Mercury OT vs Mercury OT...

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Tcaradonna
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Mercury OT vs Mercury OT...

Post by Tcaradonna » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:02 am

I’m doing research on parts as I’m getting ready to build a jtm45.

Can anyone share some impressions between the radiospares and the toneclone OT from Mercury?

Apparently the radiospares is “THE ONE” to get (if there is such a thing), but it’s really disappointing that it cannot be wired into the output impedence selector switch. If I were building a combo, it wouldn’t matter cuz your speakers are basically fixed, but part of what I like about the unit as a head is flexibility to plug in different cabs (and not break my back as a boat anchor, albeit a very pleasing sounding boat anchor). The next one Patrick at MM suggests is the Toneclone. Any love for that one or the axiom?

Cheers fellas

neikeel

Re: Mercury OT vs Mercury OT...

Post by neikeel » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:31 pm

I was very disappointed with my Mercury Tone clone OT, I took it out and sold it.

Replaced it with a Metro 784-103 clone and never looked back. I hear the ****** version is even better (only had his 45/100 OT clone that was excellent). I generally buy Brian Wallace (Marstran) iron for most of my builds as I think Metro has stopped supplying and I found ****** a bit flaky on sending to UK. YMMV

I have a couple of amps with Original 60s Radiospares Deluxe OTs and a 65 with Drakes so I believe I am fairly well placed to comment.
Neil

Tcaradonna
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Tcaradonna » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:30 am

Thanks for the reply.

It took me awhile to figure out who ****** was...

How does ****** compare with Marstran?
I think in general they’re probably alright, I would have gotten the radiospares one but the wiring is somewhat limited for impedence selection on the secondary.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:50 am

The M****n are a bit more expensive than Marstran, I think his 1998 clone is loved by the EVH boys and girls, but for a 784-103 clone I think it is flip a coin between the two.
Neil