'79 Marshall 1960B 4x12: G12M-25's or G12-65's?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Majorlead78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

'79 Marshall 1960B 4x12: G12M-25's or G12-65's?

Post by Majorlead78 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:13 am

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

Back on June 5 of this year, I went & picked up a Marshall cab for $220.00 in Garden City, Michigan, 3 hours before I went & saw Roger Waters performing "The Wall" at the Joe Louis Arena. The owner told me that the speakers were original to the cab (WRONG!!!!). The cab was loaded with Celestion G12K-85 speakers & 3 G12M-70 speakers at the time I bought it. The original small Checkerboard grill cloth was spraypainted black along with the original white piping. The "Marshall" on the front grill cloth is gone. Half of the tolex on the back of the cabinet is gone. It's an eyesore, but for $220.00, I couldn't pass on it. The seller wanted $250.00 for it but since the owner asked me to take him & pick up the cab at a music store with my truck (a mile away), he dropped $30.00 on the price. 8)

A couple weeks later, I ran my Hiwatt DR-103 clone through the Marshall 4x12. It sounded fantastic (to my ears it did)! I know alot of people would probably do a double-take about the Hiwatt head/Marshall 4x12 combination, but I couldn't resist. :)

I decided to do some research on my cab. According to the serial number (#4317), I'm thinking that the cab is from October 1979 (but I could be wrong). I narrowed it down from the Marstran website ( http://www.marstran.com/cabdata/cabdata.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Now here's where's the dilemma begins. I want to replace the Celestions G12M-70's & G12K-85 in favour of either the G12M-25's or the G12-65's. This cab is rated at 100 watts. I've heard Marshall using the G12-65's with the 100 watt sticker on the back of the cabinet. Since the original speakers are long gone, this doesn't help matters either. :what:

Would love to hear recommendaions on either the 25's or the 65's. Though I love both speakers, I'm going for the "the correct speakers for this cab." :help:

Right now, the cab is unloaded. I replaced the spraypainted grill cloth with a new Checkerboard grill cloth. And lastly, the cab was once owned by Universal Stomp guitarist Dave Curry.

David