Is this the lone tweak of Ed's plexi?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Sparky4444
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Is this the lone tweak of Ed's plexi?

Post by Sparky4444 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:20 pm

MrBeasty wrote:As anyone ever tried to mess with a UA 1176 to add distortion?
no...absolutely not...not for the kind of lo-fi signal that a guitar amp generates...there will NOT be any appreciable gain added to the track from signal processing...now, adding some warmth or even-ordered harmonic's with a LA2A or 1176, plus tape saturation-compression, is absolutely part of the sound...but not the kind of gain we're talking about...

any distortion coming from the signal at that point would just be nasty and undesirable...

Sparky4444

Post by Sparky4444 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Thorny wrote:.. A plexi can go from perfectly clean to Ac/dc with no change on the vol knob all by how hard you pick. Turn it up to 10 and it's an incredibly musical aggressive tone with gobs of sustain but it stays MUSICAL!

..it all depends on what you're idea of "clean" is...I pretty much have to disagree with you on this one, in a practical sense...try this live on stage sometime...you may be able to clean up a bit, but not to the extent you're implying

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 pm

You're forgetting the role of the variac in all this. Crank a plexi variac'ed with a DSD or Duncan Custom with an MXR EQ and Phase 90 and I'm guessing you'll get it.

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:29 pm

What about a treble booster like ritchie blackmore and brian may used? would that add gain?
Years ago i used a real cheapo electro-hamonix screamin tree box and it added a good amount of gain and of course treble/presence as well but i could tame that with the two knobs on my SLP back then :mrgreen:
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:04 pm

halen wrote:Leadguy,from the value's you listed above on Eds amp and from my experiance,even with the amp wide open-variac to 90-85 volts will not have the distortion that Ed had on VH1 unless a distortion pedal( some type) was used.
Pete Thorn does a good demo of Ed's amp spec (or close to it) with a variac and an Echoplex preamp, and it shows how different pickups (with different output signal levels) sound through it, but Pete Thorn is still using attenuation and it's not exactly Ed's amp and guitar/pickup(s) and effects.

The variac brings the output wattage of the amp down a bit and that can be a good thing for when using just one cabinet and the variac also lowers the headroom somewhat.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HlmLdsqXZc[/youtube]
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

rdodson

Post by rdodson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 pm

leadguy wrote:
halen wrote:Leadguy,from the value's you listed above on Eds amp and from my experiance,even with the amp wide open-variac to 90-85 volts will not have the distortion that Ed had on VH1 unless a distortion pedal( some type) was used.
Pete Thorn does a good demo of Ed's amp spec (or close to it) with a variac and an Echoplex preamp, and it shows how different pickups (with different output signal levels) sound through it, but Pete Thorn is still using attenuation and it's not exactly Ed's amp and guitar/pickup(s) and effects.

The variac brings the output wattage of the amp down a bit and that can be a good thing for when using just one cabinet and the variac also lowers the headroom somewhat.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HlmLdsqXZc[/youtube]
Ed has always ALWAYS been about using just one cabinet per head. That's almost a mantra with him.
Ron Dodson
Dallas
Romans 9:16

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 pm

rdodson wrote: Ed has always ALWAYS been about using just one cabinet per head. That's almost a mantra with him.
+1 in the studio :thumbsup:

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:04 am

halen wrote:Pete achieve's a good sound using the Dimarzio Super distortion but it still needs that extra.VH1 has that extra.Thats why myself and some other members here(Goodguest-Sparky4444-others) believe the samething.
I am hearin more than a DSD myself :wink: as a matter of fact i think he used the lower output than the DSD Duncan SH5 with a little extra gadget :whistle:
But pete has a great tone going on there and if i had that i would be content as i am sure he is :thumbsup:

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:10 am

stef wrote:
Thorny wrote: Dime a plexi and play the RWTD riff. When you hammer on the chords in the riff it will sound musical and clear. Put a pedal on that and youll never get it to sound right.
I play with everything on 10 and have tried some pedals in front: bsm, dod250, ds1, rat, maxon 808...tweaking the pedals etc... Maxon sounded the best but more Lynch and RAT like than evh... If he did use the od- boost pedal then volume I was not on 10 IMO. Strat78 and Ralle and Thorn proved that plexi (12000) on 10 is enough :arrow:
Put the blue mxr eq in front of the 12000 and it goes even beyond the gain levels on Vh1 with a 13k ceramic pup in the guitar (with the enormous hiss too)
The 808 is a tube screamer copy so it being the best sound pretty well is saying an extra tube is required or the gain from a cascade was used then that opens up more cans of worms cause then too many things are possible ....like a second volume control (like the white one on the back) where the volume is set to 1...but I am total agreement that whatever is going on he has everything set to 10 on the front even the bass and that is a biggy clue pretty well saying bass light treble heavy tone going in.

The big mystery is when you start cascading the clarity and the ability to use his other effects properly just don't sound right ...so were back to square one ..stock plexi with an unknown box that is low/light and treble/heavy with a volume control, harmonically rich distortion and a unique edge.

