Tried ASW Crossroads

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Tried ASW Crossroads

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:27 pm

These are late 60's G12M types. Wow, they nailed it. They're not exactly like any of my originals that I had in my shop to compare to. But those sound different from each other too. My two '68 cabs that I used to make the True Replica cabs (straight and slant) sound very different. Worth noting that the straight has no tolex, it is more boomy and scooped - in a very good way. The slant is very focused and mid rangey, to a vocal degree.

I put the Crossroads in a True Replica straight and set up the cab switcher so I could compare.

'68 slant vs TR straight with CR

CR are louder. About 2db.

68 has more mids. CR has more woody lows and present highs, more ooompph. An extra octave on bottom.

68 tends to impart a lot of its character on any amp you play through it. CR seemed more versatile.

'68 straight with no tolex vs CR

68 more scooped, lower resonant frequency. CR more mids, higher resonant frequency. Both very woody.

68 has extra low octave. Lots of low push.

68 most three dimensional of all cabs and speakers.

CR louder than 68, about 3db.

These are very,very good M's. better than some vintage examples I've heard. Perfect match for my Metropoulos amps and cabs. But, I think I need to try a True Replica with no tolex now.
I'll try to make some comparison clips soon. Probably won't happen before NAMM though.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

BaronGreenback
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Tried ASW Crossroads

Post by BaronGreenback » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 am

austin speaker works - they look very drool worthy indeed. be interesting to hear a round up of all the replica/re-issue speakers that are on the market now, perhaps with a genuine vintage thrown in for comparison. too many choices and so little money.

off the top of my head: weber, scumbacks, tayden, celestion-heritage, eminence, austin sw, warehouse gs...

i know everyone here loves the scumbacks but i feel thats based on hype/word of mouth on internet forums, rather than people going out and trying everything else available. which is understandable when you only have a certain budget, you are only going to buy one thing. and usually people turn to forums for recommendations. snowball effect.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16 am

Heh heh, so you feel it's all hype and word of mouth, eh Baron Greenback? Well, you're entitled to your opinion, even if I think it's based on misinformation and poor research. Whatever hype or false word of mouth might be going around isn't because it's false. If you want to take the time to listen, I did this entire shootout type thing you suggestted 8 years ago supplying real pre rola Greenbacks. The current Celestion type speakers were there supplied by 65 Amps, Celestion, and other brands/dealers.

I didn't set the mics, or play with the controls, I just got all of this together in one room way back in 2005. So before you make a snap judgment on what you "feel", perhaps you'd consider letting the facts be heard in this thread, including a poll by a number of other guitar players be heard. Here's the thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... adid=86870" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

George, glad to hear the CR might be doing it for you, although their price point is still about $60 per speaker higher than mine.

In any case, see you at NAMM.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:24 pm

I think that we are fortunate in having the choice of such good kit - kudos to the developers and sellers.

All but one of my speakers are celestions made between 1963 and the present day, except one which is a Scumback H30 55Hz in one of my 18w combos which it suits perfectly although it was Weber era it is nice and crisp and rich. Like Jim I have been through lots of speakers (ok dozens - not 100s) to have the ones I have kept in my cabs as well as ones in my cupboard that do not have homes at present that I cannot bear to part with.

Jim must have established his market share by now, so there maybe room for more worthy competition :wink:
Neil

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Agreed Neil, are fortunate to have so many options these days. Here is something for everyone out there, and ways to achieve most any tone.
The Crossroads are great, I can hear how much effort went into voicing these. But, they do come at a serious premium. Not for everyone, obviously.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Did J

Post by Did J » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:03 pm

neikeel wrote:I think that we are fortunate in having the choice of such good kit - kudos to the developers and seller
It is the Golden Age for amps & speakers.