ohms so you can wire in series for total of 16 ohms, then you can plug both of them in and put your head on 8 ohms.
Actually I have pretty much settled on a pair of Eminence Tonespotters for the modern cab which are their take on the G12-65. I considered pairing it with something like a Governor but I don't think I am going to do that.

I have had a few people suggest the G12H30/G12M Greenback combo as you have. I have never used the G12H30. What does it bring to the party when paired with a G12M style speaker?
Last edited by Audiowonderland on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

irwin4star

Post by irwin4star » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Well, I would do the higher powered variants of the G12h30 and G12m like scumback or weber. You'll get the top end cut and clarity of the H and the warm mids and growl of the M. It's so cool to mic both and blend them and you can still blast through them cause they'll easily handle a 50W head.

Audiowonderland

Post by Audiowonderland » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 am

irwin4star wrote:Well, I would do the higher powered variants of the G12h30 and G12m like scumback or weber. You'll get the top end cut and clarity of the H and the warm mids and growl of the M. It's so cool to mic both and blend them and you can still blast through them cause they'll easily handle a 50W head.
Agreed on the higher powered variants. I was considering the black back variants as well to get a little more bite but with the other cab having G12-65 equivalents I am wondering if I should stick with the Pre Rola versions for variety. 30 minutes in a room with these speakers would answer a lot of questions......:) LOL

I may need to take the clips from the website into my studio and give them a listen, Next best option I suppose

Audiowonderland

Post by Audiowonderland » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 am

I had a chance to check out all of the clips on the Scumback sight including the stuff Pete Thorn did. The older clip He did of the M75 was just money to my ears. the H75 on the other hand wasn't quite what I was expecting. I could definitely hear the more aggressive sound of the black back vs the M75.

The new cabs are going to have SnP basketweave grill cloth so I am think that the BM75's would help offset the high end that I hear BW cloth filters off. Is what I am hearing about the BW cloth accurate and if so does the Bm75 make more sense?

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Audiowonderland wrote:The new cabs are going to have SnP basketweave grill cloth so I am think that the BM75's would help offset the high end that I hear BW cloth filters off. Is what I am hearing about the BW cloth accurate and if so does the Bm75 make more sense?

In a word...yes.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632