Suggest me a 50w EVH circuit..

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Chris_P
Just the numbers in order: 7

Suggest me a 50w EVH circuit..

Post by Chris_P » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:23 am

Hello! I'm looking to build a 50w plexi-type amp for EVH tones. I've a few builds under my belt, mostly multi-channel high gainers, but none of them really do the EVH thing so well.. not quite the right flavour. I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel, so I thought I'd come ask some people more schooled in the particular area I'm looking at.

So, long story sort, I have a spare set of Hammond 50w Marshall style transformers and I'd really like to build me a plexi for classic EVH type tones. Thing is I don't know so much about plexi's, can someone suggest me a good 50w circuit to base it off? Any tips? Its definitely gonna be a 50w amp, and I play loud! If left to my own devices, I'd probably end up building a 1987, would you say that a good choice for what I'm after?

FYI - The trannies I have are, 290GX & 1750N.

I'll follow up with build pics ect :)

Cheers, Chris.
If you want to solo then solo, if the other guy wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him

Tone Slinger

Re: Suggest me a 50w EVH circuit..

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:14 am

Take a look at the pics of Onthefritz's '68 50 watt build in the classifieds. Just use the 12xxx layout in conjunction with a 1987 layout. I'm not sure about the filtering on 50 watters, but I assume its slightly lower than from '69 on. There's really only a couple of spots in the circuit, value-wise, where a concernable difference can be made/heard, mainly the v1 cathode resistor and the v2a cathode cap. The v1b plate bypass cap value is also impoortant. To a lesser degree the construction of the caps (polyester,polypropylene, etc) can affect things. The thing about getting a 1959 or 1987 to Do EVH is that you 'tune' how it sounds when cranked, not on 2 or 5 but full up (in most cases that is using an attenuator or a ppimv though).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:55 am

I ended up building my 50 watter using pretty much every spec allegedly used in Ed's amp. (you can hear it in my signiture link) Including low filtering like the 67/68 100 watters. Simple as that. The key IMO is the variac, EP-3 Preamp circuit, and a DSD type pickup. That will pretty much get you downtown early EVH. And of course a 4X12 w/some good greenback types. Sounds like the loud part isn't much of an issue. That's good because that's part of the deal too. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris_P

Post by Chris_P » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Take a look at the pics of Onthefritz's '68 50 watt build in the classifieds. Just use the 12xxx layout in conjunction with a 1987 layout. I'm not sure about the filtering on 50 watters, but I assume its slightly lower than from '69 on. There's really only a couple of spots in the circuit, value-wise, where a concernable difference can be made/heard, mainly the v1 cathode resistor and the v2a cathode cap. The v1b plate bypass cap value is also impoortant. To a lesser degree the construction of the caps (polyester,polypropylene, etc) can affect things. The thing about getting a 1959 or 1987 to Do EVH is that you 'tune' how it sounds when cranked, not on 2 or 5 but full up (in most cases that is using an attenuator or a ppimv though).
Thanks for the info man, I've checked out the build you mentioned and I've also been taking a look at the 12xxx and 1987 layouts in a bit more detail I think I will be doing as you say and basing mine off those, after a bit more reading. I totally get what you mean about doing tuning while cranked, just ask my neighbours :lol:
jnew wrote:I ended up building my 50 watter using pretty much every spec allegedly used in Ed's amp. (you can hear it in my signiture link) Including low filtering like the 67/68 100 watters. Simple as that. The key IMO is the variac, EP-3 Preamp circuit, and a DSD type pickup. That will pretty much get you downtown early EVH. And of course a 4X12 w/some good greenback types. Sounds like the loud part isn't much of an issue. That's good because that's part of the deal too. 8)
Cool thanks for the advice, very nice clips man, that's pretty much what I'll be aiming for right there! At the moment, I'm thinking 50+50 mains, 32+32 screens & PI and 32 preamp. Also, what kinda choke are you using, If any? I have a feeling I've seen a variac at work somewhere, I'm sure they'll let me pinch it to try it out. Regarding the EP-3, I found the schematic below, would you recommend going off that? Haha, nah I don't mind loud, I reckon it becomes just as much about the response of the amp as it does the tone when it comes to cranking it. Gotta be done :D

Cheers, Chris.
If you want to solo then solo, if the other guy wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Yep. That's the EP-3 pre-amp circuit I built and use. It's the real deal. I even ended up building a compressor board to try and integrate as some of the Echo-plex's (and possibly Ed's) had them. I couldn't ever really get it to work right so it sits in the garage. :lol: You'll enjoy building a 50 watt plexi. I built a 50 and a 100 water. And on the 100 watt, I pull two tubes and run as a 50. :? :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris_P

Post by Chris_P » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Sweet, looking forward to it. Looking to get started in within the next fortnight :).

white noise

Post by white noise » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:39 pm

arlynn wrote:I have modified this recliner chair http://www.javateakoutdoorfurniture.com ... recliners/ and add amp underneath, working great but need to minimize vibration.

We need the SPAM police on this guy "arlynn", a lot of his post are to links to furniture or kitchen cabinets!

Can a moderator take a look at this and give the metro BOOT!

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Yeah, I never got that one either. :roll: