Marshall 1979L A/B 4x15 ''Square'' replica cabinets?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Irön/Beast
Just the numbers in order: 7

Marshall 1979L A/B 4x15 ''Square'' replica cabinets?

Post by Irön/Beast » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:19 am

Is it possible to somehow custom order a completely brand set of those square cabinets called 1979L A/B(slant and non slanted) made in early 70s? Those who had those large 15inch speakers inside, these are very large cabinets indeed and it seems they are so hard to find anywhere so it would be nice to know if it's somehow possible to obtain a modern replica of those cabinets being made exactly like the older cabs.

Was just thinking since Metroamp is making those basketweave cabinets :)

Here's a pic, same model i refer to but not the same color.
Attachments
108_small-Marshall 4x15 _ head_l.jpg
(22.86 KiB) Downloaded 2336 times

johniss0001

Re: Marshall 1979L A/B 4x15 ''Square'' replica cabinets?

Post by johniss0001 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:17 am

I can do exact replicas with a bit more bracing inside the cabs and erm marshalls ain't that great. I have a square 4x15 with celestion G15M speakers, where abouts are you based? Also My cabs have more thump than standard marshalls for one my wheels are not on the bottom but on the side so the cab has direct coupling with the floor.

Unfortunately the original G15ms are not available anymore or the G15 100 that lemmy used in his cabs so there needs to be a modern equiv. But let me tell you there is so much lowend thump to these cabinets and i play electric guitar through mine with a 78 superbass and a 4x12 the original lemmy stack i like to call it although mine has all grill cloth intact.

I do all my own recovering if you specify what you want I can get a price but these cabs ain't gonna be cheap i reckon for a loaded one you are going to be looking around £1000 plus shipping depending on speakers you want and built to the original dimensions.
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

Irön/Beast

Post by Irön/Beast » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:23 pm

johniss0001 wrote:I can do exact replicas with a bit more bracing inside the cabs and erm marshalls ain't that great. I have a square 4x15 with celestion G15M speakers, where abouts are you based? Also My cabs have more thump than standard marshalls for one my wheels are not on the bottom but on the side so the cab has direct coupling with the floor.

Unfortunately the original G15ms are not available anymore or the G15 100 that lemmy used in his cabs so there needs to be a modern equiv. But let me tell you there is so much lowend thump to these cabinets and i play electric guitar through mine with a 78 superbass and a 4x12 the original lemmy stack i like to call it although mine has all grill cloth intact.

I do all my own recovering if you specify what you want I can get a price but these cabs ain't gonna be cheap i reckon for a loaded one you are going to be looking around £1000 plus shipping depending on speakers you want and built to the original dimensions.
Allright i state i now first: i'am currently looking for information, you know to see who can make cabinets since i doupt it will be easy to find old ones in good shape for a decent price anymore, they're not common cabinets from what i've heard.
I would not buy, at least not yet that is. Right now i'am gathering information, and good to know if anyone can make good replicas of those older cabinets :)

It's for a certein band sound, to have two Lemmy sort of stacks into recording and live, same kind of rickenbacker with similar Thunderbird pickups e.t.c, to recreate one legendary Rock'n'roll tone alongside another famous bands tone.

So for that part, i will in future need at least two great replica for a special sound in the band.
But right now i'am low on money but i'am saving up for gear for this thing. It will be an old school rock'n'roll kind of band sound, recorded like they did back then, similar equippment, playing, amps, guitars, cabinets, speakers, mic and whatever to recreate a sound that reassembles an old school rock'n'roll tone that makes you recognize in bands like Motörhead, ACDC, Led Zeppelin e.t.c.

I can get my hands on the 4x12 cabinets with proper speakers, they seems alot more available, but the 4x15 cabinets seems so rare and expensive for that part. I'd rather go with a modern replica if at all possible.

I was also thinking about those Fender 15'' speakers Lemmy was supposly using back then. Maybe he often blew up his speakers that was stock in his cabinets and needed replacement speakers? He is said to have loved those Fender 15'' speakers so those is what i might consider to try, are they recommended, have you tried them?

Irön/Beast

Post by Irön/Beast » Wed May 23, 2012 8:45 am

johniss0001 wrote:I can do exact replicas with a bit more bracing inside the cabs and erm marshalls ain't that great. I have a square 4x15 with celestion G15M speakers, where abouts are you based? Also My cabs have more thump than standard marshalls for one my wheels are not on the bottom but on the side so the cab has direct coupling with the floor.

