Grounding - alternative grounding schemes - any difference?

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

arledgsc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Grounding - alternative grounding schemes - any difference?

Post by arledgsc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:16 am

So what about cathoode(s) of the FX loop tube?
So you are running a tube FX loop and not the MetroAmp version? Then sorry disregard my comments as I know nothing of this circuit. My original thought was you would use the same Larry ground point #2 as the V2 cathode. But the tone stack midrange pot is ground to #3 in the diagram. So point #3 may be the quietest. There will be a lot of current at point #3 which could modulate the ground potential. These two grounds are separated by a couple of inches so you could experiment and swap to see which one is the quietest for your needs. Scott
Metro JTM45, Metro 50W Lead, JTM50 Black Flag, and Ceriatone 18W TMB
Scumback M55/M75, Ceriatone C-lator

shakti
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Grounding - alternative grounding schemes - any differen

Post by shakti » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:18 am

Old thread, but I am planning a JTM45 rebuild, so I had a question:

I am using a 32+32 cap for mains filtering, using only one half of it. I have a 16+16uF cap, but also a 16+32uF cap available for the other, wall-mounted cap. The JTM45 calls for 32uF mains, 32uF screens and 16uf PI filtering.

This means I can use either half of the mains filter cap (typically ground point #5) for the screens, or half of a wall-mounted 16+32 cap for screens filtering.
From a grounding perspective, using Larry's approach, which is the best node to share screen filtering ground with?
#5 - along with mains filter, HT CT and power tube cathodes, or...
#3 - along with the PI filter ground, speaker jack and presence?

On my block logo JTM45 build I used a 16+32 cap and grounded the screens at #3. That amp is very quiet, but it would in some ways be easier to use a 16+16 cap since they're easier to find, and ground the screens along with mains at #5. I would like to go with the "best" choice though, from a technical/electronic point of view.
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103