Please......help...

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Laycern8
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Please......help...

Post by Laycern8 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:22 pm

wow there are some great emoji options goin on....

Hi everyone. This is my first post ever and it is because I need help. Before this past December all I knew about tube amps was that I liked them a lot. I’ve read a lot and learned a lot since then, but not enough to turn this beautiful paperweight into a functioning jtm45!

Let me also just say thanks to everyone who generously shares their knowledge freely on this site. I would t have gotten nearly this far without all of your help.

On first power up I followed the metro amp instructions. Heater voltages were fine (except getting 4.5vac to v6 instead of 5vac). Measured 300vdc at standby switch as well as -40vdc on control grid (pin 5) of each power tube socket.

Inserted preamp tubes and started it back up. Voltages were pretty much ok EXCEPT plate #1 voltage on v2 was 325vdc and plate #1 voltage on PI was a whopping 345 vdc! WHY! I checked both the 8.2k and 82k resistors that seem to separate the b+ from the PI plate and they both read fine. Anyway being the noob I am, I ignored this and inserted kt66 tubes.

I turned the amp on and it screeched at what must have been over 100db. Intel on this site indicated that this was related to the NFB circuit, so I disconnected the 27k resistor and the board and that allowed me to switch the amp on without any screech. Assuming I had found the issue, I reversed OT wires and went to bias, but now I have a second problem. Only one of the OT plate wires is showing my 400vdc. The other shows no signal at all. :cry:

I’m at a loss. Are these two issues related? Could the high plate voltage on the PI have damaged the OT? Maybe the positive feedback loop damaged the OT? With my multimeter on resistance I can’t even get a signal out of one leg of the OT primary, so I’m assuming it’s...damaged.

Please help, I’m very lost. Thanks
Nate

Tcaradonna

Re: Please......help...

Post by Tcaradonna » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:20 pm

If you are saying that the secondary leads of the output transformer are open, then it’s quite likely the OT is gone. That should be just a wire in a coil. You will have some DC resistance, but it should definitely not be open.

danman

Re: Please......help...

Post by danman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:42 pm

The fact that you switched the plate leads at pin 3 and now you are only getting b+ voltage at one tube would lead me to believe you may have a bad solder joint at that socket. Reflow all of the pins on that socket and check your voltages again. Also be sure that you have the centertap hooked to the b+ supply and not accidentally connected to a socket by accident.