Randy Rhoads slaved his Marshalls? (clue Ed did as well?)

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Tone Slinger

Re: Randy Rhoads slaved his Marshalls? (clue Ed did as well?)

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Yeah, alot say they would reamp regardless of whether Ed did or didnt.

I would like to be able to explore these different set ups. Back when I used a superlead, I actually believed the whole 'Modded by Jose' info. I never new what 'slaving' was then.

I'm just now ready to build a clone after years of using the standard 'preamp gain' 800 , jubilee and 900 series Marshall's. I did have the ears to pick out a greenback loaded cab though, when I bought my first rig back in '90.

From the clips I've heard so far, I am leaning toward Ed's old tone being a dimed head. The reamped clips I've heard so far, just dont have that 'pure' type response. They sound a bit boxed in and muffled.

Please submit clips of your slaved set up if you use one. I'd like to hear more.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Everyone is using a different mic'd setup . Clips ony do so much . Comparative clips are needed from the same setup. Otherwise it's only subective.
12000 Metro Kit

SLP1959

Post by SLP1959 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 pm

VH5150 is right...... you need to find out yourself what works best for you.

But anyway I got a clip here, slaved 1959HW from a week ago. Whole band recorded with one mike from distance in the rehearsal room. We played this song just for fun at the end of the night after 'some' beers.... All very spontaneous, second attempt that night, our singer didn't had the lyrics either and was honestly too tired and drunk to sing :lol: and I hadn't played that song for years. But for some reference I share it anyways. Excuses. excuses.... :lol: (I probably delete it soon)

btw: I'm not exactly after Ed's sound. I like his old sound but I want a more heavier bigger sound, say a mix of Schenker/Rhoads/VH/Moore/Accept/Savatage type of guitarsound.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8941420 (slaved 1959HW)

boy did I screw up the solos there...... :oops: :lol:
Decided to do the sirens with a long pick slide!

Enjoy!
Stock Plexi! Are you deaf????

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:13 pm

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8941420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (slaved 1959HW)

boy did I screw up the solos there......
Decided to do the sirens with a long pick slide!
With all the squeals and slides, it almost sounds like Randy is playing VH! The leads have that Diary and Blizzard vibe. I dig it.. i can go either way on the slaving for the Rhoads tone but i like this for that Rhoads tone. As for the mxr distortion +, if it is anytihng like the dod then to my ears it makes everything woofy. The distortion + apparently is nastier and thinner though so that would also work for this type of tone.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:11 pm

I can hear old Eddie in that for sure. I also hear other 'marshall' type player things going on as well (I think your playing goes in other directions, as compared to 'evh clone' type playing) Where did the extra gain come from ?

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:57 am

As far as noise and feedback go

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujM-RzA_eu0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think slaving helps to cut down the variables of amps like Marshalls.

The first slaving amp's output is hitting a constant or near constant load and just a one amp Marshall is hitting the speaker cabinet load and the speaker cabinet impedance load variables and other variables are more important. Farty bottom end, great bottom end, not enough perceived gain, a good gain level etc etc can all be affected by the speaker cabinet and how it interacts with the amp.

Slaving sort of bypasses a lot of these problems because the first amp where most of the tone is being shaped is hitting a constant or near constant load and not hitting a variable speaker cabinet. When the first amps signal hits the second power amp and then the speakers, most of the tone shaping has been done by the first amp interacting with a constant or near constant load.

What gets sort of lost in slaving is the amp interacting with a real speaker cabinet and so slaving sounds sort of smoother and less direct IMO because the first amps output section is interacting with a constant or near constant load and there are less output variations than with just a amp and a speaker cabinet and the directness and immediacy of the amps output section interacting with a speaker cabinet is sort of lost with slaving.

Ed had pretty good sounding speaker cabinets that he'd been collecting over the years though.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:59 am

Very well put, and I agree completely. I think that is a very good description.

SLP1959, I love that pick scrape in the beggining of your RWTD version. It fit the car horn thing real well.

SLP1959

Post by SLP1959 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Thnx KP & TS for the comments! Really appreciate it!
Yep lots of Randy/Ed there, for some years my top 3 are Ed, Michael & Randy!
I dig old Adrian Vandenberg too, great tone he had in Vandenberg.

The extra gain comes in the first place from slaving. Makes it more distorted but in a good way! To push my Marshalls in heavy metal territory I do a clean boost with an Mxr Zakk Wylde Overdrive and after that I add a little bit midboost from a boss ge-7. The Zakk pedal is really great to push old plexi's. It really works well for that.

KP: I tried the MXR dist+, I think it sounds horrible..... How Randy could get such a sound (his '81 live bootleg sounds I dig) with that is beyond me! :shock:

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:04 pm

Your singer isn't drunk....he's just trying to sound like Dave. :lol:

I thought the tone was good. Certainly a good building block for sure.
12000 Metro Kit

SLP1959

Post by SLP1959 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:12 pm

leadguy wrote:As far as noise and feedback go
I think slaving helps to cut down the variables of amps like Marshalls.
Probably my favorite Ed there! 8)

But hence how close he stands to his cabs to get some feedback. :wink:
Would you stand so close in front of a straight Marshall into cab on 10? Not me without wearing earplugs. Maybe Ed did wear earplugs? Who knows.
You right about losing some 'interaction', and that's what I do hear in that '78 solo here as well. I do hear a 'slaved' Marshall there. Some rawness is gone there, it's smoother.

SLP1959

Post by SLP1959 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:16 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:Your singer isn't drunk....he's just trying to sound like Dave. :lol:
Good one! :lol:
vanhalen5150 wrote:I thought the tone was good. Certainly a good building block for sure.
Exactly, that way you can get Ed but also a lot more than Ed!

plexified
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by plexified » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

This is one of his first amps .
rr4.jpg
Ampeg VT-22 / Sans Altec 417's
(8.92 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
He pulled the Altecs out and loaded them into his first marshall cabinet with the Altecs on top . He then replaced the speakers . One is a stock Ampeg square mag ( intense tone ) speaker ,not sure what the other is .

These speakers also were much lighter than the Altecs removing some 25lbs from the Ampeg VT-22 . He was a skinny cat and couldn't cary more than a guitar case .

He had to lease Marshalls at first . This amp was miked many a night with MXR D+ in front . Super peel the paint type of tone . But it was hidden on the side of the stage and and he was pressured to run Marshalls by everybody .

When he eventually caved in with the big wall of Marshalls he bought his own and loaded them all with the Altec 417's and I wouldn't doubt he slaved the Ampeg . Steve Morse used to use em , but his tone was darker . The Altecs definately woke it up . Eventually ALL Marshall , but pretty cool lineage .

I own a V-4 wich is a 100 head with reverb and its just huge sounding . Just Loves pedals .

Bakerrj2
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Bakerrj2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:52 pm

That sounds great, was that two full stacks daisy chained or slaved? SLP1959 Mark II 100watt?