By the way, have you tried these speakers or know if they are good replacements for the old Celestion G15s they made back in those days?

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/ta ... p-591.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are 15'', 50 watt and supposly made after the old Celestion G15m speakers.
Though i haven't heard a clip of these speakers just wanted to know if you or anyone knows if they are good or decent replicas of the old speakers.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:30 pm

they maybe ok but i don't like the fact they are 4 ohms each cone. i haven't tried them as i have no need as my speakers are all groovay. The problem is unless your amp has individual jacks for each impedance so you could run another cab with it the true lemmy style as he uses 2 cabs as you know now if he has 2 16 ohm cabs the amp must run at 8 ohm. Now if your amp only has the stock selector you can only use a single cab in series/parallel config. Now to get the correct value you have to connect the speakers in series for 16ohm now this is fair play but if a speaker dies the whole cabinet doesn't work and bad for output trans if you are using a single cab. Now 4 ohm series parallel if a speaker dies the cab still works.
John Ross

Irön/Beast

Post by Irön/Beast » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:47 am

I uses currently two cabinets in stack configuration, they are supposly both filled with G12H 30s into them, 16ohms cabinets, 120 watt both of them, and the head is an JMP 2203 from 1980(100 watt model). Amp head is 8ohms.

I'am not sure of how you mean, i'am not that much of a technical guy and i don't speak english as a native lanquage but i'll upload a photo so you can see for yourself how it looks like. The amp is also stock.
Attachments
002.JPG
(138.04 KiB) Downloaded 1952 times

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:50 am

ok your amp has 4 8 and 16 ohms on the output transformer. to run a single 16 ohm cab you set the amp to 16, single 8 set the amp to 8, single 4ohm load 4 ohms. To run 2 cabs 2 marshall 16 ohm cabs for example the amp should be set to 8 ohms as it's a parallel load, and 2 8ohm cabs the amp is set to 4 ohm,
John Ross

Irön/Beast

Post by Irön/Beast » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:48 pm

By the way i didn't see at first that there was an 8ohms version of those Tayden True Brit speakers, didn't notice it before but i give you the link :D http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/ta ... 5b1aa2ced0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does it solve the problem? Lets say i would try to rewire them properly or something will i be able to solve some of the issues you put out with lets say one speaker dying the whole cab going dead?

They are sold out right now unfortunatly but i haven't had the money as for now yet either so i'am gathering all neccecary information untill i can afford to obtain a cabinet + speakers.

I'am thinking about either trying out a configuration(Lemmy Style that is)with a 4x15 on bottom with G15m-50s and a 4x12 on top with G12H-30s OR possibly if i can at one point get my hands on speakers like G15-100-150 (for 4x15 cab that is at bottom)and use a 4x12 cab loaded with G12-65s, i like the sound of those speakers as well so i'am opting for experimenting perhaps, to see if they sound good together(who knows?).

Either way it's gonna be a Lemmy style of cabinet rig, but not right now at the moment.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:06 pm

well i have sommat to tell ya right is that you who commented on my youtube vid i did of my super pa and 4x15?

Right those speakers you linked me to are 8 ohms ok the best way to wire those speakers is either parallel or series/parallel.

If you wire speakers in series if 1 speaker blows the whole lot go down, think of it as wiring up christmas tree lights when 1 lamp goes the whole lot go out and it's a nightmare to diagnose. but the resistance increases, e.g. if you have 2 8ohm speakers and you wire them in series that gives you a 16 ohm load.

Parallel wiring halves your impedance 2 8 ohm speakers gives you a load of 4 ohms but if one speaker blows the other one will still work.

Series parallel wiring is what a standard marshall 4x12 is wired in and that's 4 16 ohm speakers and that gives a total resistance of 16 ohms.

If you are going for the lemmy ting ideally you want celestion G15 150s or G15 100s but i don't know what cones they put into their new lemmy reissue cabs but i know the 4x12 is a mode 4 cab.

