Metro kit resistors and caps?

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mpollard
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Metro kit resistors and caps?

Post by Mpollard » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:03 pm

I continue to see recommendations to upgrade to the NOS resistors and mustard caps. Can anyone elaborate on how these improve performance/ tone?

Also, are the quantities not the valvestorm purchasing form correct, i.e., can I just click the add-cart-button?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

danman

Re: Metro kit resistors and caps?

Post by danman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:46 pm

There are no quantities listed on Valvestorm because most of the circuit variations require different values and quantities. You will need to check your schematic for your circuit and decide which caps you want to buy. As far as an upgrade in tone...this is very personal and subjective so no one but yourself can decide whether to use them. If you are building an exact clone, I could see using them and have done so myself. If you think your amp will suddenly sound better by switching the caps, you may be let down. Each of them adds their own flavor to the sound but whether you will like the new sound is anybody's guess.

Mpollard

Re: Metro kit resistors and caps?

Post by Mpollard » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks Danman,

I installed a mv, cap and resistor kit in my hotrod deluxe. It turned it into a new amp, with incredible vintage tones. But the original design was a big fail, so what I got in the end is what it should have been in the first place.

Let’s say I go with the stockJTM kit. How easy is it to polpulate a new turret board with different caps and resistors and swap boards out?

Thanks again for the advice,
Mike