Dummy load question sort of...

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

pleximaster

Dummy load question sort of...

Post by pleximaster » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Figure I replace three out of four speakers (15 ohm 25watts) with resistors (15 ohm 25 watts) wired as a 4x12 cab what kind of volume reduction would I face, and will there be sound alterations in the speaker used compared to when wired with other speakers?

Best plexi

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Dummy load question sort of...

Post by 908ssp » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:42 am

It will be a quieter but not all that much. It will change the tone. The resistors will have a different impedance curve and that will effect the frequency output of the amp. But you might like the sound with that frequency response. It is not unusual for people to report that at -6db their resistive attenuator still sounds decent and that is what you have duplicated with the resistor setup you are describing.

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:54 am

If you're going a head with this experiment use 50 watt resistors not 25 watt ones. The wattage makes no difference sound wise but you are safer with the 50s if one blows using 25s you can leave the amp with no load or half load load and could potentially damage the amp. The cost for 50s is only slightly higher unlike 100 watters which is much higher. You can also use two 8 ohm 25 watters in place of one 16 ohm 25 watter. Mount them to a piece of aluminum stretched across the speaker opening or if you're leaving the old speakers in place mount the aluminum from one speaker across to the next so they can act as heat sinks.

pleximaster

Post by pleximaster » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks a lot! There are cheep resistors in eBay that I will use I think I'll go with 100 watts 15 ohms.

Plexi