EP-PRE revisited

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Good Guest

Re: EP-PRE revisited

Post by Good Guest » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:28 am

spaceace76 wrote: I've heard lots of bad stuff about NTE transistors, and the few I've used weren't so great. My local electronics shop carries them though, so I guess they're worth a shot when I get around to trying this out.
NTE = no quality control...that pretty well went out the window when they took over ECG.....the local shops like them cause they are more expensive and very rarely work right= more $$$ for the shop. After all is said and one ...like buying a pile of 'em to get a good one, you may as well go the extra mile and get the quality fet. :wink:

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am

ClinchFX is in Australia so he is either using locally available FET's or imported ones and if he's using locally available FET's then I should be able to get them because I am also in Australia.

The 2N5457 FET is just one of many that I'm looking at. I'm gradually going through some FET specs to see if any other FET's are more suitable.

TIS58 (FET-N) Equivalents

2N3819, 2N5459, BF245, BF256, 2N5484

1969 "vintage" TI transistor data book says of the TIS58 "2N5949 thru 2N5953 are recomended for new designs". It also claims the 2N5953 is the closest equivalent, however, the pinout is different.

Googling 2N5484 and equivalent or cross reference yields the following results:
2N3819
2N5457
2N5486
2SK104
2SK168
2SK17
2SK37
2SK49
2SK55
BF410A/B
ECG312
FE5484
J305
J5103
K305-18
LS3819
LS5103
LS5246
LS5484
MPF102 (MPF-102)
TIS58
Last edited by leadguy on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

spaceace76
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by spaceace76 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:01 am

Good Guest wrote:
spaceace76 wrote: I've heard lots of bad stuff about NTE transistors, and the few I've used weren't so great. My local electronics shop carries them though, so I guess they're worth a shot when I get around to trying this out.
NTE = no quality control...that pretty well went out the window when they took over ECG.....the local shops like them cause they are more expensive and very rarely work right= more $$$ for the shop. After all is said and one ...like buying a pile of 'em to get a good one, you may as well go the extra mile and get the quality fet. :wink:
yeah that's what i've heard. i actually already have some 2N5457's floating around, i just want to consider lots of different subjects so i can compare them to my NOS TIS58's. they won't last forever!

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:56 am

Here is the Xotic.
12000 Metro Kit

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:10 am

donbarzini wrote:
motrock wrote:
donbarzini wrote:I didn't even realize the Xotic EP-Booster could operate at 18v and I had no idea about the dip switches inside for bass and treble. I will definitely have to try it at 18V this evening.
SO you own the EP-Booster? How do you think it sounds?
I like it better than the EP-Pre. To me, it sounds/feels more like plugged into a real EP-3 with more boost available. I think it is built way better as well. With the EP-Pre, I only liked using it clean, not with gain, it sounded like one of those sonic maximizer pedals. However, many men like the EP-Pre over the EP-Booster so this is only my opinion.
I have to agree. I got to try the Clinch yesterday. I have the Xotic and did like it better as well. The Clinch sounds very good but the Xotic is a bit more versitile and adds that elusive "I dont use distortion pedals" gain that eludes us. Both have that 3D effect to your sound. Either pedal does the job. I've yet to hear anyone really complain about either.
12000 Metro Kit

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 am

vanhalen5150 wrote: I have to agree. I got to try the Clinch yesterday. I have the Xotic and did like it better as well. The Clinch sounds very good but the Xotic is a bit more versitile and adds that elusive "I dont use distortion pedals" gain that eludes us. Both have that 3D effect to your sound. Either pedal does the job. I've yet to hear anyone really complain about either.
Cool! Thats why I am going to get one! I have a wait a few weeks though. I just ordered a new neck from USA Customs. I am going to try to sell the Birdseye Neck. I bet I can get just a little over a hundred for it. Someone will buy it!

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 am

When the Xotic EP is stripped of it's switches it's really just a standard FET in a common source configuration with a phase shift of 180 degrees between input and output http://www.piclist.com/images/ca/ualber ... ode91.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; very similar to the Tillman FET preamp http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and so is the ClinchFX EP and this FET configuration is in tons of gear.

