Fryette's new load/reamping device

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

dirtycooter

Re: Fryette's new load/reamping device

Post by dirtycooter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Almost all of my favorite clips are slaved but it requires 3 things
The proper linout with a decent transformer
A load-honestly think it has to be the right ohm load as the fryette has switches here for 4-8-16. I use the 16 here fed by the 8ohm tap on the head.
And a 2nd power amp with the right voice and set to the same ohm offset as you would runnin a lone variaced head -8 into a 16 ohm cab.
These settings make alot of voicing difference. Especially in the brightness and tightness your lookin for.
That ohm offset keeps everything tight and rippin and its safe if not safer to do so. More load is safer than not enough load.
So if you haven't tried that? Check again and go through it once it more and see what you hear. It does some fandango shit to the high end response.

eljodon
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by eljodon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:43 pm

I checked all the settings and the Aracom still sounded better to me.
I wrote to Fryette and they're going to modify it. I asked if there's a low pass filter since I felt it lacks sparkle and they said yes. So they're going to take the low pass filter and modify the presence knob to be more narrow like a Plexi. I'm sure that some people might say I'm crazy but when a low pass filter is used that limits it to 5 kHz you loose the "air"which I really miss especially if you're slaving an amp. My Aracom has a low pass filter bypass and it sounds the best without it.
I like the speaker be the low pass filter which sounds more natural to me, not the attenuator. If the amp sounds to bright, I just lower the presence.
Suhr PT100SE ,Metro/Friedman 68' Plexi, ,Friedman BE100,EVH 5150iiiS,Fender Vibrolux 68'/Alessandro,VoxAC30,Kemper

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:44 pm

Greenbacks and t75's peak out at 5khz so I can see where that is likely the case. And would be a choice for them to pick that frequency. So it makes total sense. I am not seeming to be able to get get quite as bright in the same manner as without the power station. But its kinda welcome for me though. I was wanting a little snippage off the top. So far I am happy at noonish on the presence of the PS. Up to where its uncomfortable and back it off a notch.
This mod would be nice to share for those that may look for more open voicing I think. We will have to await your feedback on the switch.

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm taking the PS in tomorrow. They asked me to bring my best plexi so they can try to out. How cool is that for a company to do that? As soon as I try it I'll report back!
I do a lot of mixing using many types of speakers and when I'm mixing guitars I use a low pass filter, but if I cut the the frequency to 5kHz like the guitar speakers are usually rated, I loose the "air" especially with a mix with just guitar, bass and drums. So when I listen to the PS while being miked, I don't hear that "air" and if you try to use an eq to bring it back it sounds fake. I like to have that naturally so I have the choice to were to set the low pass filter which I use a lot on many instruments to leave room for other instruments. I usually low pass guitars at 10kHZ. When I eq guitars I try not to add anything so I do more cutting which sounds more natural. But it also depends how well the guitars were recorded.

If you look a the frequency response of a Celestion speaker in a graph you'll notice that it starts gradually cutting off at 5kHz, is not a straight slope, so I don't understand why they would use a low pass filter unless you record direct. But doing that is not needed anymore since people are now using IR's
Suhr PT100SE ,Metro/Friedman 68' Plexi, ,Friedman BE100,EVH 5150iiiS,Fender Vibrolux 68'/Alessandro,VoxAC30,Kemper

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Ha ha! Yes. You found the graphs for the celestions. 8)
Thats a handy piece of information right there. I took this into consideration with my Palmer PGA05 when I used to use that.
There was the 6Khz cut switch I alway used and then used the hi filter dial to sweep it in so I totally get where you are coming from. Its super cool they are willing to tweak it for you. Although I am not feeling the need for it.
Everything is flat-I pick my output level and use only the presence knob and today I discovered gettin rid of the loop switcher-the super buffer hi fidelity engineered into that -and simply using all my pedals in series like Ed used to with some stacked buffers of the pedals themselves and some signal degradation of long cable in front and its amazing what I am getting now. It is hard to put it down. And my understanding is really gettin keen at this juncture.
But I am interested in this mod as it does lend some option to those in need.

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:20 pm

I also had the same Palmer and I had the same problem because it was meant to be used as a DI.I also had the Groove Tube speaker simulator II and 3 custom build dummy load from different companies and the Groove Tube had the same problem but since the custom made ones were built with out a low pass filter they sounded better. I don't think that amps use a low pass filter so I don't think an attenuator should have one since the speakers serves as a "natural" low pass filter. I use also love Strats with single coil pickups quite a bit and when using the PS, it doesn't sound as bright to me.

I spoke with the gentlemen at Fryette for awhile and he told me that the FX loop is passive. I wonder how it would sound if it was active. I'm going to try using the pedals straight like you did since I have a buffer system on my pedal rack which works great with the effects loops of some of my amps. I only use the fx loops just to plug an eq in it and when I slave my NMV Plexis I also like to use an eq to have more control over post distortion.