We did experiments way back on urei preamp circuits.....the 1108 fet was interesting ..some said they heard something vh others like R stash said no way ...the only one we didn't try was with the actual mic pre Ed used on vh1, that's the all tube 1008 which can give @40 db boost and produce a flat frequency response over 20hz to 30khz within 1 measly db........all the front ends of his name brand amps try and do this IMO or mimic his effect chain gain and probably mystery box and that is why his tone isn't exactly the same.

Oddly enough the 1008 is a cascode circuit, something covered in other threads, (some with jose mods in relation to EVH vh1 tone too I might add) ...not a cascade circuit the cascode circuit typically represents the highest possible gain you can get from a 12ax7 with the widest possible bandwidth...obvious why it's used as a mic pre .....this also follows Ed's own theory of how he likes his tone to sound like a stereo, I'm thinking he's not talking about seperation but bandwidth???? :thumbsup:

And cascode circuits were used extensivly in high end stereo audio equipment of the past for that very reason....all the so called brown sound boxs , pinnacles etc and many pedals that have come out using fets in the last 5-10 years have been cascode type circuits and many proclaiming to be the brown sound box ..so there might be something to them. One guy comes out with the word brown sound and 100 others jump on the copy/clone band wagon so good look finding a tuned real mcCoy in the rat pit. :stars

stef

Post by stef » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:34 am

The "extra" is an additional ep3 and/or mxr eq + reverb and studio magic - all that should be more than enough with a good pair of hands. My style of playing, especially right hand attack changed when I bought the attenuator and started playing with everything on 10 and w/o od boxes. The harder you hit the strings the more gain you get and it's not subtle. A lot of (good and pro) players have a hard time adjusting to this after decades of pre amp (master volume and od boxes) gain use and that's why some of us doesn't sound that distorted whit a same amp (12000). It's really sum of all parts.
I have a friend who's been hitting the strings very hard since he started playing (he's a very good guitar player) and he naturally sounds very distorted (in a good - VH1 way) when playing through my amp, while others sound completely different with same amp, guitar and cab. This friend of mine has never used a non master volume amp, he likes rectumfriers btw, but it came naturally to him.... :shred:

stef

Post by stef » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:45 am

Good Guest wrote:
stef wrote:
Thorny wrote: Dime a plexi and play the RWTD riff. When you hammer on the chords in the riff it will sound musical and clear. Put a pedal on that and youll never get it to sound right.
I play with everything on 10 and have tried some pedals in front: bsm, dod250, ds1, rat, maxon 808...tweaking the pedals etc... Maxon sounded the best but more Lynch and RAT like than evh... If he did use the od- boost pedal then volume I was not on 10 IMO. Strat78 and Ralle and Thorn proved that plexi (12000) on 10 is enough :arrow:
Put the blue mxr eq in front of the 12000 and it goes even beyond the gain levels on Vh1 with a 13k ceramic pup in the guitar (with the enormous hiss too)
The 808 is a tube screamer copy so it being the best sound pretty well is saying an extra tube is required or the gain from a cascade was used then that opens up more cans of worms cause then too many things are possible ....
The Maxon sounded best out of those od pedals me and a friend of mine tested that day.We were not going for the VH1 tone at all, juts testing pedals and pickups, cabs... The best high gain tone we achieved on that day was: 12000 (on 10), 4 x g12c, DSD and a blue mxr 6 band in front (mid boost), it went even beyond VH1 gain levels. Somewhat less gain through 4 x V30 but also very good sounding...
Last edited by stef on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jp0971

Post by jp0971 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:56 pm

weatherby wrote:This is alittle off topic but a close friend of mine told me to join the metro amp site which I did today.I found out from him that he was banned because a member here accused him(very persistent) as being a member that was banned sometime ago.Do things like that happen here.
Yes they do nitro, I thought you would have figured it out by now
YMI5150? wrote:well that jives with the shot floating around that is illegidly Ed's baby. No sign of a .68 mustard on V2, just the fat cap. I'm relatively new to the world of Plexis but I dont think its a true statement to say that most plexis have just an 820 ohm resistor on v2. I believe they actually came with a 820 in parallel with a .68uf mustard.
I understand that picture was taken after it was rewired in the mid-late 90's.

Judging by the philips cap on V1B (probably stock), I would assume he originally had one on V2A as well (with the 470uf or whatever it was that Jose added)

I don't think plexis had the V2 bypass cap until around '68 (12 series super lead).
'68 Super Lead
'69 50w (bass circuit)
'75 50w
'76 50w
'78 Super Bass

paulscape

Post by paulscape » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:03 am

I have a fat switch/knob on my bray plexi - do you think that is related to the cap in question?
Eat 'em and smile

bobtec
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by bobtec » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:26 am

If you don't think Sunset Sound had anything to do with it ...Nuts......The Beatles would of done Sgt Peppers on a 2 track in pauls bathroom...Ed's hands, dimed plexi SS.Sound great reverb and Don :worthy:

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:53 am

bobtec wrote:If you don't think Sunset Sound had anything to do with it ...Nuts......The Beatles would of done Sgt Peppers on a 2 track in pauls bathroom...Ed's hands, dimed plexi SS.Sound great reverb and Don :worthy:
Bobtec ifor one am convinced that the studio enviorment/ted and donn and maybe some extra gadget(could be something ted or donn added at the conesole or a pedal eddie had om that one recording,etc)that played the major part in that final tone we all love. :thumbsup: :listen: