Re: Double Variac Vids through different amps and guitars

Post by axeman » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:17 pm

That is one amazing tone Jnew :thumbsup:

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:15 am

Thanks axeman. :wink:

As a side note to amp controls on 10, FWIW, Mikes 68 Superlead behaved exactly the same way. Everything on 10 except CH I Vol. It went to about 6 and was optimal. Mike likes to dime his VOL and roll the bass back but to me, it is more gain than needed and sort of comes apart. We left his amp on 16 ohms because he didn't trust his impedance switch enough to mess around with it. My amp had the one step, mismatch thing going. I just like the way it saturates and compresses in warm, thumpier way. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:50 am

I don't like messing with the old imp switch or voltage selector, but I'm going to put both 68s to 8ohm. I like the mismatch tone you and Eric are getting.

Robocop101985
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Robocop101985 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:17 am

Great clips guys...

Did you guys experiment with both variacs and try slaving any amps at all?

I tried this with my Metro and Landry amp and had some promising results. 1st varaic would be used on the Metro and the 2nd would be used on the Landry.

What I've tried differently from just using the Return Loop on the Landry like a usual slaving set up... is that I split the signal in front of both amps. Using a whirlwind AB box.. I set it to dual output and had my guitar going into both inputs on the amp. The Metro had the more dominant output signal since its going into the Return of the Landry but I was able to color the tone using the Landry's pre-amp where it was just subtle enough to make a huge difference to my hears.

Both amps were set at 8 ohms and everything was cranked on the Metro except for the mids which I actually had on 0. I adjusted it on the Landry to my taste. I also had my 1st variac around 85v. If you guys have a chance you may wanna try it out to see what you think.

Again great clips and playing guys!

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:49 am

No slaving or re-amping on this day. This was the first time Mike and I got together and there was too much gear to just jump in to mix up. In fact 2 of the 3 amps, neither of us had heard before so it just wouldn't have been a good idea. I definitely needed to feel and hear the 68's in the nude.

But aside from all that, I think you have to be dialed with the amp to cab tone before any re-amping, slaving, daisy chaining, etc. There's a core to it all, IMO. All the rest is just for volume management, processing or blending. Then that just opens up other doors to stuff to manage. In other words, if your not hearing it in a single amp setup, I don't think one will suddenly find it by adding more stages of gear. To me, the tones around here are better than ever and it's all been focused on doing away with attenuators, re-amping/slaving, etc. Check the latest from Eric Fraser, Phil, Rob, Roger. Ralle has pretty much been faithful to this. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:10 am

mightymike wrote:"Dual Variac'd 68 Plexi Franky 8.15k/A5"
Amp & setup sound killer & the guitar looks Vantastic, mightymike! (Headstock curve looks good and liking the extreme angle on that string tree & pickup in P.A.F. territory.
jnew, killin' it with LH vivrato. love the strength in them fingers, Brother ! #12369 gettin some just punishment & takin' a lickin' !
Thanks for posting these vid's. Nice mini Summit. Sounds like the next on will be a plethora of Tone.
jnew wrote:There's a core to it all, IMO. All the rest is just for volume management, processing or blending.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:48 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks JimiJames. BTW, DAFUKYUBEEN? :lol: