50W/JTM45 style combo speakers Strat people

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

SB Monster

50W/JTM45 style combo speakers Strat people

Post by SB Monster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm on the lookout for some new speakers for a 50w Plexi/JTM45 style el34 2x12 partially open back combo, a Savage Audio Blitz50.

I've got 2 H75 Scumbacks in it at the moment, they've been in for a couple of years now. Previously it was a H55/H75 mix and a H55/M75 mix before that. I love all the speakers Jim makes but I got the chance to try some EVM12Ls in it for a couple of months. Whilst they are awesome and HEAVYYYY I had to give em back. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy another pair of EVs but I really got into the shimmering highs they make. Scumbacks are awesome but they break up too much for what I want to get out of that amp, it's the main squeeze. The H75 is cleaner overall than the M75 but in my experience the midrange isn't as chewy and musical as the M speaker, If I could have a cleaner M75 with that thick midrange I think I'd be there.

I know that there are a lot of LP players on here but I'm into strats and teles mostly. I'm looking for something that is british voiced with less breakup than Scumbacks but not crystal clean like the EVs. The shortlist looks like G12-65 heritage, Golds, even V30's. I'm just looking for any experiences from strat people with speakers for this style of combo. Trawling through the interweb I came across Scholz speakers too, anyone tried them?

philmanatee

Re: 50W/JTM45 style combo speakers Strat people

Post by philmanatee » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:22 pm

You might want to look at the Fane line. Phil

SB Monster

Re: 50W/JTM45 style combo speakers Strat people

Post by SB Monster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Scratch the above, it was a dumb idea. As soon as you think about changing something or rather, imagine being without it, you realize that what you have is great. You can easily spend a lifetime and all your money chasing after the tone you already have.