Maybe Ed IS telling the truth !

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Maybe Ed IS telling the truth !

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:38 pm

SLP1959 wrote:
vanhalen5150 wrote:Then again, so does the famous mystical dynamite pic.
Exactly, such a crusial thing...., but nobody is able to repost it? :?

(maybe it was confused with some loadbox pics Mark C. posted here a while ago?)
Not to stir that up again, but there are a few of us here that have seen it. It may have only been used for a short time, but it was a large ohmite resistor. No doubt in my mind.
12000 Metro Kit

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:04 pm

motrock wrote:I think its funny how people try to make 5150 Studio's out to be frickin Area 51! LOL
Now that's Funny...... :lol:
Star*Guitar

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:23 am

I do remember the so called resistor at the back of the amp photo and from what I can recall it's just a photo of the amp with no Ed in it and the thing at the back could be just a lead photographed from a certain angle.

The whole photo might have not have been Ed at all but some other guy trying it out and photographing it.

It's not much at all really.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:57 pm

There are times Ed definitely did not tell the truth, and not just about gear -- which naturally makes all of what he says suspicious. Also times when it appears he did tell the truth. But IMO we can't just expect him to come out with everything -- or Alex w/ the details of his snare sound, etc. Very few of the guys whose gear I have looked into have come right out with the whole signal chain, not holding anything back. It's their personal tone, tricks of the trade, etc. So I don't blame them one bit. For ex: It might have taken you 5, 10 years to find your favorite trout stream or whatever -- you just going to tell someone how to get there if they ask? Heck no, mang!
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

kennzo5150

Post by kennzo5150 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:42 pm

all i know is he didn't lie about using an ibanez destroyer. my guitar proved that.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:45 pm

kennzo5150 wrote:all i know is he didn't lie about using an ibanez destroyer. my guitar proved that.
Or a Greco? :wink:
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:37 pm

I am really starting to think that maybe Ed really didnt lie too much, of course the telling of just ONE lie makes a person a 'liar', BUT, I think Ed is telling the truth pretty much.

I am really getting at the whole 'cranked' amp thing. I guess Ed kept lot's of extra Marshall heads around to ensure he always had backup's

There are some photo's showing only one Marshall being used (older small logo model). It's was the only one with the light on. Late '77 or early '78 photo.

I also really think that th amp head itself is, after all, Ed's 'secret'. I think Ed really did use one particular head to get his best tones. I don't know how much he, or the techs he had around him new about why this particular head sounded so good.

There are lot's of guy's here on the forum's that have figured it out though. Seems like a stock 12 series pretty much.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:08 pm

I think if you can get Ed's right hand down, crank a 12-series then get his left hand down -- in that order -- you/anyone will be close!
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:25 am

Ed's right hand is Ed's patent IMO.

kennzo5150

Post by kennzo5150 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 pm

greco? hmmm not so sure about that one. does it have a shelf on the back neck join? my destroyer has one same as ed's.

Blix

Post by Blix » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:38 am

50w 67` Plexi dimed, no pedals or anything, just a cheap Korean Peavey Wolfgang and a cable. 74' Marshall cab with G12H's

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6822593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6822594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Me thinks that with Eddies hands instead of mine, and some warmer reverb and recording gear, this would pretty much nail the earlier tone.. :)

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:06 am

Nice 1st post !
Did you tweak that '67?
Some warmer reverb and recording gear, granted. A better voiced pup would get you even closer.
Could be even the mike...
GJ
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

TWANGGG
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by TWANGGG » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:33 am

Hey Blix and welcome. Those clips are fantastic! They sounded familiar so I did some digging and found I was so impressed when I first heard them back in 2004 I saved them to my hard drive for future reference.

When you recorded those did you do some eq'ing along with adding reverb? Any info would be appreciated as I've forgotten any details from years ago.

Blix

Post by Blix » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:14 am

Thanks JimiJames. The amp was stock, it just had general maintenance done as changing filter caps. I have a bunch of pics of it's insides if anyone is interested to see.

TWANGGG: Yeah, I posted them on the Plexi Palace forum back then, fun times! :)

No eq. It was a Shure SM57 into a Telefunken V276 micpreamp into a CAD Maxcon console where the reverb was added, recorded on a Alesis Masterlink.
Here's that old thread: http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/v ... f=1&t=4853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:42 am

That gain level is in the ballpark of Ed.
Add a Echoplex and a Phase and the Variac and it would be even more so.
Then add Ed, Sunset Sound Ted and Donn.

I see some people saying that this sort of gain isn't possible with a stock amp but I have done it countless times with my old Plexi which I don't have anymore and countless other guitarists had that gain level in the 70s so I don't know what the big deal is and have no idea what these people are using or may have used at one point, it's all a mystery to me.

The right stock Marshall and speaker cabinet at full volume and there you go, dimed Marshall gain with a lot of volume and power.