VH 10 June 1977 boot and Ed's gear

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: VH 10 June 1977 boot and Ed's gear

Post by Strat78 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Ha ha, all good stuff, but getting a little heated here. I've had blowouts with both you guys in the past, but now I can't remember why :lol: but we are all still here and getting things done. The community is in pretty good shape right now, (more so after a good forum de-lousing here tonight), lets all keep up the good work and go lightly. :toast:

EJSLPlexi
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:14 am

Strat78 wrote:Ha ha, all good stuff, but getting a little heated here. I've had blowouts with both you guys in the past, but now I can't remember why :lol: but we are all still here and getting things done. The community is in pretty good shape right now, (more so after a good forum de-lousing here tonight), lets all keep up the good work and go lightly. :toast:
:lol: yeah we are all supposed to be fighting the same fight here :lol: :peace:
I offer this and i will shut my mouth after posting it
according to chip ellis and chris canella(EVH GEAR) eddie used the mighty mite on VH I.
they have no reason to lie so i am satisfied with that answer since my ears hear a pickup like that anyway.
I just dont hear a lower output Alnico 2 pu. the only time i heard a 78 really cook on any clips was on a bray modded marshall.
thats not what ed's marshall had going on at the time.
RALLE who has the right marshall also showed with clips that the 1400 sounds scary close to VH I so now i will STFU. :wink:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:39 am

But then again, many have said that a 1400 doesnt have enough push, which would indicate a 1300.

I've been back and forth so much on this that I have shot myself in the foot and am discredited :lol:

As far as the closest I've gotten, was a 5 1/2 pound hard ash KnE Azusa with a new production DSD going into a Metro 12xxx/ 4x12 cab with 6402 coned speakers. v1b 820/.68ufv2a 820/.68uf with a Lar/Mar . I didnt get a clip of this setup as reference though. Maybe I was just inspired that day ? Regardless, I made a clip with a strat with floyd and 'Custom Custom' through that 12xxx (mod5 on that one though) and it sounded WAY off.

Nobody has said for sure when VH1 was recorded, and really, at this point, even Eddie might be mistaken about things.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:39 am

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:43 am

Tone Slinger wrote:
Nobody has said for sure when VH1 was recorded, and really, at this point, even Eddie might be mistaken about things..
I can get on board with a PAF only if his marshall was not as they say(stock except for some very minor non gain related changes)
A duncan 78 through a bray marshall sounds perfect to my ears but when the 78 is played through a stock 12XXX it does not have the same effect on me. :what:
and that last part about eddie not remembering correctly is highly likely. cocaine is a hell of a drug :lol:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 am

Tell me about it :clap:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:56 am

wjamflan wrote:
Roger - Ed said he recorded VH I with a PAF in Franky that was taken from his Gibson 335 and re-wound beforehand by a pro in Santa Barbara (SD). We've discussed it many times before. Your confusion comes from your time here with all of the great clips of folks getting convincing tones with other pickups/setups. The "why not" was my way of throwing up my hands.
Absolutely, lots of ways to get "there" and that is what I was trying to convey. But for my rig...this is what works.

I was also thinking that I would bet that Ed gave Seymour a few PAFs to "rewind". He (Seymour) came back with a few options saying, " here is a little hotter and here is hotterer. See what you think."
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:58 am

rgorke wrote: I was also thinking that I would bet that Ed gave Seymour a few PAFs to "rewind". He (Seymour) came back with a few options saying, " here is a little hotter and here is hotterer. See what you think."
Now this is totally logical, even Tube tramp said eddie was buying the PAF's up so i would guess he would want to get them all rewound right?
Also seymour was quoted as saying
"“I was doing a lot of oddball things for Eddie [Van Halen]. He wouldn’t tell anybody what he had in his guitars, and he was telling people that he was winding his own pickups. But he wasn’t.”

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:34 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:
Also seymour was quoted as saying
"“I was doing a lot of oddball things for Eddie [Van Halen]. He wouldn’t tell anybody what he had in his guitars, and he was telling people that he was winding his own pickups. But he wasn’t.”
Wow, I always believed him and was very impressed that he rewound his own pickups... Now to find out he was full of shit on that too... It makes sense now, I can't imagine rewinding a pickup by hand/sight. :shock:

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm glad everyone's getting along now. It's always nice to be told you don't know what you're talking about. But just in case there are any lingering doubts about what I've posted about the SD Evenly Voiced Harmonics wind, here are two that MJ wound for me in 2003.

I did not specify the wind - that is how they came to me stock.

Carry on. I know LG would be proud....

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:57 pm

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/c ... del_great/
9.85K is high. dont understand why she wound them that high. the standard spec for the 78 is and has been 9K
you have the original EVH ones which i was told are the same?
they will definitely push a preamp more than the 9K ones
Last edited by EJSLPlexi on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:00 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/c ... del_great/
9.85K is high. dont understand why she wound them that high. the standard spec is and has been 9K
Just as long as you know they exist...

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:03 pm

wjamflan wrote:
9.85K is high. dont understand why she wound them that high. the standard spec is and has been 9K
I have never seen or heard of a EVH or 78 wind to 9.8K until you posted these?
MJ is usually on the ball and unless told to by the customer to do otherwise sticks to the script if you know what i mean.
I will email her and see whats up with this?
they may have changed the spec slighty since those originals which would suck for anyone that has bought a newer one and wanted the real/original spec! Duncan may have gotten paranoid and not only changed the name to 78 but also the spec to keep EVH inc off his back!
9.85K is significantly hotter than a 9K that i have.

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:
wjamflan wrote:
I have never seen or heard of a EVH or 78 wind to 9.8K until you posted these?
MJ is usually on the ball and unless told to by the customer to do otherwise sticks to the script if you know what i mean.
I will email her and see whats up with this
Save your energy. You don't have to e-mail her. They're my pickups sitting on my desk in front of me. I'm telling you I didn't ask for a hotter wind or any wind. I just ordered two after seeing the profile on Legendary Tones way back when. Could it be the newer '78 model is slightly different? I don't know. I just posted what I knew and didn't appreciate being called out for it. Good luck.

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:13 pm

WTF? the info for the EVH here says 8.75K WTF? :evil: either duncan is inconsistent all all hell or?
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/fa ... s_the_evh/
Last edited by EJSLPlexi on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.