Multi Purpose Load Box and LineOut

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Multi Purpose Load Box and LineOut

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:50 am

I only use the ammo box into speaker output 2. It adds a great sound even with a regular attenuator in speaker 1. The problem with any load is heat.

My new idea is to simply wire 4 arcol's like a 4/12 cab, then parallel each of those resistors with a Webber speaker load.
12000 Metro Kit

julkke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by julkke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:53 am

In case anyone is interested here is a great read on parallel loads: http://aikenamps.com/ParallelLoads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:41 am

julkke wrote:In case anyone is interested here is a great read on parallel loads: http://aikenamps.com/ParallelLoads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting how that reduces the highs and lows but increases the mids releatively. It also reduce the impedance rise at higher frequencies that you get with a regular speaker load.
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:
julkke wrote:In case anyone is interested here is a great read on parallel loads: http://aikenamps.com/ParallelLoads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting how that reduces the highs and lows but increases the mids releatively. It also reduce the impedance rise at higher frequencies that you get with a regular speaker load.
That's the trick with these things. Keeping the load (resistive, reactive or combo) matching what you get from the speaker. I noticed the same thing when plugging a load into one speaker jack, the volume went down but the dynamics were crushed.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 pm

What type of load though?
12000 Metro Kit

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 pm

I think things are getting a little confusing here. What I was trying to show in this thread was a multipurpose RESISTIVE load with:
1)The Rockstah Line out
2)The Ralle Line out/Speaker out (at least as I under stood it!)
3)An extension to add a transformer coupled output to approximate what we Mark Cameron and Robin L. described here as being used for slaving in in Ed's early live rigs. Coupled with the Plexi converted to a power amp shown here:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=21
you can have a hell of a lot of fun! Especially, if you put some sort of reverb after the lineout and before the Power amp.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 4&start=29

I don't think back then Ed gave a rats ass about the limitations of it being a purely resistive load... hell he would probably just stick a GE-10 in the chain!

As far as the Aiken stuff goes: He is describing how to build both kinds of load primarily as a bench tool.
For some tests you NEED a resistive load.
For some tests a reactive load is better.

Can you use his reactive load designs as a start to build a home brew attenuator? I would think so.
Might you use a reactive load in place of the resistive load shown in the load boxes above? Sure!
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Yes, the Aiken stuff is talking mainly from a load bench tool aspect. I guess my questions with the coupled tranny would be is your amp still seeing both resistive and reactive? A line out from a resistive still allows your amp to see somewhat of a reactive load...or does it? It goes directly into another amp and not a speaker. Does the primary on the coupled tranny act as a inductor? I'm thinking it does.
12000 Metro Kit

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:37 pm

The transformer definitely has one purpose, which is decoupling, which can undo ground loops, and eliminate weird oscillations. Another likely purpose is to step down the voltage. The Jensen I am using is a 4 to 1 reduction in voltage, but you could go 10 to 1 etc. All transformers are not equal... the Jensens are expensive(and used in high end audio equipment) because they do not alter the frequency response of the original signal. I don't think their inductive qualities really come in to play here.

Just to be clear on why a reactive load might be useful as a bench tool:
I resistive load is going to be the same impedance across ALL frequencies. A real speaker (even though rated at 16ohms for instance) reflects a different impedance back to the amps output stage at different frequncies. This is why, as Aiken points out, it can be useful to observe oscillations that might not be reproduced with a resistive load.

An attenuator probably needs to take in account this frequency dependent reflection, along with the peculiarities of human hearing in its design in attempt to sound to the listener like there is no tone change as the volume is lowered.
- Gunny Highway

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 pm

vh junkie wrote: An attenuator probably needs to take in account this frequency dependent reflection, along with the peculiarities of human hearing in its design in attempt to sound to the listener like there is no tone change as the volume is lowered.
I think THAT is the biggest challenge for an attenuator and a few have figured out how to do it.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Just one tiny thing... That line out of "mine" isn't quite how I have it... Here's a schem of how it's done...
Maybe I'm missing something, but the main load is suppose to be in serie with that line-load... The reason for the resistor being that small is two reasons;
1. it doesn't need to be an effect resistor since the main load of 4, 8 or 16 ohms take the whole heat.
2. the small resistor is in parallel over the speaker, wich bring the value for that package ( small reistor/speaker ) down to less that 0.5 ohms.
these 0.5 ( or 0.45 ohm ca ) ohms ends up in serie with the main load, wich is well enough within the margins.

The big main 8 ohm load in my pic here, symbolizes your big main load...

Please correct me if I'm not seing the whole picture here...
:wink:

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Can someone help me understand how the 20 ohm load works out with that switch. I can't seem to get the math right on that. :?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:28 pm

If you look at the schematic at the bottom of the first page, you can see that from bottom to top the load stack increases from 4 to 8 to 16 to 20 ohms. The switch shorts out the top part of the stack, so the amp only sees 16 ohm instead of 20.
Last edited by vh junkie on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Gunny Highway

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Why yes it sure would, wouldn't it? :palm: The two 8 ohms in parallel (4 ohms) get bypassed. Stoop. :? :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:43 pm

OK. I've ordered all the stuff to build this thing but where do I get the aluminum plate used to suspend the resistor within the enclosure? Anyone?

jnew

Post by jnew » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 am

And how did we come up with the Jensen JT-6110 transformer info?