new amp build - EVH

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

master keeper

Post by master keeper » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:51 am

rockstah wrote:i put the darkburst back in. still is a couple things i want to do to the spec but for now thought u may want to hear the db and jb difference... now excuse me while i hack..
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6117518
This clip is too trebly for me, I like the first clip better. It woulda been great with cranked amp power tube and speaker compression!

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:10 am

Me likie likie... Sounds though like you get a better feel in your play with the db... but I think it sounds better with the jb ( wonder why :roll: ) but that's just me... Nice how the filterings put up that great voice... It's like a ultimate curv of the tone... not to muddy, no lacking of the grind and chewyness, no lack of highs... sounds great :wink:

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:51 am

I think the 2nd one sounds more like EVH. The first one is recorded a bit louder. I like the 2203 no boost no EQ just straight in and out.

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Strat78 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:14 am

rockstah wrote:i put the darkburst back in. still is a couple things i want to do to the spec but for now thought u may want to hear the db and jb difference... now excuse me while i hack..
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6117518
I think Edwards tone begins with getting the low E to sound right. Those growls are beautiful with the db but are flabby with jb. I remember before the lights went up at the 78 VH shows you would hear Edward do those low E growls and the hair would stand up on your arms. The db is dynamic and soaring with a wider range of tones. The jb clips are warm and cozy but a little plush.

highgainiac

Post by highgainiac » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:57 pm

I tend to agree with Strat 78 - The darkburst sounds like it has more potential. Maybe that is why Ed used EQ with lower output PAF type pickups.

Were you using any EQ with the darkburst? Maybe using the EQ would get the qualities everyone likes with the JB, but avoid the loss of definition in the low-end. Post a clip of the darkburst with the GE-10!

Both clips kick ass! If my amp sounded like that, my fingers would be bloody and I'd only put the guitar down every 3-4 days to eat!
Brian J

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:03 pm

Hey mark, Im thinking of buying a couple of those weber pre-rola clones, are you using ceramic or alnico magnets? if you using alnico are they worth the extra $75?

Sounds awsome btw.
If I was a good student I wouldnt be attending music school.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:40 pm

i like it with the jb alot better..maybe a paf with the eq would be better?
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:51 pm

The jb does have a certain sound that works better on the opening riff.

Namar

Post by Namar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:22 pm

The jb recording sounds fantastic man, listening to them back to back, it's a huge difference. That amp sounds freakin' sweet too, good job.

The jb is a super fun pickup, but a hair too heavy in the mids and too compressed for me. I have a push pull in a kramer with the jb, and wired it to split, split it gets clearer and cleaner in the mids, but loses the macho tone, and gets that hideous single coil pick attack sound that over the years has begun driving me nuts.

I keep eyeballing my '59 and thinking about sticking the '59 slug coil half to the jb screw coil half and possibly having the ultimate pickup for my ears... But I'm too afraid I'd end up with two new refrigerator magnets and a birds nest of copper wire. Heh... I'm not even sure if that's possible, the last cheapo humbucker I took apart to goof with was a solid piece of plastic for both spools, making it impossible. Dunno if the duncans are the same, and haven't had the guts to rip it apart yet and see....

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:16 pm

Hmmm... I think I like the JB better too! It handles the low end better and has that ballsy sound.
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

LypsLynch55

Post by LypsLynch55 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:27 pm

Namar wrote:The jb recording sounds fantastic man, listening to them back to back, it's a huge difference. That amp sounds freakin' sweet too, good job.

The jb is a super fun pickup, but a hair too heavy in the mids and too compressed for me. I have a push pull in a kramer with the jb, and wired it to split, split it gets clearer and cleaner in the mids, but loses the macho tone, and gets that hideous single coil pick attack sound that over the years has begun driving me nuts.

I keep eyeballing my '59 and thinking about sticking the '59 slug coil half to the jb screw coil half and possibly having the ultimate pickup for my ears... But I'm too afraid I'd end up with two new refrigerator magnets and a birds nest of copper wire. Heh... I'm not even sure if that's possible, the last cheapo humbucker I took apart to goof with was a solid piece of plastic for both spools, making it impossible. Dunno if the duncans are the same, and haven't had the guts to rip it apart yet and see....
Send it to me and I will do it. Ive made several sets of Hybrids.
"Just shine the echo there....Tommy get those cords that we use" - DLR during the Pasadena Rehearsal

badtoneno

Post by badtoneno » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:25 pm

The DB is winning bigtime for me. It has the signature high end sizzle of VH1 that the JB is lacking. Considering that it was a low volume clip, I think it is outstanding!

I had a JB in my VH strat copy and it was OK- once I put the DB in it was like- yeah that's more it baby. Only thing is that I really had to back off the presence as it is a bright guitar anyway.

Killer clips, Mark!

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:37 pm

The Darkburst is the next pickup on my list to try. I've heard nothing but great things about it. That said, I still like the JB with Mark's latest build.
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

badtoneno

Post by badtoneno » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:06 pm

gnugear wrote:The Darkburst is the next pickup on my list to try. I've heard nothing but great things about it. That said, I still like the JB with Mark's latest build.
I like a lot of the WCRs. They seem to have some extra mojo in them. I've had a pair of the Filmores that were great in a LP and currently have a set of Shredders in a Brubaker that I love.

In the right guitar the DB is just killer. I will say, I didn't care for it in my LP though.

Namar

Post by Namar » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:58 pm

LypsLynch55 wrote:Send it to me and I will do it. Ive made several sets of Hybrids.
Thanks for the offer man, what a cool dude, but I just tried it out, and it is NOT the sound I was expecting, hee hee....

However, if you are trying to nail richie blackmore's tone in man on the silver mountain or something like that, this is a great way to get there. Heh. The jb coil totally overpowers the 59 coil, you can barely hear the difference split/humbucking, it is a really strong single coil sound. Don't waste your time on that mod folks, not worth it. Time to put it back the way it was... At least I can stop wondering about it now.

:lol: