Whoa! Strat78! How did I miss this?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

efraser68

Re: Whoa! Strat78! How did I miss this?

Post by efraser68 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:36 pm

Strat78 wrote:
rgorke wrote:yes, sounds fantastic!! But that's not how Ed plays it..... :whistle:

Tell us about the neck. I like the little dots.
Yeah, not a trace of SOTOTW :lol:
I keep going back to the improv section and it's so sweet. It's one thing to play licks that are outlining the chord changes...but entirely different beast to make it musical, swingin, bluesy, slippery. Just jealous is all I'm saying' :mrgreen: :drool:
Remember Ben Wise (aka Stunt Double) & Mark Abrahamian
http://www.soundclick.com/EricFraser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Strat78 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:42 pm

jnew wrote:Not to go off topic here but I made a short 7 minute video for 3 or 4 guys who've PM'd me about the 2nd variac thing and how to make it all work. I created a YouTube account and tried to upload it but it sat there all day saying "Processing". How the hell do you do it? :bang:
The first one I tried to upload did that too. I had some blank footage in the beginning so I figured that was confusing what ever software was processing the vid. I also run the words together in the title to not alert any copywriter sensing software. The last few I've done seemed to have worked so I guess I did something right. To make the vid, I have my cheap little cam corder going at the same time I'm recording in pro-tools. If I like the take, I just drop the movie file into pro tools with the recorded tracks and sink everything up, add reverb and save it as a quicktime movie file. I don't use the sound file from the cam corder. Whats kind of cool is that in youtube you can go in and fix the color, brightness etc, on your video. It allows you to add a little warmth to the otherwise washed out looking video.

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Ah. I just shot it on my iPhone, loaded it on to the iMac and uploaded it to YouTube through iPhoto. Maybe I need to learn how to use iMovie or Quicktime. It might make that process better. :what:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:41 pm

efraser68 wrote: swingin, bluesy, slippery.
Thanks Eric, those are the three flavors that make Edwards playing so compelling, so that was what I was going for. I don't know, I was trying to get deep into the nuances of the way Ed plays little dreamer and finally I just said; what the fuck am I doing, put something of your own in there, snap out of the fixation! :lol:

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:29 pm

jnew wrote:Ah. I just shot it on my iPhone, loaded it on to the iMac and uploaded it to YouTube through iPhoto. Maybe I need to learn how to use iMovie or Quicktime. It might make that process better. :what:
I actually don't have a smart phone :oops: is there a way to save in quicktime format from the iPhone. Someone else needs to jump in here because I'm new at this too.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Strat78 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:Cool...both clips sound great! I've always been on board with your results...I think I speak for everyone on the Internet that has listened to your clips over the years when I say "Bravo!" :champ:
Thanks garb, doing this in vid format is new to me. Now I'm just another middle-aged, headless guitar dabbler taking up bit space on the net. :lol:
Yes! I joined the club a few months ago...

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:37 am

Star*Guitar wrote:Doctor Phil.....

wow - I really enjoy the in between riff fills - really nailing the nuances of the feel w subtle pinch harmonics and wammy bar technique - NICE! :listen:

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Nice man! Like it! Do I see a Fender combo lit up there to your right??
garbeaj wrote:Yes! I joined the club a few months ago...
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:04 am

fivecoyote wrote:Nice man! Like it! Do I see a Fender combo lit up there to your right??
Yep, my headless horseman clip was my Rockstah Marshall, but you can see my other two amps in the background...my main amp, which is a vintage and stock 1965 blackface Fender Super Reverb that I've had for years (I used that along with my Bray Line-Out box for the reverb you hear in the clip) and the small combo that is tilted on an amp stand is my Sears 1482 amp which was not plugged in.

I've had both of those since before I started playing...they belonged to my uncle that passed away at a young age. I got his gear which also included my first and still my main guitar, a 1968 Olympic White maple neck Fender Strat, when he died and I started playing right then and there. I was 8 years old. Not a bad way to start out even considering the tragic circumstances.

My uncle was 23 when he died driving drunk and high. He smoked a joint with my Dad, drank several beers and listened to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Damn The Torpedoes which had just come out. Then he drove his chocolate brown 1977 turbo Pontiac Firebird into a large brick sign less than a mile from our house and he was gone.

I also got his incredible record collection...as you might expect he had all the classic guitar rock that existed...Trower, Hendrix, Allmans, Rory Gallagher, all the Zeppelin...everyone. And he was a very early adopter of Van Halen. He had Van Halen and Van Halen II which had also just come out.

Long story, but that's how I got started on this crazy road!

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:11 am

I always liked that White Destroyer conversion of yours. I believe your guitar is how EVH'S was when VH1 was recorded. If I ever find a beater to restore, I would love to build one like your.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:21 pm

I was lucky to find a real beater but still original '75-'76 Destroyer for $750 on eBay and in the course of all the research I did on Ed's original Ibanez Destroyer and on Ibanez Destroyers in general, it became clear that modeling my guitar on the white painted (and probably first album) phase of Ed's Destroyer was the way to go.

But I have to say that Phil was way ahead of the curve on Ed's Destroyer. Phil had a white painted Destroyer long before mine. In fact, Phil helped me quite a bit with the research. If I recall correctly, he had an original 70s Ibanez Destroyer and a Greco Destroyer (same guitar with different pickups) and he of course made all kinds of pickup comparisons in his guitars. Phil used a fucking Pod and got some of the most realistic first album Destroyer tones ever. Give it up for Strat78!
Last edited by garbeaj on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Killer playing and tone..nailed it
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:13 pm

I can't wait to compare Strat78's 75 Destroyer in this Video to my 76 Greco Destroyer. I bought this guitar a few weeks ago from him, and I will see it for the 1st time Thursday. A/B clips will be coming ASAP.

mr.twistyneck
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by mr.twistyneck » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Bring em to the house!

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:43 pm

Soon maybe this weekend