This is the Tillman FET preamp http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here is how it sounds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDeJXaxguqU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's all very simple and nothing new but ends up sounding pretty good.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

Staalhoofd

Post by Staalhoofd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:52 pm

I got my EP-pre today. I have to say, it's not a subtle effect like some say :shock:

With the EP-pre in my signal chain I'm actually starting to believe that Eddie's amp might have been stock. It really adds some crucial components to the sound (slight boost and some hair). I really like it. I tried it with a cascade and stock. It sounded better with a stock setup.

I never knew the EP-3 had such an effect on the sound.

Next step: get another one and put it in a slave setup with a good echo pedal :D
Marshall 73 50W
Marshall 74 100W
Marshall 81 JCM800 100W / SIR#34
Metroamp 100W SIR#36
Randall RG100ES
Marshall EL34 50/50
ADA MP1 3TM
Marshall JMP1

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Staalhoofd wrote:I got my EP-pre today. I have to say, it's not a subtle effect like some say :shock:

With the EP-pre in my signal chain I'm actually starting to believe that Eddie's amp might have been stock. It really adds some crucial components to the sound (slight boost and some hair). I really like it. I tried it with a cascade and stock. It sounded better with a stock setup.

I never knew the EP-3 had such an effect on the sound.

Next step: get another one and put it in a slave setup with a good echo pedal :D
I am telling you.. I totally believe the the EP-3s were all that Eddie used to boost the amp. I can believe that on Van Halen 1 Eddie may have had the MXR or Boss. Thats entirely possible. I can also believe that he only used the EQs to correct 100s of feet of cable. But for practical use for what we are trying to accomplish... 2 of those EP-Pre's or EP-Boosters should get us there!

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 pm

I think the EP-Booster by Exotic probably boosts the signal(especially with the EQ section) alot more than the Clinch EP-PRE which is more in line with the actual EP-3 circuit which wasn't meant to boost the signal really by design.

As long as the EP-Booster by Exotic gets you that Jfet and slightly out of phase signal effect tonally it should be close.

I really like my Clinch EP-PRE's. If you need any more gain than running the EP-3 and an MXR EQ in front of your plexi you have gone beyond the amount of gain Ed had. :wink:

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 pm

harddriver wrote:I think the EP-Booster by Exotic probably boosts the signal(especially with the EQ section) alot more than the Clinch EP-PRE which is more in line with the actual EP-3 circuit which wasn't meant to boost the signal really by design.

As long as the EP-Booster by Exotic gets you that Jfet and slightly out of phase signal effect tonally it should be close.

I really like my Clinch EP-PRE's. If you need any more gain than running the EP-3 and an MXR EQ in front of your plexi you have gone beyond the amount of gain Ed had. :wink:
I would have to agree! I think that the EP-Booster would be good enough for me. The tone I am going for is the WACF and Fair Warning tones. Its not going to take much for me to have that nailed! Just a slight boost from the EP-Booster.

Staalhoofd

Post by Staalhoofd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:13 pm

That's what the EP-pre does: just a slight boost. But, it's just enough. Consider the fact that slaving adds some gain, and maybe a second ep-pre in between the two amps and you don't need a cascade anymore. All the gain you need is right there.
Marshall 73 50W
Marshall 74 100W
Marshall 81 JCM800 100W / SIR#34
Metroamp 100W SIR#36
Randall RG100ES
Marshall EL34 50/50
ADA MP1 3TM
Marshall JMP1

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Has anyone tried two EP-Pre's in series? Ed used two EP-3's, at least he did live. it's a worthy experiment

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:03 pm

spaceace76 wrote:Has anyone tried two EP-Pre's in series? Ed used two EP-3's, at least he did live. it's a worthy experiment
I have been thinking that the results would probably blow us away. I have been thinking that the amount of gain on the first album was due to that! The once you get those greenbacks combined with the JBLS.... its nailed!

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Staalhoofd wrote:That's what the EP-pre does: just a slight boost. But, it's just enough. Consider the fact that slaving adds some gain, and maybe a second ep-pre in between the two amps and you don't need a cascade anymore. All the gain you need is right there.
Yep... that sounds most likely!