Evh 5153 ch 3 to plexi possible?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Tahoebrian5
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Evh 5153 ch 3 to plexi possible?

Post by Tahoebrian5 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi, I've got a 5153 and to me ch3 is not usable. I'm wondering if it is possible to get anywhere close to a moded plexi sound given the way the power section is set up. I could mod the preamp pretty easily to plexi values and bypass some gain stages but not sure how effective this would be. Channel 2 sounds really good so thinking try to keep mods to ch3. It's funny that these things are so different from the early EVH setup.

Tahoebrian5

Re: Evh 5153 ch 3 to plexi possible?

Post by Tahoebrian5 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:04 pm

I ended up going a different direction so please disregard. I've moded it closer to the SLO lead channel. It's getting close but the mids sound off so still have some experimenting to do

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:19 pm

I wouldn't say channel 3 is unusuable-you just ain't figured out how to
use it yet :wink:
As I understand it on Unlawful and Balance Ed was using pre sections and marshall power sections according to Suhr-I think I seen that over at hugeracks inc. Just fyi depending on what your shooting for you might wanna keep that in mind.

Tahoebrian5

Post by Tahoebrian5 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:00 am

I suppose unusable was a poor choice of words.. Maybe I should have just said I don't care for it. It's a shame because ch2 is sweet. My first thought was to switch ch3 to a plexi type clean channel by removing 3 gain stages. Then use ch1 as a boost/lead to ch2. I decided ch3 was closer to the slo so have removed 2 stages and swapped components to match the slo. I didn't really work out as planned. I had to cut the coupling caps down to much smaller values. So it's sounding pretty good now but it's definitely not a slo. Still have some experimenting to do, tone stack is next. The mids don't sound quite right yet.

MrBeasty
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MrBeasty » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Curious to know how this working out ... 'cause I am not a fan of Channel 3 either. :scratch:

MrBeasty

Post by MrBeasty » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:11 pm

FWIW - I just found out that Voodoo Amps offers a couple mods for the 5150iii-50

[*]They revoice the channels a little
[*]They replace the gain and volume pot on Channels 1 & 2 with concentric pots, essentially separating the two channels and allowing an infinity of volume/gain settings between the two channels. They still share the EQ section but that is already something.

This second mod is actually pretty simple. A pair of of concentric pots (variable resistors) will cost you $20 and then it is just a matter of having the right values and know which resistors to replace on the board. If you know what you are doing, it might take you 30 minutes.

http://voodooamps.com/home/Modification ... fault.aspx

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun May 03, 2015 11:53 pm

You know
If you wanna try something before gettin on to deep surgery you should really try a SD59 into that channel.
1 it drives the channel so much less
2 its way more articulate and tight
3 the mids are different and gets away from honk city so much as the 59 is kinda scooped.
I really like it this way and skipped using channel 2. You can have clean and scream just using 1+3. 3 even cleans up decent with rolling down the volume knob too here.
Its like driving channel 3 less or channel 2 a little more to arrive at what you are after.
Just an avenue to explore :what:

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:04 am

I love channel 3 for leads :thumbsup:

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Channel 3 is fine for me and its more channel 2 that needs some balls for my tastes. It just comes in just under where I like it but I still use it. Fine with hot pickups though but then channel 3 can get hard to manage then. I find this amp (the original 100w 5153) just does an awesome job of van Hagar era when you got all the stuff and fx. I love it. It's tough and makes you work hard in other applications without the pitch business though. I await the retro version Ed has mentioned coming up. I have a feeling it's gonna be a bad mofo. :wink:

hammered

Post by hammered » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:45 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:I love channel 3 for leads :thumbsup:
I`ve got the 50 watter like yourself and at first I thought I`m never gonna use channel 3 but after messing with the settings I`ve got the gain backed off alot and that really helped and it`s still really gainy but much more usable and with much less hiss