Echoplex EP1/EP2

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Bainzy
Just the numbers in order: 7

Echoplex EP1/EP2

Post by Bainzy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Who's using one? How does one get that tone with distortion for an Eddie Van Halen sound without having to buy one?

I've been listening to Jimmy Page using one with Led Zeppelin, they sound fantastic, and I thought you guys in search of EVH tone might have experience with Echoplex's.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:32 am

I have an EP3 & 4. You surely don't need an Echoplex to get the tone. It's just a cool echo effect...that's all.
~guitar007

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:31 pm

Yeah, I'm after the cool echo effect, not the tone. I might have to pick one up on ebay if I can get one cheap enough later this year.

Shred Guitar

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:41 pm

Keep in mind the maintenance. They're not trouble-free like those little digital ones. Good Luck!
~guitar007

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:50 pm

I guess that's part of the fun though, right? :lol:

Shred Guitar

Crunchboy

Post by Crunchboy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:53 pm

Into the front end of amp, after boost/od pedal, the echoplex adds additional gain and saturation, even with the echo off. Why else do you think Eddie ALWAYS had it in front despite the fact that he rarely used it's echo capabilities. George Lynch routinely did this early on. Before you say he ALWAYS used it's echo, realize that the very short echo and reverb you hear on those old records was added at the board. "Ain't Talkin Bout Love" and "Dance The Night Away" are two examples of Eddie's use of the Echoplex's echo in front of the amp. It's a distinct sound, not particularly great as far as delay sounds go, and was used sparingly.

Post by guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Crunchboy - Is right on the mark.....I believe the echoplex eddie used was an EP3 - This echoplex is solid state and when in bypass is for all intents and purposes a clean fet boost . That's FET not fat ..and what a boost it is...and like all fet boosters they work best at 18vdc . This one works at 22vdc and is definitely part of the tone.

This also backs up the "just a plain old marshall with no mods theory" as it will throw a plexi frontend into brown territory. Also lends itself to the theory that ed preferred tube distortion over raspy fuzztones or solid state distortion boxs.

There has been talk about useing a clean boost like a mosfet booster..well there you go ...another piece to the puzzle. Actually in the tune up procedure for that echoplex it is required that the fet produce a +20db boost. If I'm wrong about the echoplex used disregard everything I said, but check the schematic for the active tube in bypass if it's an EP2.

If it is an EP3 you guys are getting closer and closer . At the same time getting me closer LOL :lol:

bvmjethead

Post by bvmjethead » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:29 am

guitar007 wrote:I have an EP3 & 4. You surely don't need an Echoplex to get the tone.

I'll have to disagree with that statement. That's what makes the Echoplex is it's tone. There is not a non tape unit on the market that can give you true tube tape delay tone.

It's just a cool echo effect...

No argument here...

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 am

I think he meant you don't need one to get the EVH tone

Shred Guitar

bvmjethead

Post by bvmjethead » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:18 am

Bainzy wrote:I think he meant you don't need one to get the EVH tone
I knew that, and I completely disagree. The Echoplex was an intregal part of E's tone.

That's why people can get close but not duplicate it, that among other things like not having his fingers.....

Anyway, not here to argue, just my thoughts.....