My 4x15 has G15ms and they are rated at 50 watts each cone 16ohm drivers wired series parallel, i used that cab with my 70 super pa and 78 converted to 70 superbass and an angled 4x12 loaded with goodmans audiom 12ps rated at 50 watts at 15ohm great bass and guitar speakers and this speaker has the same freq range as G12-65s but they came out years before the 65 watter. I have a quad of 80's g1275ts and black back G12H and my goodmans just smoke them nowhere nears as flubby as celestions the goodmans are tighter and hit ya in the chest a lot more with more thump and they are not piss poor design like celestions where the coils just over head and shake emselves to bits imo and there are a lot more failed celestion speakers on the market than goodmans. My 4x15 is my favourite marshall cab i have ever used period but there are too much resonances going on inside the cab i need to put acoustic dampening material inside and make it dead same with my 4x12s but hey it's all rock'n'roll
John Ross

Irön/Beast

Post by Irön/Beast » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:21 am

Yes it is a shared channel i use together with ten people, sorry though if it looked kinda stalker like but i had to hear the cab for myself so i just searched up if there was a clip of that kind of cabinet, didn't expect to find you there but i just clicked there and i have to say it sounded pretty good from those speakers from what i remember.

Allright Series/parallel 16ohms should do it in any case.

The hard part seems to be finding proper speakers though.

It's not just for Lemmy tone though, i play lead too and it's for being able to have both a lemmy kind of cab and also for developing an odd but working lead guitar tone as well, that's why i mentioned higher powered speakers like G12-65s and G15-100-150s and the like, to be able to experiment beside having a Lemmy figurated stack :)

Anyways i like the idea with stacks and beside having an Lemmy stack i also had idea to build a sort of Lemmy inspired lead guitar stack but that doesn't neccecarily have the same speakers but so that it is inspired in sense like having a 4x12 and a 4x15 cab, i'am kinda trying to find my own tone and i also play metal and i thought a 4x15 might in one sense be able to give some extra thump to it without having to have tons of extra bass on the knob and feel it differently, or something like that, so i'am willing to try it out.

I like it simple, i don't use many effects, mainly just boost, compressor and reverb but that's all really, the rest comes just from having a good portion of volume and a simple amp like Super Bass or Super Lead or similar amps like 2203-2204 JMPs, so powerfull speakers is also an idea i wanna try out, i mean is there really that much old school heavy metal guitarists that uses or have used 4x15s in the stacks? Again it's for experimenting with tone.

Well, i guess it's gonna take a while before i'am able to afford this and finding proper speakers but i'll let you know when i can go into this. Best Regards - Irön/Beast

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:45 pm

dude not at all stalkerish hahaha i thought it may have been you I am glad you did go and check it out as i was going to link you to my vid sorry about my playing as i was in a car accident and i only finished modding that guitar.

Rip super pa as a couple of months ago the power transformer died.

The 4x15 was only made for about 5 years there was about 3 variations on that cab there was the tall (bathtub) 4x15 that was more rectangular, there was the standard "1979" straight cab and there was the "1979" angled cab ( I just missed the angled cab in the uk as there was 1 sold in hove for £300 which is my area)

Users of the 4x15 not many, look at the isle of wight 1970 you can see free use them, deep purple used them in the early days, there are vids of the stranglers using 1 on top of the pops with a hiwatt 200 head, i think srv had afew early bathtub ones and used them with some jtm 100s and of course you have lemmy that's pretty much it.

Your G12-65 celestions are a good choice of speaker high power and very punchy. I use goodmans 12s as they have the exact same frequency range as a G12 65 i think it's 84Hz-20kHz the only thing the goodmans have is they are tighter and have a slightly different cone design and don't flub as much as celestions but they have a better attack and chest thump in other words it doesn't sound like the cab is gonna implode and they compliment the celestions nicely.

15" speakers you are gonna find it tough to find the right ones for guitar cause most 15" speakers the cones move too slow but the G15M is quite a fast punchy cone (think of these as a G12M with more arse end) but there were also cabs loaded with the G15C and the G15H for the early ones. The G15M has a resonance of 50Hz it's not sub but it has a nice punch. Certain places now don't really do a 16 ohm 15" speaker well there isn't much call for it as most 15" speakers are for bass and most are 4 or 8 ohm cones. (this is what makes me wonder about the lemmy bottom cab as it should be the same impedance as the top cab for a perfect match, What sell 1 4 ohm cab and 8 ohm cab lol)

Going back to my video, The bass was at 0 as the 4x15 is quite a boomier cab, my mid and trebles are half way, and my front end volumes are cranked hahaha that amp was running flat out erm wrong it is running with a prephase inverter master vol in the back so it's at typical gig practice volume. I sometimes ran that amp with an old ts9 ibanez ue300 unit and man i could play everything from ufo, thinlizzy, gnr sort of vibes with this thing with that super pa! The only thing i really want to do with this cab is probably put some dampening into it to kill all the stray frequencies and move the wheels from the bottom to the side so i have direct contact with the floor
John Ross