My Latest Build

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Ricky Lee
Just the numbers in order: 7

My Latest Build

Post by Ricky Lee » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:37 am

I had alot of fun building this one, to say the least. It was a piece of cake, especially with the installation guide George has put together. He has made this a true paint by numbers type build, with his detailed, step-by-step guide and the pics are dead-on, as well. My recommendations with this amp or any amp, is to take your time and follow the instructions no matter how many amps you've built, always double checking your work, it will pay-off and show in the final product. The more time you put into these projects the more you will get out of them. They say "They don't make amps like they use to" I agree, I think most of the guys here make-um better! Since this is kind of a beta build, here are some things that may help with the JTM 45 build. They are NOT exacts, and as we all know, amps can defer one from another, but so far with my build this is what I've come up with.

B+ Voltage with Metro Trannys and NO valves installed = 450 volts.

B+ Voltage with Metro Trannys and Valve Arts KT66 valves installed = 403 volts.

With 82k Bias resistor installed with the Valve Arts KT66, my valves are running around 40ma - 42ma, respectfully. With a 68k resistor my bias came in at about 60ma, much to hot. With a 100k resistor 22ma, much to cold.

So far I have NO apparent ghosting or PO using just the single 16uf filtering, and I really hammered the bass notes above and below the 12th fret. However, the 16uf does have slight more sag, as expected, in comparison to the 32uf filtering. What I noticed with the the higher filtering was a little better attack resonse, as well as a slight fuzz tone, which I kinda like. The amp cleans up really well, either by guitar volume or the amp volume itself. I do some country stuff, so it cleans up well enough to get a good twang or two.

The amp is especially quiet with no audible hum or hiss, which I like to think is partially due to the extra time I spent tightly twisting all relative wire. Every amp I've built so far I've got out the old drill, and I think it really pays off. Every where the instruction manual references twist I did the twist with the drill.

As for the pink wire (if you choose) on the control pots, just get some pink Ritz Dye and soak the white wire to color, about 3 minutes or so. And NO it doesn't wash or wear off. The last batch I made is dead on Marshall pink. Just don't do it in the wife's washer or you'll be wearing pink underwear! I won't say how I know that!

Other than that, I think George's instructions pretty much covers everything. He is always adding to the guide and I'm sure there's more to learn.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6784/pic15rm.jpg
Last edited by Ricky Lee on Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May the good Lord take a liking to you!

http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt31 ... i%2012xxx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:23 am

That is a helluva of twisted pair there, Rick!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"