Fryette Power Station with more than one stack workaround

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

ice cream man
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Fryette Power Station with more than one stack workaround

Post by ice cream man » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:32 am

Hi guys,
I am going for the EVH brown sound and I think I am really close right now with my Suhr SL68 Plexi, Fryette PS-2, Marshall 1968 basketweave and Marshall 1971 Checkboard both loaded with rola pulsonic T1221 greenbacks and JBL D120F speakers. It sounds damn good. I plan to add the whole nine-yards to the rig: Blue MXR 6 Band EQ, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR EVH Flanger, vintage Echoplex EP-3, and even the Schaeffer Vega Replica from SoloDallas.

I impusively bought another 1968 basketweave with pre rola greenbacks because it was owned and used by George Lynch on tour in the '80s who is my second favorite guitarist (second only to EVH of course). I plan to buy another checkboard cab full of blackbacks so that I can have two complete stacks, but I just realized that the Fryette PS-2 only has two output jacks for cabs. Does anyone know if there is a good way to work around this to use more than two cabs with the PS-2 or PS-100? I apologize in advance that I do not know much about electronics and amp stuff.

I also have an RJS 68/100 EVH Plexi, so another idea would be to simply use an ABY pedal, buy another PS-2, and run the two stacks in stereo. I was thinking that this combination may also sound fuller and more interesting but who knows

Not to open up a can of worms that has probably been opened a million times on here, but the current consensus is that for the first tour, Ed did not slave his non-12301 amps, right? So with the 6-10 cabinets, he either only used one amp at a time (each one hooked up to two cabs) or used three amps in stereo? And only the straight cabs were used, the angled cabs were essentially dummy cabs just for show? I have read so many different things over the years on different forums that I am trying to remember what the most recent settled theory was

Thanks in advance guys

jnew

Re: Fryette Power Station with more than one stack workaround

Post by jnew » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:11 pm

So if I understand you correctly, you want to run 4 cabs out of the Fryette that has 2 speaker outputs. It can definitely be done a couple of different ways. What are the impedance options on the back of the Fryette? We'll start with that and go from there. :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:13 pm

I would think two custom Y speaker cables out of the Fryette with the appropriate ohm setting would work. I would guess 8 ohm if you had the Y cables for all four cabs, as long as they were 16 ohm cabs.

Going to depend on the Fryette speaker out setup, but if it's parallel wired (like most things) that should be one way to do it.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

MrBeasty
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MrBeasty » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:35 pm

ice cream man wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:32 am
Hi guys,
I am going for the EVH brown sound and I think I am really close right now with my Suhr SL68 Plexi, Fryette PS-2, Marshall 1968 basketweave and Marshall 1971 Checkboard both loaded with rola pulsonic T1221 greenbacks and JBL D120F speakers. It sounds damn good. I plan to add the whole nine-yards to the rig: Blue MXR 6 Band EQ, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR EVH Flanger, vintage Echoplex EP-3, and even the Schaeffer Vega Replica from SoloDallas.
I would put the MXR 6 band at the very end of that list of "must have". It was used much, certainly not in the studio (way too noisy). The Schaeffer Vegas wasn't aquired until sometime in 1978, and there is no indication that it was used in the studio either. It is a killer piece of gear though.

ice cream man wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:32 am
Not to open up a can of worms that has probably been opened a million times on here, but the current consensus is that for the first tour, Ed did not slave his non-12301 amps, right? So with the 6-10 cabinets, he either only used one amp at a time (each one hooked up to two cabs) or used three amps in stereo? And only the straight cabs were used, the angled cabs were essentially dummy cabs just for show? I have read so many different things over the years on different forums that I am trying to remember what the most recent settled theory was

Thanks in advance guys
No slaving until the 1984 tour. Before that (post-1978) they had the guitar into a splitter-box feeding a multitude of Marshall amps, on voltage regulators, feeding custom 8x12 cabinets. All effects were in front of the amps. There is no indication that there was any "stereo" fiddling until later (the 1985/1986 tour).
Per the Met expo, the first tour was two Marshalls (on voltage regulators) into two Marshall 4X12s each, so four cabs total. The rest was backup/backdrop cabs. Although at one point (after opening for Black Sabbath) everything was hooked-up, but that was very brief. All effects were in front of the amps.

The first album, first tour, and the second albums are essentially the same gear, but by January 1979 the band had a completely new backline built: all new amps, new cabs, everything rackmounted and on wheels, bigger PA, bigger lights, and everything twice as big as before.

My $0.02.