using shielded input and vol control wiring

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

mikepukmel
Just the numbers in order: 13492

using shielded input and vol control wiring

Post by mikepukmel » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Does anyone use shielded wire between the input jacks and V1 grid stops? If so, what kind of wire do you use? I have used Mogami 2330, its good wire, but the conductor is extremely thin, and for me anyway, hard to work with. The conductor is 28awg. I looked for similar shielded cable with thicker conductor, e.g. 22 or 24 awg but the only cabe I could find is very thick, like guitar cable.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

danman
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: using shielded input and vol control wiring

Post by danman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 pm

I mainly use the rg-174, single conductor wire that....http://valvestorm.com/Products/Wire...sells. It is 26awg but that seems to be the norm. Hoffman also sells good shielded wire. I'm sure you could search Belden's catalog and find something slightly larger. Check over at Mouser or Digikey also.

neikeel

Re: using shielded input and vol control wiring

Post by neikeel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:34 pm

danman wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 pm
I mainly use the rg-174, single conductor wire that....http://valvestorm.com/Products/Wire...sells. It is 26awg but that seems to be the norm. Hoffman also sells good shielded wire. I'm sure you could search Belden's catalog and find something slightly larger. Check over at Mouser or Digikey also.
I use Belden RG 174 on new stuff. I have a supply of old grey stuff with blue internal insulator with that is easier to work with, NOS off fleabay.
Not sure why you would need it on a JTM 45. Maybe extra stages or cascades. Good lead dress works well
Neil