Losing the tube recto in my JTM build...

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Big Mike
Just the numbers in order: 7

Losing the tube recto in my JTM build...

Post by Big Mike » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 am

Since it's barely a JTM anymore..
Could I just use a bridge rectifier or build a small diode board like in the 50 watter?
Use the same wires that currently terminate to the tube socket, or do I need to do something else with the tranny.

I know I could put in a solid state recto conversion plug in, but what fun is that. :D
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee
Powered by Thorn and Kauer guitars
Scumback Speakers

Big Mike

Re: Losing the tube recto in my JTM build...

Post by Big Mike » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am

Ahhh I see it. Duh. More coffee..

the 350V taps to a diode network like on the 50 watt.
tape off the 5V rectifier leads off the tranny, lose the tube socket.

more coffee, little more time reading.

Course...now I'm not sure, maybe I'll put a 5Y3 in, drop the voltage and run 6v6's. :D

Never happy...LOL
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee
Powered by Thorn and Kauer guitars
Scumback Speakers

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:02 pm

There was a spiral-bound Tube Amp Guide for guitarists that had a "Mods" section showing how to break open a dead rectifier tube & then solder in (4) diodes to the remaining tube base to make a bridge rectifier that inserts into the tube socket, kind've like the old GT "Substitubes" that used to be for sale.

I made one & ran it in my old RCA 30-watt 6L6 microphone amplifier. I ran a Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp into the Phono input of it & it sounded good & tight with the solid-state, and good & loose with another tube rectifier.

I Can't find the book & don't remember the title, but it had a sketch of a "metal 'dude holding a soldering iron instead of a guitar on the cover. You should try it & keep your amp closer to original. It was cheap & easy... :hairband:

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Found it.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Service-Your- ... 72&sr=1-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Weber VST makes "copper cap" rectifier plugs, there are some with no voltage drop, and some that have voltage drop to simulate the effect of real tube rectifiers.

the jaywalker

Post by the jaywalker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Big Mike wrote:maybe I'll put a 5Y3 in, drop the voltage and run 6v6's. :D
No need to if you use JJ 6v6's. Just drop 'em in, bias and spank that guitar. I've beem running a pair hard in my Traynor Bassmaster for 6 months. I am running a 16Ω cab with 8Ω output but some say that isn't necessary. Has to be JJ brand, not any other, not NOS.
Oh yeah...Hi everyone. My first post here. I've been lurking and reading for a while. Nice place ya got here.

wyatt

Post by wyatt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Unless you want to exactly mimic a the rectification of a specific amp, then just just a plug-in SS rectifier, they've been available and used for decades. They plug right in., No need to remove and tape off 5v filament wires, they will just be left "open" but available if you want to pop a tube back in.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/fox ... em=T-SSR01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tubedepot.com/tdssr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_TA ... tifier_389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/RTSSR.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Big Mike wrote:Since it's barely a JTM anymore..
Could I just use a bridge rectifier or build a small diode board like in the 50 watter?
Use the same wires that currently terminate to the tube socket, or do I need to do something else with the tranny.

I know I could put in a solid state recto conversion plug in, but what fun is that. :D
I think you should keep your JTM45 and build a kick ass SuperLead. I floated between both with one and and settled on make the best of each. Personally, I would would use the SS plug until you decide what you want 100%. I think from what I have read, you would prefer a SuperLead. But you can't just tape off the JTM45 PT leads as the voltages are different for a SuperLead vs JTM45. I think you need a new PT and OT AND some circuit mods. Otherwise, keep the JTM45, modify some specs and build a SuperLead.

East Bay...Oaktown or where? I am in Monterey Bay.