Slaving a Plexi Project

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

wdelaney72

Re: Slaving a Plexi Project

Post by wdelaney72 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:33 am

vkaxeman wrote: 4. Then buy one of these Effects Loops and put it in your 2nd amp
Steve's loop return is more instrument level... not line level. It could be adjusted to be line level, but as it is being sold it's instrument level.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

blfrd
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by blfrd » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:10 am

wdelaney72 wrote:
vkaxeman wrote: 4. Then buy one of these Effects Loops and put it in your 2nd amp
Steve's loop return is more instrument level... not line level. It could be adjusted to be line level, but as it is being sold it's instrument level.
This was confusing to me as well. I couldn't understand what Steve's effects loop had to do with this setup. I know Rockstah was wiring it "LIKE" an effects loop but I think Steve's is different. No?

Anyway, I thought the 2nd amp was unmodified?
If there's no quiet, there can be no loud.

vkaxeman

Post by vkaxeman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 pm

wdelaney72 wrote:
Ah, Good point. After reviewing Steve's installation instructions, I see that it's
-10dbv. So what would you have to do to add a switch to change it back and forth from -10dbv and +4dbv? Like the factory stock switch on my SLP?
My first project: 1959HW to 12xxx Courtesy of the Late Great Rockstah a.k.a. Edward Van Abrahamian

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 pm

blfrd wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
This was confusing to me as well. I couldn't understand what Steve's effects loop had to do with this setup. I know Rockstah was wiring it "LIKE" an effects loop but I think Steve's is different. No?

Anyway, I thought the 2nd amp was unmodified?
If you have a 2203 amp and have Steve's effects loop, you can go from the load box into the effects loop return and you have an instant power amp only setup. Will not work this way with 1959 as the volume knob is before the loop return in that setup. 2203, volume is after.

Again, though, this is -10db INSTRUMENT LEVEL, which is different than what Rockstah mentioned. Most loops expect LINE level. SDM's loop could be modified to be line level, but you'd need to ask SDM how to do so. If you are using the load / out box with the Jensen transformer than you are already at instrument level and good to go.

I tried this again today and for some weird reason, didn't have hum problems... There's certainly a really cool compression going on.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

JJGray

Post by JJGray » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:05 am

This unit was made for going back and forth between instrument level and line level.

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/lls-2des.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check it out, and it doesn't even need power.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:59 am

i think the best way to slave is to bypass the preamp fo the amp the way rockstah did or just use a tube poweramp,but you have to watch how much it colors your sound.
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IloveMyMarshall

Post by IloveMyMarshall » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:15 pm

bmf5150 wrote:i think the best way to slave is to bypass the preamp fo the amp the way rockstah did or just use a tube poweramp,but you have to watch how much it colors your sound.
Isn't that what the Fx return does? Bypass pre amp tone stack direct to pi and power section correct?

I cant believe you guys have not tried P windsor? Im serious ebay is giving them away 200 215 all day long, hell best of both worlds power amp you can either run el34s or 6L6s . I got mine pretty well tuned up thanks to SDM once agin to the rescue, still not completely done. However, wait to you hear her for the money spent Im still shaking my head in disbelief :shock:... The litte 100 watter can deliver some tone, had to change caps to sozos and other specific mods but man so far Im impressed. For the money I will buy all day long! Rubys power tubes not bad at all and tungs in the pre. I run a SDE in the effects loop atteuate and bam. wham bam thank ya mam!
Metro 2204
Metro JTM 45/50
Next Super lead??
http://www.soundclick.com/ilovemymarshall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:19 pm

IloveMyMarshall wrote:
bmf5150 wrote:i think the best way to slave is to bypass the preamp fo the amp the way rockstah did or just use a tube poweramp,but you have to watch how much it colors your sound.
Isn't that what the Fx return does? Bypass pre amp tone stack direct to pi and power section correct?

I cant believe you guys have not tried P windsor? Im serious ebay is giving them away 200 215 all day long, hell best of both worlds power amp you can either run el34s or 6L6s . I got mine pretty well tuned up thanks to SDM once agin to the rescue, still not completely done. However, wait to you hear her for the money spent Im still shaking my head in disbelief :shock:... The litte 100 watter can deliver some tone, had to change caps to sozos and other specific mods but man so far Im impressed. For the money I will buy all day long! Rubys power tubes not bad at all and tungs in the pre. I run a SDE in the effects loop atteuate and bam. wham bam thank ya mam!
i wondered about those amps,cant beat it for that price!!would be a perfect slave amp!
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:19 pm

SDM,is a great guy and a great friend!!!
My EVH sound clips.

IloveMyMarshall

Post by IloveMyMarshall » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:22 pm

You can say that again and ten fold over, If the world was half as nice and helpful as this cat we would have zero issues for sure! Stan you need to try one of them, at first they are dry brittle and down right ughghgh, power amp tho plug and play sounded great, she came with JJs pre and Rubys power and i am impressed with these Rubys for sure, lot of clean head room, and i am diggin it, I got her almost soundin like 84 fairwarning tone to describe it. And for some reason the cheap old 90.00 SDE 1000 in the fx loop is like the icing on the cake?? Other pedals out front ;-)

However, with the cap changes and other mods steve walked me through, I was literally floored when I turned and cranked her up. The price forget about it lol thats a non issue like i said 200 bucks come on no way in hell could anyone build for that price. My sm57 is here I need recording stuff again, but once i do I will post her up.

Hey Stan the amp is a bus tho man ;-) Hugeeeeeee head cab almost hung off the sides of my bottom 4/12 cab lol plenty of room tho inside to work on her pcb very easy to work as long as you know what you are doing. Thank you once again! Steve (sdm) freekin god guru from above thats all I can say man! I'm going to buy another, funny I told coot I wanted it for power amp but man after I got inside and did some tweakin around im really liking the sound. Amp to Cab the fx loop sound nice, thats what I will be doing to my 2204 very soon, dropping the jose master and installing Steves loop! Im sold!

By the way 'Happy Easter' ya all!!
Metro 2204
Metro JTM 45/50
Next Super lead??
http://www.soundclick.com/ilovemymarshall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dtdionne

Post by dtdionne » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:36 pm

I havent come close to finishing this thread and I'm almost positive that someone will have said this but I am slaving a 1959 into motherload that has an variable line out xlr connector and I slapped an all-in-one XLR to 1/4" lowz/hiz transformer on the XLR from the line out and than into a Bogner XTC Instrument input and it sounds great.
Late 70's EVH tone or bust

dtdionne

Post by dtdionne » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:40 pm

It's funny you mention that, I've been wondering what would happen if we used 3 12ax7's and 2 el34's with a builtin load for the preamp section and 2 or even 4 el34's for the power section. It's doable, a pig would make the foundation for a single unit system.
dirtycooter wrote:I would have to agree with you on that Rockstah-it just adds something "more" like you said. What it is exactly is very hard to put your finger on but its definitly there.

I don't have a load box at all or I'd be trying that with my Mojave and my EVH just to see how it sounds and what it does. Just to see what it "adds" so I could hear it in person.

I wonder if its similar to the way those tube mic pre's massage the signal further and sweeten them up only this is also adding headroom and a certain character?

And instead of just a preamp tube here you got the power tubes doing it as well. The signal must pick up some gain at the phase inverter and get sweetened up and then blossom like a flower when it hits the powersection tubes.

I've always felt that this is what his sound had that not many others could get-a sweetness with more gain on tap when you leaned into it hard but also a wonderful blossoming effect after the initial attack of the pick.

I'd die laughing if they started making mic pre's now with 6550's, 6l6's, and el34's after what you guys stumbled on here :lol: You could put the brown sound on vocals now too! :!:
Late 70's EVH tone or bust

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:36 am

i think this is the best way to use the power amp,bypassing the front end of the plexi...
My EVH sound clips.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:01 am

rockstah wrote:
RACKSYSTEMS wrote:So the 2nd Marshall is a tube power amp not a full amp thats why it sounds good. Dave

yes indeed. on this clip the spec of the power amp Marshall was:

input - 250k pot - to the grid of v1a which had 15k grid resistor - 15k cathode resistor - the plate resistor was two 47k resistors and from the junction of those resistors was .1u cap going straight into the phase inverter.

Ive changed a few things since then and will post another clip soon. ;)

the main plexi being slaved is a super lead. 820/.68u on v1- .0022u coupling - 33k/500 tone stack - .68u on v2a - .022u output caps -
mark,you should do a layout of your power amp setup..
My EVH sound clips.

vkaxeman

Post by vkaxeman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:45 pm

bmf5150 wrote:
rockstah wrote:
RACKSYSTEMS wrote:So the 2nd Marshall is a tube power amp not a full amp thats why it sounds good. Dave

yes indeed. on this clip the spec of the power amp Marshall was:

input - 250k pot - to the grid of v1a which had 15k grid resistor - 15k cathode resistor - the plate resistor was two 47k resistors and from the junction of those resistors was .1u cap going straight into the phase inverter.

Ive changed a few things since then and will post another clip soon. ;)

the main plexi being slaved is a super lead. 820/.68u on v1- .0022u coupling - 33k/500 tone stack - .68u on v2a - .022u output caps -
mark,you should do a layout of your power amp setup..
Looks like Mark published it on Page 2: http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;