SCORED today!

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

C J H

SCORED today!

Post by C J H » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Ok so here´s the deal, about 2 months ago one of my local shops put this ad up on a 76 SL (.. modded to pieces) w some rackeffects, headflightcase and a cab. I stumbled on the ad the other week and walked down to the shop, just to check out the cab which looked like a late 60s BW that had gotten the glamrock treatment...

My suspicions were correct, I was looking at an angled BW with VERY tatty vinyl and a blackpainted grill. What I could tell from the outside was that there was atleast one hole in the upper left triangle which indicates a 100 or Bass cab if it has the speakers to match. I talked to the guy who I usually talk to when I´m there, could I maybe buy just the cab? If so I wanted to come back in and open her up to see whats really in there and age it as well as I could.

Said and done, walked in there today. Serial# was 25005 if I remeber correctly, had the triangles on the lower inside baffle corners and 4 T1281 speakers w 102 014 cones in good cond all dating november ´69 :champ: :jimi: . Could only inspect cones from the back as I didn´t dare ruin the gaskets pulling the speakers out but I couldn´t see any tears and they sounded amazingly good!

Paid just over 900 bucks for it and I´m picking it up tomorrow or thursday. Don´t need another cab but couldn´t resist at that price, the speakers alone should fetch 1000-1500 or more if I decided to sell them.

Anyway, didn´t post to brag, although I´m really stoked. As I said the vinyl is tatty, so I´m gonna go over it and save what can be saved by gluing the bigger, loose tears down and leave it at that. Same goes for the gold piping, which in some places is just string at this point.. :whistle: The grill however might be salvageable by flipping it as long as the paint hasn´t fully saturated it. I have regrilled other cabs (reissues) before using scumback instructions (which are really good btw!) with great results!

So Q #1, whats a good, safe way to remove the speakers without ruining the gaskets? Q #2 If the grill isn´t salvageable do you reckon i should leave it black? Regrill w salt´n´pepper? Pinstripe it with that nice looking, but very expensive repro from EC Collins? Q #3 Has anyone tried reissue magnetcovers on vintage speakers? I remember reading that they are deeper..?

Jake
Last edited by C J H on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"blah blah, wof wof!"

BaronGreenback
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: SCORED today!

Post by BaronGreenback » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:14 am

sounds like a good score.

Personally I would only restore it if the appearance is particularly important to you. Just use it and enjoy it, and dont start messing with it. You should keep a vintage grill on a cab whenever possible in my opinion. A painted grill cloth would not bother me, unless it had been done particularly badly and all the holes in the grill materail were clogged up with paint.

Re-issue magnet covers are bigger than vintage ones.

C J H

Post by C J H » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:22 am

Good point!

The EC collins route is abandoned anyway. I went ahead and flipped the grill yesterday and will glue down the bigger rips in the vinyl when I find a suitable glue. Only to keep it from ripping more. Any tips on what type of glue to use?

:rockon:
Jake
"blah blah, wof wof!"

BaronGreenback
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by BaronGreenback » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:23 am

Looks a lot better already. I could live with that grill no problem.

For tolex repairs I normally use a contact adhesive and a small paint brush. Apply it thinly to both surfaces, let it become touch dry which takes about ten minutes, and then bring them together using a firm thumb pressure to make the bond. Evostick is fine.