Experience with Various Greenback Clones

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Audiowonderland
Just the numbers in order: 7

Experience with Various Greenback Clones

Post by Audiowonderland » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:45 pm

A follow up question to my previous post...

Looking at the various greenback clones for a new 2x12 cab I am ordering. Unfortunately two original greenback are only 50w which is not enough power handling.

Been looking at the Emi Private Jack, Scumback M75's, WGS Invader and Reaper HP. What are your experiences with these or other similarGB flavored speakers? They will be going into a Stonage 212C cab.

Next question...

The greenbacks I had were always a struggle to get the treble bite I wanted out of them when recording. Would the blackbacks be a better choice to achieve that sound?

jbzoso2002

Re: Experience with Various Greenback Clones

Post by jbzoso2002 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:23 pm

Email Jim @ Scumback, he's very good at dialing you in for
tone.

Check his website, I think he has a set of question to help find the tone,
and the speakers to do it.

Jimmy 8)
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

slashl33t

Post by slashl33t » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:04 am

Thats like asking Ford what type of car to get :roll: :lol: :lol:.

The standard g12-25s from celestion sounds pretty good.
*Rig*
*Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine
#535q Wah
*Marshall 2203 SIR #34/#36 Switchable

stef

Post by stef » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Scumback

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:25 am

I haven't heard Scumbacks black backs in person but there are clips you can hear on YouTube. I had an original set years ago and they were brighter than pre-rolas but not as bright as the current greenback reissues. I use the high wattage Scumbacks in my Marshall combo which is a fairly bright amp and it works loads better than the V30 that was in their before. Speakers really are like ice cream lots of flavors and not everything appeals to everyone. There are so many variables I tend to play at low volumes and speakers can sound different depending on the volume you play. Some get bright when you turn up some get dark, some get fizzy when you turn way down some get dull. Scumbacks work well at a wide volume range one reason they work for me. I want to get a set of paper voice coil speakers aka PVC to go with a new amp I intend to build.

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Yes, the blackbacks have more of a treble "bite" than your normal greenback.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

HTH

Post by HTH » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:46 pm

You'll want the heavy magnet like the G12H speakers use for that extra 'bite' you're talking about.

Scumbacks have all kinds of options for cones, magnets and wattages - they'll sort you out.

If you're in the UK, check out Tayden - they are very tasty also.
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:59 pm

HTH wrote:If you're in the UK, check out Tayden - they are very tasty also.
Those are great speakers indeed! Especially the True Britts

irwin4star

Post by irwin4star » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:36 pm

I actually had something interesting happen with a scumback m75 65 watter I ordered from Jim. When I got it, I did my breakin deal on it and put it in a 2x12 next to a well worn one (sounds incredible). So I fire the thing up and a/b switch between them. The new one is quite a bit louder and has more top end and bottom so I take the back off and start looking at this thing and the magnet is bigger than the other well worn one lol. It's not as big as an H mag but noticeably bigger than the M one. I guess weber probably put the 40oz mag on it. I guess that's also a testament to the unnaproved swapping of parts lol. So anyway, you may consider some Weber legacy speakers with the M cone and an H magnet if they'll even do that. This one sounds awesome though. It seems right in the middle between an H mag and M mag. I'm sure it's the same cone though because it has the same smooth mids.

irwin4star

Post by irwin4star » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm

You could also do a weber mytone with pre-rola treatment but with a 40oz magnet, 65 watts. Might be right up your alley top end wise.

Audiowonderland

Post by Audiowonderland » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 am

irwin4star wrote:You could also do a weber mytone with pre-rola treatment but with a 40oz magnet, 65 watts. Might be right up your alley top end wise.
My experience Weber has not been very good even before all of the Scumback stuff happened. I may be the exception that makes the rule but I am going to pass on Weber as an answer

scooter.thomas

Post by scooter.thomas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:51 am

I use Mojo BV-25M and BV-30H. I haven't played the BV-30V but it might work for you at 60 watts and with hotter treble. If I couldn't get Mojos I'd use Weber Legacy, or something from their British line. If I couldn't get those I'd use Scumbaks. If I could afford it I'd use Austin Speaker Works. You have to get an ASW in your hands to appreciate what a premium product it is. Beautiful fit and finish. My experience with Weber has, for many years, been outstanding.
"Bring 'em on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneakin' around." - Han Solo