RACKSYSTEMS

Post by RACKSYSTEMS » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:42 am

Well passive but not what your thinking. Basically you have the amp loaded down and knocked down to line or pedal level ( this is low impedance). Then you have a power amp input basically. So it is a low impedance loop just no active parts there. As far as the presence goes I asked for the same thing.
Rack Systems / Tone Merchants
5419 Cleon Ave.
North Hollywood, Ca. 91601
[818] 209-4309
Racksystems@yahoo.com
Tonemerchants.com

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks for your input Dave. That's why I asked them to modify the Presence control because as soon as I started playing my guitar and to played around with the pretense knob, didn't like how it sounded. I wasn't getting the top end or sizzle that my BE100 or Plexi's usually get.It needed to be more narrow and "peaky" as the gentleman from Fryette described .

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:04 am

dirtycooter wrote:I installed a Duncan Custom today. That brought in some soooo needed mid range push compared to the DSD. And it cleans up much better and has some spanky clean. Jnew and Efraser is right on about this pickup. It makes dsd sound messy as hell and harsh in comparison. Solid twangy clean to balls out drive. More body. Tight. Drives like crazy but sounds smooth and unlike a hot pickup to me.
The Duncan Custom has been my VH pickup for a couple of years now. I think your comparison to the DSD and even the MM1300 is correct. They latter two are a bit messy and somewhat one dimensional.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:36 am

My current favorite pick up is the PRS 59/09 for awhile it's drives my amp quite nice. I bought the Suhr SSV+ hoping to get more drive after reading the specs but the PRS ended up having more power and clearer, but the SSV+ has a nice midrange.I've never really tried Duncan pick ups, perhaps I should, plus they're not as expensive as PRS which are $179 a piece!

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:15 pm

Thorn has me interested in that SSV. While he demoed the dsd for vh1 kinda gain when he switched to the ssv I really liked that one. VH2 all day to my ears.
Its a great sound either way.

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:55 pm

dirtycooter wrote:Thorn has me interested in that SSV. While he demoed the dsd for vh1 kinda gain when he switched to the ssv I really liked that one. VH2 all day to my ears.
Its a great sound either way.
I had a pickup "cemetery" box from trying so many pickups for so many years! I decided to put them up on ebay and made enough cash to build a new Warmoth guitar plus some more pickups! But I'm liking the SSV+ the more I play it, I just wish it had a bit more drive for my NMV Plexi's. I works great with all my high gain amps especially with my new BE100 and that I purchased last week.
I'm still waiting for my Fryette PS that I left at their shop along with one of my best plexi and my Boss GE 10 because they wanted to test it. I dropped it last Wend and the guy told me that it should be ready in a couple of days, so I called on Friday and the place was closed! Steve Fryette emailed me that they were closed on Thursday and Friday!

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:05 am

I am lovin the Custom. At first it was so damn bright. But I was smart enough to dumb down the signal path with some fat chicks in the back of this big block hot rod. Gettin traction much better traction now. Come on girls put them asses directly over the Ford 9" :lol:
I dunno how this pickup was under the radar for so long. It shits and gits. Exactly the fix I was huntin for.
Feels like I made leaps and bounds between this and the frybaby and a few months ago I started variac'n.
Now the front end is probably much more in spec to deliver some suprises especially with the 6band takin it up a notch.
The mid drive area is pretty touchy and maybe later I will try the wolfgang p/u. I see these two maybe neck and neck in the mid dept with the Custom just bein hotter from all the collateral info out there I have gathered and clips. I can definitly tell where this custom will be honky in the 5153 like the wolfgang evh pickups withoit even pluggin in yet. I refuse to puss out and go on the A2 crack diet for my mid needs. Or maybe it will be the SSV next. But it will be a while before I move on again.

Fryette musta needed a beercation from probably what is and has been slam donky city orders.
I was pleased with my lead time though. It was rather quick for comin outta the gate just a few months ago.

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Well, I got the Power Station back and they took out the low pass filter and narrowed the presence control and I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't get this modification done, you're an idiot!!!!!LOL!!

I tried all my amps and I couldn't stop playing them! I used to use an eq in the fx loop to get the tone that I like and I don't needed it anymore! It's brighter than before, but at least I can dial it back and get as dark as I want to, but now I have much more to work with. The air that I was missing is back and I can hear much more detail than before with all my amps. My Plexis sound much better even with the variac at 80 volts and for some reason it feels like I'm getting more gain from them(perhaps I'm imagining it from being blown away)
As far as the fx loop, I'm still having the squeal problem,but since I might not need an eq after all, it really doesn't matter as long as a delay,doubler or reverb works.
I talked to Steve Fryette for awhile and he's a real cool guy with a lot of knowledge. I even tried some of his amps and they sound great.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Did he just take the filters completely out? Or changed the crossover points?
Seems it could be a bypass switcheable option possibly. And probably will be in the future if he gets alot of requests for this.