Multi Purpose Load Box and LineOut

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Multi Purpose Load Box and LineOut

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:04 am

@Ampsnob. See that the very issue I have with the speaker motors. Although they do act as inductors because they are built like "part" of a speaker, are they actually acting like a speaker as the amp sees? It would seem to me that you would still need the magnets there to do so. With out the magnet the coil will not move, therefore doesn't send back that voltage response? Maybe I'm thinking too much on this but is that part significant?

If one taps the signal off one of the motors, will it differ if you add a magnet causing the coil to move? :scratch:
12000 Metro Kit

ampSnob

Post by ampSnob » Sun May 12, 2013 6:07 am

It looks much more like a speaker than a resistor but not perfect. In theory, the magnet doesn't need to be there if nothings moving, and more importantly the response of a real speaker has a lot to do with how it moves the air (or resists moving in it) and therefore varies how much current it eats up (what the amp sees as the load), so all in all it won't respond exactly like a speaker. It will sound somewhere in between a resistor and an actual speaker
vanhalen5150 wrote:If one taps the signal off one of the motors, will it differ if you add a magnet causing the coil to move? :scratch:
Excellent question, rather than guess what should happen according to physics, I'll give it a try someday and see what actually happens. I heard that Weber actually shipped some of these with magnets attached to them so there might be something to it.

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Sun May 12, 2013 9:48 am

Well then, it seems that one could take a G12M-25 watt, measure it's resistances (displacement, not ohms) and then build accordingly and get pretty much to a gnat's ass. Would also be interesting to see/know how G12M's measure against G12H's, V-30's, G12-65's etc. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:23 am

The old style webber motors looked like this.
Attachments
massin.jpg
massin.jpg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:50 pm

So, reviving an old thread.

In terms of line outs...are these just for slaving or could they be/are they used as an input to a DAW for recording. In other words, take the line out to a recording input, Digi 002r or Mbox or Presonus firebox, etc and use your amp tone without the amp? I tried it and it works but the tone is fair, at best. Kind of buzzy but that was with just a quick recording.

Thoughts? is one (line out) better than the other for these purposes?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't see why not. I think this is where the balanced and unbalanced thing comes into play which I don't know much about but I think you want a balanced input, like a mic would be, in which case the transformer thingy comes into play. Or perhaps I'm way off base. :palm: So far though, you've got the right idea. Try it and see what works for you. :what:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 pm

So, I've been trying and seem to get a really good clean tone but the dimed tone seems very metallic or buzzy. Maybe I'll mess around with different types. It definitely works and believe me, it is far better than any of those guitar tones included in garageband, even with the metallic aspect.

Not sure if balanced or unbalanced would make a difference.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Put up a clip if you get a chance.

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:35 pm

So who can tell me how this Jensen transformer is wired? 8)

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:47 am

Here is how I would wire it if it was in a separate enclosure:
IMPORTANT POINTS:
This assumes you have this wired in parallel with a heavy duty resistive load box.
Don't just stick this in the output jack of an amp or you will fry the Jensen, the amp, etal.
The use of the cliff jacks is important here because I am trying to isolate the input and output grounds.
The input cable shielding ground is provided from the amp/load box.
The output cable shielding ground is provided by the amp that the box is driving.

"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:59 am

vh junkie wrote:Here is how I would wire it if it was in a separate enclosure:
IMPORTANT POINTS:
This assumes you have this wired in parallel with a heavy duty resistive load box.
Don't just stick this in the output jack of an amp or you will fry the Jensen, the amp, etal.
The use of the cliff jacks is important here because I am trying to isolate the input and output grounds.
The output cable shielding ground is provided by the amp that the box is driving.

YEAH BUDDY, That what I'm talking about. Nicely done. This is what I need. Got just a couple of quick questions though. My enclosure is plastic but I do have a metal plate in there that I've mounted the JT-6110 to. Will that work ok for the ground stuff?
Also, I see you have the Orange and Red tied together but they don't connect to anything else, right?
Lastly, the brown wire to the pot ground and to the output ground, that lug on the pot is also grounded to the base of the pot too, right? Can't see it in the photo but just want to make sure. :thumbsup:

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:08 pm

The plastic enclosure will work, but it won't shield the wiring within.
With the plastic enclosure, you could use either the plastic(cliff) or metal(switchcraft?) jacks. For metal enclosure (recommended), I would use the cliff jacks.
The orange and red are only tied to each other.
The brown wire is only connected to the pot and the output ground.
There is no connection from the hidden pot lug to the pot body.
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Great info brother. I will finish it now with the plastic enclosure since I already had it and started it this way and if shielding is an issue, I'll re-do it in a metal one. Thanks a ton bro. :thumbsup:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:01 pm

vh junkie wrote:Here is how I would wire it if it was in a separate enclosure:
IMPORTANT POINTS:

great Job! I was looking at this last night and had an "idea" about what you suggested but wasn't confident enough to post.

I was looking at the "Test Circuit" schematics on here.

How big is that Jensen Tranny?

http://jensen-transformers.com/datashts/6110kb.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Kabaam! And just like that, we're off and running. :toast:
Yes, it works well and I prefer it over the other line out I was using. Just sounds better but in a very difficult way to describe. Like it's all guitar and amp now without anything else. Like a cleaner guitar/amp signal. Had it roaring pretty good too and didn't seems to have any shielding issues. I'm liking it. The pot works much better too. The other one went from quiet to raging in a sneeze. Probably the wrong taper pot. 8)