Speaker swap, help please.

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

MrDowntown
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Speaker swap, help please.

Post by MrDowntown » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:54 pm

Hello fellows.

Swapping out a pair of celestion G12L-35's for a pair of Celestion 16 ohm G12M Greenbacks in an old ss combo amp.

Eventually I will use the speakers and cab as a 212 cab only, as I'll be connecting to a new head....but, until the head has arrived, I'd like to use the new speakers with a :cough: :peace: hd500 :peace: using the 4cm.

I think I have a handle in the ohms and parallel v serial wiring, but the absolute last thing I want it do is damage my new speakers. Will the new speakers work as I've explained (with the hd) or do I just need to wait and power them with my new head?

Many thanks for any help!
Mdt

neikeel

Re: Speaker swap, help please.

Post by neikeel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:05 pm

What is an HD500 :palm: , oh one of those :lol:
You mean 4ohm setting of your SS amp?

Generally with SS amps if you have, for example an 8ohm load (two 16ohm speakers in parallel) and you input an SS amp with 4ohm setting you will get a much reduced power output, but you will not damage your speakers or your SS amp.
Neil

MrDowntown
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Speaker swap, help please.

Post by MrDowntown » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:38 pm

neikeel wrote:What is an HD500 :palm: , oh one of those :lol:
You mean 4ohm setting of your SS amp?

Generally with SS amps if you have, for example an 8ohm load (two 16ohm speakers in parallel) and you input an SS amp with 4ohm setting you will get a much reduced power output, but you will not damage your speakers or your SS amp.
Yes one of those, imagine my :oops:

In my case the two parallel wired existing speakers were 2 x 8 ohm rated at 60, where as what I have put in is 2 x 16 ohm (parallel) rated at 25w. I think I'm ok, but at the same time, I'm known for breaking shit. :oops:

Thanks for your help.