My MXR 6 Band with VariPlex!

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: My MXR 6 Band with VariPlex!

Post by rockstah » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:25 pm

for me the blackbacks had an upper high mid spike that is harsh/brittle that i didn't like.

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:49 am

THat is true, the BB have a harsh upper spike.... not as much the V30 though... I have a 6402 to install... should make clips with my Alex Attenuator, 1777, 6402 and stan spec speakers soon

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:30 am

Ed has stage volume and then there is what is being miced and going through the PA and they both are not the same things.

Ed has 2 mics on 2 bottom cabinets in the DOTG photos.

Ed doesn't use the top cabinets, and they are for backup.

The 2 mics are on the top speakers of the 2 bottom cabinets.

One miced cabinet is connected to one head of a 3 head daisy chained set and the other miced cabinet is connected to another head of another 3 head daisy chained set .

One 3 head daisy chained set and the associated 3 cabinets are used for Eruption and backup and the other 3 head daisy chained set and the associated 3 cabinets are used for YRGM and the main set.

Ed could have the JBL's miced because the mic is on the top speakers of the 2 miced bottom cabinets and the JBL's are in the top speaker positions in the mixed JBL/Celestion cabinets.

If the JBL's are miced, then it goes a long way to explaining why the late 1977 and 1978 boots sound the way they do and maybe VH1 as well but the strange thing with VH1 is the sharp 5Khz rolloff associated with some Celestions, so if Ed was using 2 mics on a JBL for VH1, then maybe Ted is cutting the frequencies around the 5Khz mark at the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mlm2nDy ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 am

leadguy wrote:One 3 head daisy chained set and the associated 3 cabinets are used for Eruption and backup and the other 3 head daisy chained set and the associated 3 cabinets are used for YRGM and the main set.
You'll probably start calling me names again, but i don't give a f@#%. Where does this come from???? It goes directly against what Ed said the day the pics you use to prove your theory were taken. It would be nice if you finally answered this one for the record, instead of just blowing off what Ed himself said. See below:
On a recent return flight from Japan, Eddie's original 100-watt Marshall amps were lost in air freight, and he's replaced them with Music Mans, Laneys, and new Marshalls. "I like three 100-watt amps for the main setup," he says. "After I do my guitar solo I change guitars and amps to the second setup, and the third setup, also three amps, is for back-up. I have each guitar plugged into a different setup so that if anything goes wrong all I have to do is grab another guitar. This saves my worrying about trying to fix the amp. I use voltage generators, which can crank my amps up to 130 or 140 volts. Amps sound like nothing else to me when they are cranked so high, but you have got to keep a fan on them because they blow so often. You have to retube them every day, and they usually don't work for more than ten hours of playing."

Guitar Player November 1978 (http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/interviews/evh/gp1178.php)

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 am

Could just be me but, it appears like the cab Roth is sitting on is a slant cab with the JBL's, but the club stage photo has them in a bottom straight cab.
12000 Metro Kit

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:21 am

There seems to be quite a difference between the 2 raw mic tracks and the Guitar Hero ISO with Sunset Sound reverb room re amped reverb.

The Guitar Hero ISO with Sunset Sound reverb has much smoother harmonics and the raw tracks have more jagged harmonics similar to what some of the clips are like at Metroamp, Ralle, Strat78 etc

The Guitar Hero ISO re amped reverb track is the 2 mic raw tracks mixed and then re amped through a Alto Lansing speaker into the reverb room with probably multiple mics in it and then compressed etc.

RWTD raw tracks centre mic

RWTD raw tracks off centre mic

RWTD Guitar Hero ISO with reverb

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:27 am

The 2 mics on a JBL for VH1 is a strong possibility.

The 5KHz cutoff is not so sharp on the raw tracks and the Alto Lansing and the reverb room and Ted might be responsible for some of the sharper 5kHz rolloff on the Guitar Hero reverb ISO's

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:35 am

leadguy wrote:The 2 mics on a JBL for VH1 is a strong possibility.

The 5KHz cutoff is not so sharp on the raw tracks and the Alto Lansing and the reverb room and Ted might be responsible for some of the sharper 5kHz rolloff on the Guitar Hero reverb ISO's
Dave Friedman has been saying that for a while. He also said a stock plexi and a mxr 6 band. Why do we doubt Dave, even when its right in front of out own eyes? :what:
12000 Metro Kit

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:38 am

Thats the other thing as well. We tend to call the GH iso's raw tracts at times when really they are not raw at all. Just isolated from the rest os the band. The short clips of RWTD are probably to be considered "raw".
12000 Metro Kit

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 am

Could just be me but, it appears like the cab Roth is sitting on is a slant cab with the JBL's, but the club stage photo has them in a bottom straight cab.
He's probably got JBL's in top and bottom cabs but who knows.

The bottom cabs are the ones being miced and it's the top speaker in the bottom cabs that is being miced and the JBL's are in that position in the Whisky Destroyer photo.
wjamflan wrote:
leadguy wrote:One 3 head daisy chained set and the associated 3 cabinets are used for Eruption and backup and the other 3 head daisy chained set and the associated 3 cabinets are used for YRGM and the main set.
You'll probably start calling me names again, but i don't give a f@#%. Where does this come from???? It goes directly against what Ed said the day the pics you use to prove your theory were taken. It would be nice if you finally answered this one for the record, instead of just blowing off what Ed himself said. See below:
On a recent return flight from Japan, Eddie's original 100-watt Marshall amps were lost in air freight, and he's replaced them with Music Mans, Laneys, and new Marshalls. "I like three 100-watt amps for the main setup," he says. "After I do my guitar solo I change guitars and amps to the second setup, and the third setup, also three amps, is for back-up. I have each guitar plugged into a different setup so that if anything goes wrong all I have to do is grab another guitar. This saves my worrying about trying to fix the amp. I use voltage generators, which can crank my amps up to 130 or 140 volts. Amps sound like nothing else to me when they are cranked so high, but you have got to keep a fan on them because they blow so often. You have to retube them every day, and they usually don't work for more than ten hours of playing."

Guitar Player November 1978 (http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/interviews/evh/gp1178.php)

As far as I know, no one owns this forum and anyone can post anything they like. If you don't like something then ignore it and move on or raise some half valid point and don't make a song and dance about it.

I've already covered the DOTG pedalboard as I see it and how it could possibly work in a live venue.

Anyone viewing these forums can make up their own minds about it all, there is nothing on this forum that is 100 per cent right and even if Ed and Rudy turned up on this forum there would be some people still not believing them.

There is nothing stopping you or anyone else from putting up their own Ed's Pedalboard thread based on the DOTG photos.

Start with no pet theories and just look at the photos and what's in them.

I have changed a lot of my previous assumptions based on what a photo will show, like the JBL's at the Whisky for example and Mighty Mites in 1977 photos etc etc.

I thought at one time that a Super 70 might have been in the Franky but this was before I knew of the Mighty Mite photos.

No one starts out being 100 per cent right. New information just narrows down some things and makes some things more possible and other things less possible.

You could give your explanation of why 2 guitars are going into the pedalboard (Franky into EQ, Destroyer into Phase) while Ed plays YRGM and why Ed is bypassing the EQ when there is only the Franky going into the pedalboard.

Also why 2 cabinets are being miced etc etc

All I've seen so far is you saying something about it's not Ed's usual equipment and that is true but only really for the amp heads and not the pedalboard setup or the Univox setup.

Ed lost amp heads coming back from Japan and not the pedalboard or the Univox or his guitars.

Anyway I'm taking a break from all this BS so see you all later.

I think I've come to the point where I don't give a fxck what Ed did.

Have a look at Roy Smeck tapping in 1932

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:43 am

Leadguy,

I'm not debating whether you've "covered the DOTG pedalboard as I (you) see it and how it could possibly work in a live venue". Anybody who reads this board regularly knows that. I am also not telling you whether or not you can post. I'm asking you to explain one of your most important conclusions b/c it is in direct contrast to what Ed said.

Also, I, as a contributing member to the community, have the right to ask a question. I have the right to make counter arguments if I have information that is relevant to the conversation. The above quote from Eddie is from the day the DOTG photos were taken. It's not a "pet theory" that I'm somehow making up. Your reading of the pictures does not go along with what Ed said that day, or with the audio evidence from the time. Why is that so threatening?

We all have profited from discussions held on this board, and I'm not afraid to say that I have learned from discussions you've started or been a part of. Please keep an open mind and read exactly what I'm asking about and I think you'll see what I'm saying.

FWIW, I've said alot more than what you are giving me credit for, and I have posted audio examples to explain what I'm saying. For whatever reason, it seems that you didn't take the time or make the effort to dig a little deeper and profit from (or critique) that information. Your response has been no response, and yet, you've posted the same basic idea about your take on the DOTG photos etc ad nauseum. All I'm asking for is for you to take into account that your "pet theory" doesn't fit with all of the available info.

My .02.

Santi

Post by Santi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:00 pm

guys... don't argue!!! This is by far the best forum on the net. There is a lot to learn here.
I think we all share the love for the Van Halen music and what Eddie meant for guitarist.
Now, I don't know how to upload photos but there is a photo that has been uploaded before that shows the MXR eq taped on the amp... and it looks like there is a Boss EQ on the floor in front of the Echoplex.
Maybe Edward was going to the MRX for Eruption and the BOSS for the rest of the songs.
Just an idea. Can any of you please upload that photo or explain me how to do it???( I know I should learn... sorry!!!)

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Santi wrote:guys... don't argue!!! This is by far the best forum on the net. There is a lot to learn here.
I think we all share the love for the Van Halen music and what Eddie meant for guitarist.
Now, I don't know how to upload photos but there is a photo that has been uploaded before that shows the MXR eq taped on the amp... and it looks like there is a Boss EQ on the floor in front of the Echoplex.
Maybe Edward was going to the MRX for Eruption and the BOSS for the rest of the songs.
Just an idea. Can any of you please upload that photo or explain me how to do it???( I know I should learn... sorry!!!)
Santi - I'm not trying to argue. I'm asking a question that he won't answer. As far as the photos go, I (as well as many others) have posted them in multiple threads already.

Regards,

Bill

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Santi wrote:guys... don't argue!!! This is by far the best forum on the net. There is a lot to learn here.
Click post reply, look below writting box and you'll see "Options" and "Upload Attachment". Click upload attachment. Click "browse" and this will take you to your computer files. Look in photos or wherever you have photos stored. Click photo and save. Click "add file". Must be 800 pixels or less. You can downsize photos by using windows "paint"

Or you can argue about stuff until your as blue in the face as a 6 band eq. :lol:
12000 Metro Kit

Santi

Post by Santi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Thank you guys! Here is the photo. I might be wrong though
Attachments
pic.jpg
(324.97 KiB) Downloaded 786 times