How to remove the JCM800 badge to replace grillcoth?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

vkaxeman

How to remove the JCM800 badge to replace grillcoth?

Post by vkaxeman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:12 pm

How do you remove the JCM800 badge to replace the grillcloth?
My first project: 1959HW to 12xxx Courtesy of the Late Great Rockstah a.k.a. Edward Van Abrahamian

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: How to remove the JCM800 badge to replace grillcoth?

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:18 pm

vkaxeman wrote:How do you remove the JCM800 badge to replace the grillcloth?
If memory serves me right, it's glued and stapled in. In other words, you ruin it taking it off. Replacements available from http://www.tubesandmore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

vkaxeman

Post by vkaxeman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote:
vkaxeman wrote:How do you remove the JCM800 badge to replace the grillcloth?
If memory serves me right, it's glued and stapled in. In other words, you ruin it taking it off. Replacements available from http://www.tubesandmore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"ruin it", bummer! - Thanks for the link. But.... searching that site and others and not finding a JCM800 badge. Found a JCM900 badge and a few others. Hmmm, maybe I will just leave the old original grill cloth on it.

Thanks for the quick reply and info Jim!
My first project: 1959HW to 12xxx Courtesy of the Late Great Rockstah a.k.a. Edward Van Abrahamian

sixpakldp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by sixpakldp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:31 pm

I just put new cloth on a 90's JCM 900 cab . . . the badge on mine had adhesive glue only . . . I heated it up with a hair dryer and took a razor blade to very carefully lift one edge. Once I got one edge lifted, I slowly worked the blade into the other side until I got about halfway at which point the badge popped off.

Kind of need the same amount of patience you use to peel off a price tag on something in one fell swoop, rather than if you just go at it and tear or have residual adhesive.

vkaxeman

Post by vkaxeman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 am

sixpakldp wrote:I just put new cloth on a 90's JCM 900 cab . . . the badge on mine had adhesive glue only . . . I heated it up with a hair dryer and took a razor blade to very carefully lift one edge. Once I got one edge lifted, I slowly worked the blade into the other side until I got about halfway at which point the badge popped off.

Kind of need the same amount of patience you use to peel off a price tag on something in one fell swoop, rather than if you just go at it and tear or have residual adhesive.

Cool! Thanks for the info! - I will give that a try. :D

Did you put black grill cloth back on it and were you able to find the exact Marshall Black Grillcloth?

Thanks!

sixpakldp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by sixpakldp » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:21 pm

I changed the style of grill cloth . . . went from the original black to the checkered cloth. Try mojotone . . . I believe they buy their cloth from Marshall, here is their black cloth

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/ampli ... Cloth-58-W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any doubts, give them a ring. They are very helpful over the phone.

Hope this helps.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:27 am

Was cleaning up some old boxes and found a JCM 800 badge off of an old 4x12 I recovered. It's got a gold plate glued into black plastic frame. The frame screws into the baffle board, the plate gets glued on afterward.

So you would have had to pull/yank/knock it out from the back of the baffle board. Doubtless they had many ways there were attached over the years.

But if anyone needs one shoot me an email...not a PM...an email.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632